Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Announcements:
Jamroom 4.0 Development Kickoff!
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/17/08 09:09 
Many of you are probably wondering what has been "brewing" behind the scenes here at Jamroom.net, and I'm excited to announce that work has begun on Jamroom 4!

After quite a bit of time spent testing and looking into what would go into Jamroom 3.5+, it was decided that a requirement change is necessary going forward - the minimum requirement for MySQL is going to be upped to a minimum of MySQL 4.1 (from the current 4.0). This will allow Jamroom to begin using SQL "subselect" statements, which will allow a lot more flexibility in the Jamroom Ranking System and other areas in Jamroom.

Also - in an exciting bit of news as well, we have acquired the rights to 'SefJam' from Ultrabubble, and will be adding SefJam to the Jamroom Core, as well as improving it to support full SEO URLs throughout all visitor facing areas in Jamroom.

So at this time, I've just begun work on Jamroom 4.0, and the goal is to have it fully released as "stable" before Christmas this year, with public betas beginning the end of November.

Here are the details on what we're working on for Jamroom 4:

- Minimum Requirement Change: MySQL 4.1+ required.

- Full SefJam SEO URLs integrated into the Jamroom Core.

- New Module API - We're adding a completely new Module API into Jamroom that should allow 3rd party PHP developers to create new Jamroom add-ons MUCH easier. This will also include a new Developer program here that will include full Module API documentation as well as resources (i.e. tutorials, references, etc.) It's become pretty clear that we're not going to be able to meet the custom module needs of everyone that needs something custom done, and this new Module API will make it much easier to get 3rd party developers involved in creating new modules for Jamroom.

- Other small additions to be announced as we get closer to beta release.

I'm really excited about Jamroom 4, as it's going to add a couple additional pieces into the Jamroom Core that should allow Jamroom to grow in a much larger direction going forward.

Also note that there will be an upgrade license needed to go from Jamroom 3 to Jamroom 4 (much like when we went from Jamroom 2 to 3), and we'll be running a special upgrade promotion during the public beta period. Anyone purchasing a Jamroom license since August 1st will receive the upgrade to Jamroom 4 for free. We will also continue to provide bug fixes for the Jamroom 3.4.x line for many months after the Jamroom 4 release as well.

I hope everyone is as excited about getting SefJam into the Core as I am, and I want to thank SteveX from Ultrabubble for his work on SefJam. Thanks!

If anyone has any comments, please post to this thread and I'll do my best to answer everything.

Thanks!

- Brian

Last edited by Brian on 10/15/08 14:30; edited 2 times in total
ktb1025

Posted: 09/17/08 09:25 
Count me in! Brian, you never cease to amaze me. Looks like there'll be something very special under the tree this year...

Home of TTF-TV!!!
Dazed

Posted: 09/17/08 10:06 
Been waiting for this Smile

Way to go Brian!

fan

Posted: 09/17/08 10:18 
I'm ready when you are!!!! lets rock it....

supportteambillyukco

Posted: 09/17/08 12:36 
Hi Brian:

Looks good brian can't wait for it to come out Very Happy Wink Awesome Bro.

On a other note you say brian, We have a full Jamroom license so When you say there will be an upgrade license needed to go from Jamroom 3 to Jamroom 4 are you saying that all Jamroom members that have now a full Jamroom license will have to pay for this upgrade license needed to go from Jamroom 3 to Jamroom 4 ???

Thanks Brian.

N8Flash Designs

Posted: 09/17/08 12:43 
The next few years will be quite interesting.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/17/08 12:48 

supportteambillyukco:

On a other note you say brian, We have a full Jamroom license so When you say there will be an upgrade license needed to go from Jamroom 3 to Jamroom 4 are you saying that all Jamroom members that have now a full Jamroom license will have to pay for this upgrade license needed to go from Jamroom 3 to Jamroom 4 ???

Yes - it will be identical to the Jamroom 2 -> 3 Upgrade, where there will be a price to upgrade the "Core" license, while any add-ons for Jamroom will be a free upgrade.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

supportteambillyukco

Posted: 09/17/08 13:16 

bigguy:

supportteambillyukco:

Yes - it will be identical to the Jamroom 2 -> 3 Upgrade, where there will be a price to upgrade the "Core" license, while any add-ons for Jamroom will be a free upgrade.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

Hi Brian:

Thanks for that info brian and NP, We will be happy to pay for this upgrade license when we need to Wink .

Do you know yet as to the cost of this upgrade license ?.

Thanks Brian.

Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/17/08 13:26 

supportteambillyukco:

bigguy:

supportteambillyukco:

Hope this helps!

- Brian

Hi Brian:

Thanks for that info brian and NP, We will be happy to pay for this upgrade license when we need to Wink .

Thanks Brian.

It's most likely going to be same as the 2 -> 3 upgrade:

$59 for unlimited licenses (i.e. pro/enterpise, etc.)
$29 for 100 artist licenses
$10 for 25 artist licenses

At least that is what the plan is now.. although during the beta period, it will be offered at discount as well.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

supportteambillyukco

Posted: 09/17/08 13:39 

bigguy:

supportteambillyukco:

bigguy:

supportteambillyukco:

Hope this helps!

- Brian

Hi Brian:

Thanks Brian.

It's most likely going to be same as the 2 -> 3 upgrade:

$59 for unlimited licenses (i.e. pro/enterpise, etc.)
$29 for 100 artist licenses
$10 for 25 artist licenses

At least that is what the plan is now.. although during the beta period, it will be offered at discount as well.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

Hi Brian:

Thanks Brian for that info Wink .

We will be going for the $59 for unlimited licenses and we will be happy paying $59 Brian without the discount Bro Wink .

Thanks Brian.

Posted: 09/17/08 14:21 
Yes, thanks brian.. Wink you are a great person!

jamesd116

Posted: 09/17/08 15:18 
thats good news, the last time i had fell within the free upgrade period i thought it would be a full price upgrade including addons. So yea i think iw ill upgrade it since its not totalling the 2-300 i thouight
I cant wait Brian. hopefully alot of the smaller features that been gettign rewquested in the past yr will be added in that hasnt been added in yet. when will you have out a list of planned features.

Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/17/08 20:12 

jimmyd116:
when will you have out a list of planned features.

The initial Jamroom 4.0 release is not going to have a lot of new "smaller" features, since the 2 main ones (SEO URLs and Module API) are _really_ big and are going to take some time. There are a few additional features I'm looking at getting in, and should have more details in the next couple of weeks as the planing gets more in depth.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 09/17/08 21:43 
You know how excited I am for the module API Wink

Yes...that's a soda machine...

I get bored when no one's posting...
CAPER

Posted: 09/17/08 22:46 
wooo hoo cant wait man

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)