Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization:
Twitter Bootstrap
SoundCafe

Posted: 10/30/12 12:27 
Does anyone here know how to use twitter bootstrap to style jamroom?
Do i just put the bootstrap files in my server and just link stylesheets and js etc,and start using bootstrap in my design?I want a clean new look for my site.I am tempted to just embed the css and the js in the templates,but i'd rather not.

Michael
Jamroom Team

Posted: 10/30/12 18:55 
I've never used twitter bootstrap.

But it seams like it has its own structure that it wants to use. So if it was me, i would start a new skin that just contained the twitter bootstrap system so I could see that it was working.

Then start bringing in the elements of the jamroom skins that I wanted to use.

You can use the other skins templates as a reference.

A skin can totally skip all jamroom functions if you wanted it to. You can add in just what you want to use.

You dont HAVE to use all aspects of jamroom. And you dont HAVE to make all the possible settings work with your skin unless you plan to sell the skin. If its just for you, then you can build much simpler skins with just the stuff your going to use in it.

SoundCafe

Posted: 10/30/12 19:15 
you are probably right.i was just playing around with jamroom,i was editing the mediapro skin to create a new footer.i just realised how easy it was to create a new look for jamroom,because i can use any html and css. i will try to look at it that way, creating the skin and plugging in jamroom functions and see what happens.comapred to the other cmses i used before,this is the easiest once you get the hang of it.

but as far as twitter bootstrap,i was worried i might break the script if i was not too careful,but if you put it that way,guess i have nothing to hold me back anymore.i saw some nice admin backends in bootstrap,with graphs for analytics and so on,its the way jamroom should look.

but i got one issue,the jamdev virtual machine is no longer up,i am forced to ftp to my sandbox each time i do a simple css edit,that kills creativity.can you help in this regard?

Michael
Jamroom Team

Posted: 10/30/12 19:24 
woah, yuck. Smile

Get an IDE setup. I use phpstorm and its great. It uses an auto-upload system so the workflow for me goes:

* find the file i want to edit in my ide on my local machine.
* make the changes in the html that i want to change.
* move the mouse to the browser, click refresh.

The ide in the background, saves the file, uploads the file automatically. It works really well.

(I actually use a local server too, for dev purposes. If you want to take a look at that I have tutorial setup if your interested in a full dev setup I can show you that too if you like.)

SoundCafe

Posted: 10/30/12 19:31 
i'd like a tutorial,sure.an ide will be almost the same as what i am doing now,but a bit better.the best is a dev server.i had a lamp stack setup as a vm,but there were libraries i had to download for the server so it could support jamroom,and the linux dependencies made me stop,so now i am stuck with what i have now.if i could find a linux distro with all the libraries jamroom needs,i'll be golden.till then,maybe i can see what you got setup there.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules
• Jamroom Marketplace