User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Ultrabubble:
SefJam: UltraFriendly URLs for Jamroom
SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 01/08/07 10:32 
SefJam 1.0 for Jamroom 3

Readable Links for Artists & Audiences

SefJam improves your Jamroom URLs, making them shorter, readable, meaningful and permanent. Your artist names remain in the address bar at all times, you'll never see the members directory again. And the ungainly long urls to the ranking and chart scripts are a thing of the past.

SefJam costs £25 per Jamroom, paid via PayPal.

To purchase please visit the Marketplace.

When purchasing please ensure that you fill in the field naming the url you will be using SefJam on.

I have updated the SefJam Buy Now button link from the Marketplace to allow Paypal payment. Or you can email sefjam at ultrabubble.com with the url that you want to license SefJam for and I will generate a Paypal invoice.

Note: SefJam can be seen working on Jamroom 3.2.5 here:
http://www.sefjam.com/
These are basic installations - the templates have not been edited. Additional performance improvements and search engine benefits are gained by editing your templates, also possible with the installation service.

With current versions of Jamroom editing your menu links is no longer necessary as they are much shorter than they were when SefJam was first written. I currently recommend "just" improving your artist urls and carrying that change through into your templates.

SefJam Names for Artists
---------------------------------------------------
http://www.sefjam.com/apple_rouge_stinger3161/audio.php
All artists pages are made ultrafriendly by SefJam, with the artist name remaining in the browser address bar regardless of where you navigate within the artist's site.
Existing links and bookmarks to /members/27/ will still lead to the correct site, although the Artist Friendly Name will show in the browser bar. It is recommended to change template links to {$ARTIST_NAME_URL} where possible for seo keyword benefit, but is not necessary for sef urls or human readability.

#Note: All artists and member quotas need to be switched to Allow Friendly Names before installing SefJam. If you need to differentiate between quotas by offering Friendly names as an upgrade, SefJam is not for you. Use of "&" in a name will not prevent SefJam operation, but the & will not show.

SefJam Simple Pages
http://www.sefjam.com/browse_artist.php
Any pages called through a single template prefixed with jr_ can be called by the template name with a php file extension. For example, the community page is generated via jr_community.tpl, it is currently called by the link index.php?template=jr_community.tpl. SefJam will allow the page to be linked to using just community.php The structure of Cobalt3 has reduced the length of many urls so you may not need to use this section.

SefJam Links
http://www.mysite.com/list=Newest+Artists
SefJam works with the existing Jamroom Link Masker Tool. Any internal Jamroom link entered into the Link Masker can be called using the Link Title prefixed by one of the SefJam magic words (currently "page=" "chart=" and "list="). SefJam Links work in addition to existing masked links, so links such as link.php?id=123 will continue to work as normal.

An Example: The "Stations" link in the main menu is currently called by:
{$JAMROOM_URL}/ranking.php?mode=radio&order=5&pagebreak=10&skin=Cobalt
&header_template=jr_ranking_header.tpl&row_template=jr_ranking_row.tpl&footer_template=jr_ranking_footer.tpl
&replace[]=Radio+Stations+Listed+by+Plays

This is the link to be entered into the Link Masker database, along with Stations in the Link Title field. The link pair in jr_index_menu.tpl can now be changed to the much shorter {$JAMROOM_URL}/list=Stations and the browser address will read as http://www.yoursite.com/list=Stations . Multi-word Link Titles can have spaces, but the links should be in the form list=Artists+Listed+by+Popularity+(plays).

This feature is of less use in a default Cobalt3 setup, but remains very useful in the Oinkba templates and i customised sites.

#Note: Links external to your Jamroom installation will not work with SefJam, you should continue to call masked external links using the Link URL as normal.

Installation & Requirements
Installing SefJam will be easy for most Jamroom Admins. You will need to be able to use ftp, edit your .htaccess file, edit your main menu template files (there are replacements for Evo, Cobalt and others to make things easier), and copy links from your browser address bar and enter them into your link masker database via the admin control panel tool. There is also a SefJam Guaranteed Installation Service if you are not comfortable with these operations, contact me for further details. Customisation to your skin and themes are possible, ask for details.

Upload the SefJam.php and htaccess-SefJam files to your Jamroom installation folder. If you have no .htaccess file you can rename htaccess-SefJam to .htaccess on your server, or add the contents to your existing .htaccess file (troubleshooting may be necessary if existing contents conflict, consult the Apache documentation if in doubt). If you have renamed your members directory to something else, replace the word "members" with the name of your directory. If you have installed Jamroom in a subdirectory you will need uncomment the second half of the htaccess file and delete the lines above. Also replace all instances of the word "subdir" with the name of your Jamroom installation subdirectory.

Other Installation Files
There are replacement jr_index_menu.tpl and jr_index_js.tpl files for uploading to the skins/Cobalt directory and an sql operation to add the links in these files into the database. The sql currently involves replacing the table so you will need to adapt it if you have links in the Link Masker that you do not want to lose. In phpMyAdmin drop the jamroom_links table and run the sql. Replacement links for the main menu and an SQL for the Evolution skin by Oinkba are also available.

Requirements
An registered Jamroom 3 installation with the Bonus Pack
mod_rewrite support
Completely untested on any form of windows server
SefJam does not work well with the Cluster Server software

Check out SefJam Sitemap, our script for generating an XML sitemap for submission to the Google Webmasters programme.

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

Ultrabubble create things.

Last edited by SteveX on 04/10/08 17:15; edited 14 times in total
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 01/08/07 10:58 
This is way cool Steve Wink I know many Jamroom'ers are going to love your setup!

- Brian

daddysylem
DS Flash Players

Posted: 01/08/07 11:07 
I love this idea, and plan to get it once I finally upgrade my site to Jamroom 3 Crying or Very sad

But how much is "SefJam costs £25 per Jamroom" in good old american greenbacks?

GCFireSprinkler.com
SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 01/08/07 11:13 
Currently 1 GBP = 1.93811 USD

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 01/08/07 11:17 
thats $48.45275 for those not willing to do the calculation Wink

Shayan

Posted: 01/09/07 18:58 
I was asking for another seo thing here. more of a TITLE hack than URL hack...
http://www.jamroom.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=59311#59311

thank you so much for coming up with such a hack. But the price mught kill it for people like me... Hope you'll consider to reconsider...

american

Posted: 01/09/07 22:51 

bigguy:
This is way cool Steve Wink I know many Jamroom'ers are going to love your setup!

- Brian

Quick Question:

What kind of support does the script include. Is the script to work with themes and will it be upgraded on any future version of jamroom if required.

TIA

Fresh Water is a Human Right!

"Migration is a human right"
JohnyBgood

Posted: 01/09/07 22:59 

SteveX:
SefJam 1.0 for Jamroom 3

Readable Links for Artists & Audiences

SefJam improves your Jamroom URLs, making them shorter, readable, meaningful and permanent. Your artist names remain in the address bar at all times, you'll never see the members directory again. And the ungainly long urls to the ranking and chart scripts are a thing of the past.

SefJam costs £25 per Jamroom, paid via PayPal.

To purchase please email sefjam at ultrabubble.com with the url of the site you wish to buy a license for.

SteveX,

You realize that the us$ has been beaten down to 50% of what it was worth against the Euro and the Pound.

5 yrs ago £25 would cost 20 US$, today nearly 50$.
Average pay of American worker is 50$ a day. Latinos 30$.

I believe there is over 10,000 jamroom licenses out there.

I think you're overpricing for 95% of us.
Affordable price would be $10 US, equivalent of 2 hours of the american workers pay.

Just something to think about.
I'm hoping you'll make it affordabale to many more of us. Wink

smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 01/09/07 23:23 
personally, i dont think that the price is that bad. SteveX didn't come up with this script in 2 hours. He worked long and hard at it over a long period of time. if you have the 25 artist license, thats only $2 per artist, and $0.50 if you have the 100 artist license. not bad if you ask me. and who knows. in 6 months, a year, the usd could be killing the euro, and then he'd be gettin next to nothing for something he worked hard on. my $0.02

Yes...that's a soda machine...

I get bored when no one's posting...
SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 01/10/07 00:58 

Quote:
I was asking for another seo thing here. more of a TITLE hack than URL hack...
http://www.jamroom.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=59311#59311

Shayan, sorry but this is not what SefJam does. Page Titles are entirely different and seem to already be fully supported within Jamroom.

American/JohnyBGoode, support will be for basic installation and operation. If you are running some serious htaccess or rewritemap voodoo and need that to work in parallel that would obviously not be supported. Support will be for Jamroom 3 unless there is a paid for version change. I would not be inclined to support your multiple forum identities, it can only lead to confusion.

The price of the script is £25. If you consider it too expensive then it is very likely that you do not actually need what the script can do for you.

daddysylem
DS Flash Players

Posted: 01/10/07 07:34 

smith.kyle:
thats $48.45275 for those not willing to do the calculation Wink

I think $48.00 is a very fair price for what SteveX has here..........

Its the .45275 cents that I think is totally unfair.
How am I suppose to cut up a penny that way? Smile

GCFireSprinkler.com
SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 01/10/07 12:40 
I have just been looking at what altsounds uses for their urls on their Jamroom site: http://www.vbseo.com/purchase/buy-vbseo.html which might add a little perspective.

Daddysylem, it is not so difficult to divide a cent by .45275. Please spare a thought for us on this side of the Atlantic where .45275 cents is actually 0.233603871813 pence (at yesterdays exchange rate). And please bear in mind the troubles come less with the slicing than sticking them back together into legal tender. The number of times I have left the bank disappointed having been told "I'm sorry sir, this penny is 0.000000000001 pence short"

daddysylem
DS Flash Players

Posted: 01/10/07 16:33 

SteveX:
Daddysylem, it is not so difficult to divide a cent by .45275. Please spare a thought for us on this side of the Atlantic where .45275 cents is actually 0.233603871813 pence (at yesterdays exchange rate). And please bear in mind the troubles come less with the slicing than sticking them back together into legal tender. The number of times I have left the bank disappointed having been told "I'm sorry sir, this penny is 0.000000000001 pence short"

How about, I just send you the penny and you can send me the change... Very Happy

GCFireSprinkler.com
SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 01/10/07 16:53 

daddysylem:
How about, I just send you the penny and you can send me the change... Very Happy

I can send you a 0.282362714191 pence piece (I have a big bag of them in anticipation of the inevitable Easter rush for SefJam) which you should be able to exchange for 0.54725 cent pieces at a US bank. However, fluctuations in the exchange rate may alter the actual value of the transaction from time to time, so please ensure that you take your nano-lathe and atomic scales to the bank when you go to exchange. I cannot be held responsible for you being ill-equiped at the exchange counter.

Prawn

Posted: 01/11/07 12:12 
[quote]You realize that the us$ has been beaten down to 50% of what it was worth against the Euro and the Pound.[/quote]

Do you realise that the RAND is even weaker. at one point you got $2.00 for each R1.00 (rand).
Now you get R8.00 rand) for $1.00

[quote]5 yrs ago £25 would cost 20 US$, today nearly 50$.
Average pay of American worker is 50$ a day. Latinos 30$.[/quote]

mmm i must say at least in Africa now, the minimum wage is equal across all races

$45 = R325.00

Average days wage anywhere from R50.00 - R70.00 depending on job.
so for us its 6,5 working days.

i think its a cheap script...2 days work for something you really need is nothing...

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Ultrabubble

123456789101112Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules