Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Suggestions:
Shorter and better urls for the next release?
Emil

Posted: 11/27/06 11:57 
I couldn't find any topics about this. Maybe I searched for the wrong terms or maybe noone has made a topic about this. What do I know.. Surprised

Aaaaaanyway.. I was wondering. Brian, have you ever thought about doing something about the long dynamic php url's that jamroom are currently using?

I'm talking about url's like this:

http://www.makingtheartist.com/ranking.php?mode=artist&order=3&pagebreak=10&header_template=jr_ranking_header.tpl&row_template=jr_ranking_row.tpl&footer_template=jr_ranking_footer.tpl&replace[]=Newest+Artists

They are miles long and really a nightmare for SEO.

Maybe you could include some mod rewrite function in a future release? Make it possible to have url's like:

http://www.makingtheartist.com/ranking-artist-newest-artists/

Something like that would be very very helpful.

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 11/27/06 12:59 
You can use the link masker in the tools area if it's a real concern. I've found that all the rewrites necessary in the .htaccess file to get like what you want, actually causes more problems in troubleshooting then it's worth.

With the link masker it will do what you want just as easily, without adding to your problems.

Hope this helps~

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
Emil

Posted: 11/27/06 14:46 
I didn't know that existed. I'll try it and see if it does what I want. Thanks Smile

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 11/27/06 17:34 
This is something I'll be looking into for Jamroom 3.1, but I have to be honest and say that it may not be a "drop in replacement" that will work with URLs you have currently in place.

Unlike a lot of CMS's / blog software, the number of "options" you can pass to Jamroom is very large, and there's just no way that I can see to "automate" the passing of these variables and values between pages without it:

1. being really heavy on the server
2. bypassing the built in caching mechanism
3. making you rewrite each URL you already have (there could be some help on this part with a template plugin for URLs).

I'll be looking into this deeper for Jamroom 3.1 and hopefully can find a compromise or solution.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

Shayan

Posted: 01/03/07 11:50 
Just wanted to add:

I've noticed that the title for each pages never change. It is a really important feature for search engines to pick up your pages to be indexed in them.

for example:

for each and every artist page:

it always shows
"Welcome to YourWebSite"

rather can we do something like:

"Band Name"

same goes with song page. better to have something like:
"Song Name by Band Name"

rather than same "Welcome to YourWebSite" for all pages.

I tried editing that in the template but wasn't successfull as the title cariable will have generated from the core files.

hope someone will comeup with ideas to do it or brian will consider adding it in the next version.

smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 01/03/07 12:03 
use this smarty tag: {$REPLACE_0} like this:

<title>{$REPLACE_0}</title> in your jamroom overall header, and then in the url for each page, pass an extra attribute like this:

&replace[]=Your+Page+Title

add that on to a page like this:

http://www.yoursite.com/index.php?t=jr_community&replace[]=Community

then, the page would have the title "Community"

you could also do a default title if none is specified by doing something like

{if !isset($REPLACE_0)}
{assign name="REPLACE_0" value="Default Title"}
{/if}
<title>{$REPLACE_0}</title>

Hope this helps!

Shayan

Posted: 01/03/07 12:24 
smith thanks for the info...

I was hoping it to generate the titles from the pages itself rather than me manually writing it.

i.e:

for song pages - song title
for artist page - name of the artist
for video page - name of the video
for rating page - site name rating

and so on...

smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 01/03/07 12:32 
duh...silly me.

in theme templates, if you are using the jr_theme_template to include files, you can do something like this:

{jr_theme_template template="jr_overall_header.tpl" tpl_dir="skin" skin="Cobalt" title="Artist: `$BAND_NAME`"}

and use any variables available in that template in the title area.

smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 01/03/07 12:42 
and upon further review, i just saw that there is a {$title} variable in the jr_overall_header.tpl file, so in any template that calls the jr_overall_header.tpl file, as long as you place this line before the include or jr_theme_template or whatever, your page title will become whatever you assign it:

{assign name="title" value="your page title"}
{include file="`$SKIN_DIR`/jr_overall_header.tpl}

Shayan

Posted: 01/03/07 12:50 
I am gonna try this tonight.

this is great!!

I think if you could put as a tutorial/hack many newbies will be glad and helped from it!

this si something i was planning to ask for long time but didn't see anyone talking about it! Search engines do love proper titles.

smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 01/03/07 12:55 
will do! dont bother with the replace_0 stuff above. you can disregard all my previous posts except this one:

smith.kyle:
and upon further review, i just saw that there is a {$title} variable in the jr_overall_header.tpl file, so in any template that calls the jr_overall_header.tpl file, as long as you place this line before the include or jr_theme_template or whatever, your page title will become whatever you assign it:

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 01/10/07 01:02 

Emil:
I couldn't find any topics about this. Maybe I searched for the wrong terms or maybe noone has made a topic about this. What do I know.. Surprised

Aaaaaanyway.. I was wondering. Brian, have you ever thought about doing something about the long dynamic php url's that jamroom are currently using?

I'm talking about url's like this:

http://www.makingtheartist.com/ranking.php?mode=artist&order=3&pagebreak=10&header_template=jr_ranking_header.tpl&row_template=jr_ranking_row.tpl&footer_template=jr_ranking_footer.tpl&replace[]=Newest+Artists

They are miles long and really a nightmare for SEO.

Maybe you could include some mod rewrite function in a future release? Make it possible to have url's like:

http://www.makingtheartist.com/ranking-artist-newest-artists/

Something like that would be very very helpful.

Emil, SefJam is a new Jamroom Add-On which will go some way towards solving this for you. More info in this thread:
http://www.jamroom.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=60151

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

Ultrabubble create things.
Emil

Posted: 01/14/07 05:40 
Thanks. That's a great add-on Smile

Shayan

Posted: 03/22/07 03:13 

smith.kyle:

didn't work for me

this is what i tried

Quote:
{assign name="title" value="`$BAND_NAME`"}

{jr_theme_template template="index_artist_header.tpl" type="skin"}

I even tried the other two suggestion that you had

for some reason the $title or $system_name is not assignable to any other value it seems.

may be Brian will be able to find us a way to make $system_name value changealbe to the proper page headers.

Page titles are really important feature as far as search ranking goes and all the jamroomers will certainly appreciate this.

Last edited by Shayan on 03/22/07 03:40; edited 1 time in total
SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 03/22/07 03:18 
Does your index_artist_header.tpl contain your <title> tags within the <head> tags?

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

Ultrabubble create things.
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Suggestions

12Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons