Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Third Party Products and Support:
mcClassifiedAds V2.x features list
musiccreatures

Posted: 12/17/10 23:54 
Here is an outline of the mcClassifiedAds V2.x module (Which will hopefully be released early 2011)

One of the primary focuses of Version 2 is to help monetize your Jamroom websites, while still offering a robust classified ads solution. I hope to enhance most of the existing features while taking advantage of the new Jamroom 4.2 features, such as the new credit system.

Version 2.x will be written from the ground up, allowing me to re-structure the database tables to be a more normalized schema. As mentioned above, one of the primary goals is to help monetize a Jamroom site. Currently with V1.x, each quota may be configured to enable or disable the various features offered. Version 2 will include a 3rd option: Allow Upgrade. The Allow Upgrade feature will be one of the main features for V2. The idea will be sort of like eBay’s item listing upgrades. While a user is posting their ad, they may upgrade certain aspects of their ad. For example: A user may 'Feature this ad', which the user will need to pay, via Credit System or PayPal (If the feature is flagged as Allow upgrade) Here is a list of features that may be offered as an upgrade to users:

- Upload an image: Even though the master admin may configure each quota, to allow for image uploading with their ad, Version 2 will allow master admin to give each quota x amount of images per ad with a max of y images/ad.

- Feature this ad: This upgrade will display the users classified ad in the featured ads section. The featured ads section will be the top 1-5 ads in a Classified Ad Categories Ad list. Master Admin may configure how many featured ads will be displayed at the top of each category. If there are more featured ads than there are featured ad slots, then the featured ads will be placed into a weighted rotation. This will allow a more balanced display for each featured ad.
- Ad Renewal: As with V1, the master admin may allow quota members the right to renew ads x amount of times. This feature will allow members, whose quota does not allow for ad renewals, to auto-renew their current ad. Essentially, this upgrade is a way for users to increase the length of time that their ad will run before it expires.

- Post Ad: As with V1, the master admin may restrict the amount of ads that a quota member may have running at one time. This upgrade will allow members who have exhausted their ad max -or- members who are in a quota that has the 'Allow Ad Posting' set to allow upgrade.

- Time Release: This upgrade will allow a member to post an ad that will run at a later date.
(In V 1 this is called Allow Start Dates)
- Additional Categories: This upgrade will enable the user to have their ad displayed in more than one category.

Along with the upgrade feature, here is a list of other features I plan to add to mcClassifiedAds V2.x:
Enhanced Categories control:
- Premium Category: Only quota's that have 'Allow Premium Category posting' set to yes (or allow upgrade) may post to these categories.
- Category Leveling: This feature will allow the master admin to control what quotas may post or view this category. For Example: If the Category View Level is: 0 and the Post Level is: 3 then quotas with a level of 3 or higher may post ads to this category but any one may view the categories contents. If the View level is: 3 and Post level is: Then only quotas whose level is 3 or higher may post or view the contents of this category.
- Featured Ads slots: This setting is how the master admin controls the amount of featured ‘ad slots’ that will be displayed at the top of this category. If there are more featured ads in the category than slots, then featured ads will be placed in a weighted rotation. Weighted rotation is where each ad has a special flag called "weight", which contains a numerical value. The x amount of ads(as set by the Featured Ads slots value) with the highest "weight" are displayed and then each of the ads, "weight" value is decreased until all ads weight values are 0. In which case, their "weights" are reset.

- Cost for upgrade: Each category will contain the cost for each upgrade offered. * Each quota will also have a discount setting, in percent (%) which will allow master admin to offer discounts to certain quotas, for upgrades

- Parent Categories: This will enable for a hierarchical type of classified ads system. This feature was scheduled to be added to version 1.x but unfortunately I wasn't able to implement it without radically reconstructing the database and a ton of areas of code. With this feature being scheduled for development, at the beginning of the project, it will be much easier to add.
Example of parent categories: For Sale > musical Instruments > Guitars

Enhanced image support:
- Configure each quota member’s rights to upload 1 or more images with each ad, or to upgrade their ad to allow for 1 or more images to be uploaded.
- Allow for x free images with a maximum of y upgraded images.
- Restrict image uploads by file type and/or file size.

Ad Interval overriding: Just like Version 1.x, the master admin can control the "ad interval" or time an ad will be displayed before it expires. This is done in the module settings. V2 will give the master admin the ability to override the master setting by setting a different "ad interval" at the quota level. This will give the master admin the ability to increase or decrease the ads display length (in days), on a quota basis.

Upgrade Discounting: As mentioned above, master admin will be able to offer an upgrade "discount" at the quota level. This will be measured by percentage and will allow for a + or - percent. The ability to use positive or negative discount will give master admin the best control over upgrades by either decreasing or increasing upgrade costs at the quota level.

Ad Renewals: Each quota may be configured to allow a member the ability to renew their ads (x) amount of times before it is no longer available for renewing. Version 2 will introduce the auto-renewal feature which will give the member the ability to flag their ad to be auto-renewed for (y) amount of cycles.

Print Me: Each time an ad is displayed, a printer icon or -print- link will be displayed. Once clicked, the ad will be loaded into a popup window that is formatted for printing.

Abuse Report: This feature will allow users to report ads or ad responses that they feel may be spam or offensive, to the Master Admin. If a member receives an offensive response or a response they feel is spam, they may file an abuse report, and select ‘Block user from future responses to this ad’.
NOTE: A PM and/or email may also be sent to the master admin, each time an Abuse Report is filed (If enabled in the modules settings).

There are other minor features that were not mentioned in this post and please feel free to post your questions, comments, concerns and/or feature requests to this forum thread.

Thanks,
Tim McCune

bodawg

Posted: 12/22/10 22:34 
Looks like you've almost covered everything.. the only thing I can think of at this point is maybe an advanced search option although I'm not sure how difficult that would be? So instead of like Craigslist where you need to click on a state first then it displays all of the categories in that state, it would be a multiple field search form if I were looking for musical instruments in Chicago Illinois only or be able to specify a particular instrument in a particular area and so on. I think it's kind of important to be able to find the stuff you're looking for in the area your in.

I made up a multiple search form for artists on my site with help from Sixstring it works awesome, but I'm not sure how I'd do it with this though? (or what would need to be done)

Just a thought, I know you've taken on a ton of work with V.2 already!

-Rob

Posted: 12/22/10 23:26 
What about allowing the ad poster to write tags with their ad, and also the module would take certain fields, such as city, state, zipcode, country, and title, and that information could indexed for searching. Do you thing that would accomplish the same idea that you have?

Thanks,
Tim McCune

bodawg

Posted: 12/24/10 07:27 
Yeah! That sounds great Tim!
I like the 'tags" ... great idea!

and something like what Six developed- http://www.jamroom.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23315&highlight=multiple+search
This multiple search works awesome for artists, if you can get it to work for the classified fields or you have something similar that would be great Wink Just a thought anyway

It all sounds great, Im pretty excited about the whole thing!

Have a good one..

-Rob

musiccreatures:
What about allowing the ad poster to write tags with their ad, and also the module would take certain fields, such as city, state, zipcode, country, and title, and that information could indexed for searching. Do you thing that would accomplish the same idea that you have?

Thanks,
Tim McCune

Posted: 12/24/10 08:54 
Likewise. I started taking classes in web application development, 3 terms ago. Its exciting for me to put it to use Smile

-Tim

bodawg

Posted: 01/31/11 18:26 
Hey Tim,

I was on "C's List" today and noticed the handy little (pic) next to the ads that had pics attached to them which I noticed I use more than I realized, especially when looking for in particular items. Also cool, was that you could check a check box that would allow you to display only ads that had pics attached to them in your search results.

Food for thought... it really is kind of a handy feature though..

Any update on the release of V2?

Thanks,

-Rob

Posted: 02/28/11 00:27 
Tim,

I had the idea that if it's possible, it would be cool to be able to post to other Jamrooms classifieds and allow others with the classifieds mod to post to mine.

Just food for thought,

D

voxwerk

Posted: 03/10/11 08:23 
I modified the language file and replaced the words Ads and Ad with Project and Projects.
But that didn't change all mentions of the word "Ad". Is there another place where these words might be found?

for example

Code
Be the first to Post an ad in this category
Be the first to Post a Project in this category

or

Code
There are no ads in this category
There are no Projects in this category

voxwerk

Posted: 03/10/11 08:25 
Nevermind, I found it in the skins files.

voxwerk

Posted: 03/10/11 13:07 
Is there a way to make the Ads searchable using the Advanced Search feature that Jamroom already has?

MONEE

Posted: 06/07/11 14:50 
is this still in the works?

EnjoyRC

Posted: 09/02/11 05:16 
Will you be adding a way to display of listing of newest X number of classifieds that have been posted? Or featured ads? With links to take you to the Classifieds section.

This would be a nice feature on the front page of Jamroom to promote the classified listings.

Earlier you said...

musiccreatures:
I am also working on the template functions and variable modifiers to give Jamroom site owners the ability to embed Certain aspects of the module, on what ever pages they wish. For example, a list of a users ads could be embedded on their template, or the home page could show the X newest ads that are featured.

Hey Tim,
Did this ever materialize?

Posted: 09/02/11 11:42 
Thanks for your suggestion. I do apologize for the delay of this project. I had to take some time off and when I came back, I had so much going on in the code, Its taking me a while to figure out where I left off. My overall goal is to allow jamroom administrators the ability to include a tpl file into the users profile page. This tpl file will display a list of currently running ads that the member may have running.

In addition, I plan to give jamroom administrators the ability to include a similar tpl file into a desired page(Such as the home page) which will display X number of featured ads followed by x number of regular ads. Displayed in the order of newest to oldest.

Is this what you are inquiring about?

Thanks,
Tim McCune

EnjoyRC

Posted: 09/02/11 12:27 

musiccreatures:
Is this what you are inquiring about?

Thanks,
Tim McCune

Exactly!!

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Third Party Products and Support