Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help:
Songs don't dl or stream completely
amp3dmoshpit

Posted: 07/16/05 20:57 
I am having now problem that is driving me nuts. I can upload and slurp files up to my limit (16 Megs set using .htaccess) just fine. However when a user goes to stream or download the file, only 2,000,000 bytes get streamed or downloaded. It is the same exact size each time. I checked the file sizes in the songs dir for the artists and they are 4.78 MB. But when you try to dl the file, 1.90MB (2,000,000bytes) gets sent. I tried deleting the .htaccess file in the songs dir but it made no difference when using the jamroom software. If i made a direct link, i could dl the entire song. Is there a setting that allows only 2,000,000 bytes to be streamed and downloaded from a song?

BTW...using 2.44 with bonus 2.43 and powerpack 1.01

Last edited by amp3dmoshpit on 07/20/05 19:05; edited 1 time in total
djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 07/17/05 01:47 
Did you set the upload limit in htaccess or php.ini?

Also, in the docs it shows you need to edit 2 settings...make sure you have done them both so that everything works OK.

The other possability is that you are on a windows server, if you are, I can try to find the thread where someone else had the same problem which was directly related to PHP on windows.

Cheers!

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
amp3dmoshpit

Posted: 07/17/05 06:05 
I set the upload limit to 16 MB using a .htaccess file in the main directory and it works fine for uploads. This issue is regarding downloading the files. I am on a RHEL3 server, not windows.

It's a bizarre problem that just started a few weeks ago. The only changes I have made were the upgrades from 2.43 -> 2.44 along with the addition of the powerpack and bonus pack upgrades. I just tried saving the playlist.m3u file to my harddrive and playing from there...it streams the first 2,000,000 bytes of the song then stops. If I delete the .htaccess file in the songs directory and create a new .m3u file by hand linking to the file and bypassing the stream.php script i can stream the entire song.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/20/05 15:44 
Can you post a link to a song so I can test it from my system here?

Thanks!

- Brian

amp3dmoshpit

Posted: 07/20/05 16:56 
Apologies if you aren't into the heavier side of metal...but you can see what is happening with the volume down. The same problem happens with every song on different computer setups with different browsers and players. The source mp3 file in the songs dir is full length. http://www.earassault.com/bands/bands/44/ is a link...just click the play hi-fi or even dl the file. Only 2,000,000 bytes will stream or 1 min 34 secs of the 6 min 1 sec song or download even though the file is nearly 7 megs on the server. This has only recently been an issue.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/20/05 17:05 
I'm seeing the same thing here.. If this was all working, and then recently just stopped, about the only thing I can think of is that your host has enabled some type of bandwidth monitoring/throttling. If you place a downloadable file (say a zip archive) on your server, can you download more than 2MB? That will tell us if the problem is with PHP or apache.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

amp3dmoshpit

Posted: 07/20/05 17:28 
It's actually a dedicated server, no one else resides on it, no reason for the isp to limit me. I haven't installed mod_throttle, mod_tsunami, or mod_bandwidth. If i remove the .htaccess file in the bands song dir and create a link to the mp3 directly bypassing jamroom, it works fine.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/20/05 17:30 

amp3dmoshpit:
It's actually a dedicated server, no one else resides on it, no reason for the isp to limit me. I haven't installed mod_throttle, mod_tsunami, or mod_bandwidth. If i remove the .htaccess file in the bands song dir and create a link to the mp3 directly bypassing jamroom, it works fine.

Can you send me via e-mail your Jamroom master admin login? send it to bigguy@jamroom.net - I'd like to log ni and check it out of that's OK with you.

Thanks!

- Brian

amp3dmoshpit

Posted: 07/21/05 21:53 
DO NOT UPGRADE PHP to 5.0.4 It appears this is what is causing the error. I found this in a DEV forum:

I noticed this is already discussed in PHP-DEV mailing list.
But I want to address it here since this is critical.
Many file related functions are affected in php 5.0.4
They stop reading at 2,000,000 bytes.
Examples are readfile() and fpassthru().
This is due to this change:

RCS file: /repository/php-src/main/php_streams.h,v
retrieving revision 1.95
retrieving revision 1.95.2.1

I wouldn't recommend upgrading from 5.0.3 to 5.0.4 if you are unsure about
this issue...

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/22/05 09:23 

amp3dmoshpit:
DO NOT UPGRADE PHP to 5.0.4 It appears this is what is causing the error. I found this in a DEV forum:

I noticed this is already discussed in PHP-DEV mailing list.
But I want to address it here since this is critical.
Many file related functions are affected in php 5.0.4
They stop reading at 2,000,000 bytes.
Examples are readfile() and fpassthru().
This is due to this change:

RCS file: /repository/php-src/main/php_streams.h,v
retrieving revision 1.95
retrieving revision 1.95.2.1

I wouldn't recommend upgrading from 5.0.3 to 5.0.4 if you are unsure about
this issue...

This problem must only affect certain system (likely in the C library), as I don't see this issue on my PHP 5.0.4 install here. It's fairly easy to work around though so I'll get that change in the next version.

Thanks!

- Brian

amp3dmoshpit

Posted: 08/15/05 10:53 
The stream works great now with Jamroom 2.50, however the download doesn't work still. Is there anything I can do to fix this with a little code?

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/15/05 16:16 

amp3dmoshpit:
The stream works great now with Jamroom 2.50, however the download doesn't work still. Is there anything I can do to fix this with a little code?

There's nothing wrong that I can see with the download code, nor has anyone else reported any issues with it so far. If you can provide a test link, I can test it fro here and ensure it is not your browser/computer that is having an issue.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

amp3dmoshpit

Posted: 08/15/05 17:15 
It was actually the same problem with the stream and download. Once it hits 2,000,000 bytes it shuts off in php 5.0.4+ and up. The fix works great with the stream though. Was just hoping to get the code so I can apply to the downloads and i'll be rocking again.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/15/05 17:24 

amp3dmoshpit:
It was actually the same problem with the stream and download. Once it hits 2,000,000 bytes it shuts off in php 5.0.4+ and up. The fix works great with the stream though. Was just hoping to get the code so I can apply to the downloads and i'll be rocking again.

I didn't relaize this problem affected the downloads as well. I'll have to update the code for Jamroom 2.51.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons