User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Announcements:
Jamroom 5 Beta 3 has been released!
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 01/08/13 09:55 
I've just finished updating the Jamroom 5 downloads page:

http://www.jamroom.net/Downloads5

with the latest release in the Jamroom 5 beta - beta version 3. This new release fixes a bunch of issues that have come up during the beta, as well as includes a lot of important low level work and changes.

Jamroom 5 beta 3 includes Breaking Changes!

If you are running any version of JR5 you will need to do a complete re-install to move to JR5 beta 3. I really tried to avoid having to do this, but performance testing uncovered some low level issues with the new DataStore setup that requires new DS schemas for all modules. After we are out of beta, any major changes like this will be handled by an upgrade script, so we won't have to deal with a full re-install again. So sorry for any hassle that may cause.

Improvements in JR5 beta 3 include:

• Much better performance on large installs (20,000+ profiles)
  • jrAudio module now extracts embedded APIC images in MP3 files and will use that as the cover image if a cover image is not uploaded.
  • Lots of template improvements for mobile/tablet viewers
  • New Dashboard section in 'Dashboard' showing overview of site stats and server health
  • Updated System Check in core tools shows installed modules + versions
  • Tons of other bugs fixes and tweaks
  • move to unified jrCore_register_module_feature function to replace jrCore_register* functions
  • A lot of work went into getting things working really smoothly and ironing out bumps in places, so overall things are looking really nice.

New Comments module in Super Pack!

For those of you that have purchased the new JR5 Super Pack, we've include another new module in the pack for you - jrComments - this is a new comment module that does not rely on a 3rd party comment service like the jrDisqus module does. If you've already purchased the Super Pack you'll find the new Comments module in the latest Beta 3 Super Pack download.

For those of you that have not purchased the JR5 Super Pack, you can still do so while we are in the JR5 beta period. The Super Pack includes 17 different addon modules for Jamroom 5, and can be purchased for only $99:

http://www.jamroom.net/index.php?m=td_store&o=cart_add&item_id=35

The Super Pack is only available during the beta period! Once JR5 is out of beta it will no longer be available, so get it while you can! Smile

If anyone has any questions or feedback on the new beta, please post to the Jamroom 5 beta forum:

http://www.jamroom.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=24

and we will help out.

We hope you all enjoy the new release!

Thanks!

- Brian

Last edited by Brian on 02/24/13 10:31; edited 1 time in total
SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 01/08/13 12:01 

Brian:
move to unified jrCore_register_module_feature function to replace jrCore_register* functions

Hi Brian, thanks for the update. Could you elaborate on this one a bit please. Assuming that the 'old' jrCore_register functions won't work, what do I need to do in order to make them work again?

Thanks!

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

Ultrabubble create things.
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 01/08/13 12:40 

SteveX:

Brian:
move to unified jrCore_register_module_feature function to replace jrCore_register* functions

Hi Brian, thanks for the update. Could you elaborate on this one a bit please. Assuming that the 'old' jrCore_register functions won't work, what do I need to do in order to make them work again?

Thanks!

No problem - as you know in previous version there were a lot of different "registration" functions that you could add to your module's init() function, which in turn told the core you were providing some type of functionality (or requesting functionality). With Beta 3 now we've gone to a generic "feature registration" function that takes the place of almost all the older registration functions. So in beta 3 you would now do:

Code

jrCore_register_module_feature('jrCore','css','jrAudio','jrAudio.css');

instead of:

Code

jrCore_register_css('jrAudio','jrAudio.css');

So basically the new arguments are:

(module that provides feature), (feature name), (module registering for feature), (unique feature tag), [ feature arguments array]

So in this case the jrAudio module is registering the jrAudio.css file with the jrCore "css" feature. Note that the "feature tag" must be unique per module, and the feature arguments vary depending on the feature that the module is registering for.

Unfortunately we've been working so hard on the code that we're still not documenting this, so sorry for that - for now check out the init functions for the assorted modules and I think you'll quickly see how it works. Docs are next up for us here.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 01/08/13 13:04 
Perfect explanation, thanks, I'll get updated to beta 3 tomorrow.

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

Ultrabubble create things.
luis890

Posted: 01/08/13 19:26 
I just made a purchase, but I have not received the license yet.
Do I have to wait for the link where the licensed package is located or can I go ahead and download from the Beta3 from here.
http://www.jamroom.net/Downloads5

Please let me know.

Thank You

Michael
Jamroom Team

Posted: 01/08/13 23:32 
Luis, go ahead and download the beta3. Jamroom5 no longer needs a license for the core. Its open source under the MPL license.

Quote:
Jamroom 5 is Open Source software, Licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPL) version 2.

The individual modules are individually licensed and brian will send these out to you if you purchased the "JR5 beta period Super Pack of 17 different modules."

I don't think there is an auto-download for them setup, but you can install them once he sends them to you.

luis890

Posted: 01/09/13 07:27 
Last night I finished installing the beta 3 with the super pack from scratch and I found a few issues that I need assistance and should be remediated for the next release.

Complements.
I had no problems installing it. It was very quick and easy the installation.
I like the imaging editing for the gallery it is excellent and works perfectly.

Pros:
1) How does the Guest book works? From the artist menu, when I tried to type something in the text area and clicked on "Sign Guest Book" got an error "invalid key name: guestbook_text - key name must begin with module prefix: _"
Any Ideas how to fix this?

2) On main page. New songs from "Soundcloud" and new videos from "Vimeo" and "Youtube" does not display. It only displays in the artist profile. The only songs that shows in the main page are the ones that were uploaded. Same issues in the demo.
This should should be corrected since more user will start using soundcloud, youtube and vimeo videos. If the videos and song embed from these sites does not shows in the main page or rankings defeat the whole purpose. I think Paul may have the fix for that.

3) Please, please, could you make the embed players of soundcloud, youtube and vimeo to play in the page instead of popping up a new page. This is kind of annoying specially on tablets and iphones. Any time a youtube, vimeo and sound clound are played, a new page is created with only the players and it looks very bad.
Projam2 have nicely embed the the players to play in the same page instead of popping up.

4) Image events when click in the image event, it does not popup with a full size of the image.

That is what I have found so far. I hope theses issues can be addressed soon with the next release.
Thanks.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 01/09/13 08:30 

luis890:
Last night I finished installing the beta 3 with the super pack from scratch and I found a few issues that I need assistance and should be remediated for the next release.

Complements.
I had no problems installing it. It was very quick and easy the installation.
I like the imaging editing for the gallery it is excellent and works perfectly.

Pros:
1) How does the Guest book works? From the artist menu, when I tried to type something in the text area and clicked on "Sign Guest Book" got an error "invalid key name: guestbook_text - key name must begin with module prefix: _"

I'll check this out - sounds like a bug.

Quote:

2) On main page. New songs from "Soundcloud" and new videos from "Vimeo" and "Youtube" does not display. It only displays in the artist profile. The only songs that shows in the main page are the ones that were uploaded. Same issues in the demo.
This should should be corrected since more user will start using soundcloud, youtube and vimeo videos. If the videos and song embed from these sites does not shows in the main page or rankings defeat the whole purpose. I think Paul may have the fix for that.

Our goal with JR5 is to make adding things to the site really easy. Since we have no idea what a site owner is going to want displayed on the front page, we'd rather have Elastic ship with a more minimal setup and let the site owner decide what they want on the front page. For you having these items on the front page of the site is important - for someone who's site is video only, or is doing PDF's of poetry, not so much.

jrElastic is the default skin for JR5 so will be minimal. Skins in JR5 are a bit easier than in JR4, so we'll be coming out with additional skins that will be more "full featured" for audio/video based sites for those site owners that don't want to do any customization themselves (or want a more comprehensive jumping off point).

Quote:

3) Please, please, could you make the embed players of soundcloud, youtube and vimeo to play in the page instead of popping up a new page. This is kind of annoying specially on tablets and iphones. Any time a youtube, vimeo and sound clound are played, a new page is created with only the players and it looks very bad.
Projam2 have nicely embed the the players to play in the same page instead of popping up.

We can check this out. Paul is something we can do?

Quote:

4) Image events when click in the image event, it does not popup with a full size of the image.

In JR5 there are different "sizes" for images - unlike in JR4 where you could launch any image in any pixel ratio. We'll check this out and make sure the image that is being popped up is the largest size we show.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

Paul
Jamroom Team

Posted: 01/09/13 08:38 
Hi Luis - Thanks for the comments, they are much appreciated.

I'm not seeing the Guestbook issue on the demo site. Can you try signing a guestbook there and let me know?

I'll look into doing away with the player popups. I sort of agree with you there.

We likely will be keeping the main page, as supplied, very simple so that it can be built easily to your own custom requirements. If you take a look at the jrElastic skin templates you'll hopefully see how easy this is to do.
All the CSS options can be selected so as to build 'fluid' sites in any layout you want. The site will then adapt automatically for any desktop, tablet or smartphone screen size.
Checkout the existing song and video table code. Making them show SoundCloud and YouTube could well be as simple as changing jrAudio to jrSoundCloud. Default 'row' templates are supplied with the media modules and they will be called if no other is supplied.
Also, try http://yoursite.com/youtube (or sound cloud, vimeo, video, whatever). An instant page showing all the relevant items, so you just need a button with the link and you're up and running without extra templates!!
Also, when JR5 is fully released, a jrSeamless module will be available so that you can mix media items in the same listing.

EDIT - I see Brian posted at the same time. Luckily we are both saying pretty well the same thing Wink

mdamato

Posted: 01/16/13 17:46 
Hi,

Will there be a credit manager implemented in Jamroom 5, earning credits for actions, and using credits to purchase or other, etc....

www.playgroundz.net
punkbp

Posted: 01/19/13 05:48 

Brian:

luis890:

I'll check this out - sounds like a bug.
- Brian

I am getting this same issue.

Paul
Jamroom Team

Posted: 01/19/13 16:33 

mdamato:
Hi,

Will there be a credit manager implemented in Jamroom 5, earning credits for actions, and using credits to purchase or other, etc....

This would be a fairly straightforward module to build. Not sure that we would be doing it as a priority so this might be a good project for an aspiring JR5 developer?

ouviste

Posted: 01/21/13 05:27 
It's been a few weeks since the Beta has been out, do you guys have a time frame in mind when JR5 will be released?

Paul
Jamroom Team

Posted: 01/21/13 14:37 

ouviste:
It's been a few weeks since the Beta has been out, do you guys have a time frame in mind when JR5 will be released?

http://www.jamroom.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41795&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=string&start=20

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Announcements

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules
• Jamroom Marketplace