Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help:
I feel like a rookie with this program
21productionz

Posted: 09/16/03 08:23 
I think because of the ease of use my intellectual powers are dumbfounded Wink is there a way for bands to register?

Any thoughts of a charts page in the future?

I want to buy this program because it's awesome, but the fact that admins have to register ppl is not cool for me. I might be stupid though, and just no know how to turn it on.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/16/03 08:53 
21productionz...

The Jamroom "Signup System" is (hopefully) going to be introduced in Jamroom 1.1b3, as I have started work on it and am thinking about 2-3 weeks from now I will have it finished - this will allow bands to sign themeselves up, etc. and should make it pretty easy.

Thanks!

- Brian

21productionz

Posted: 09/16/03 09:40 
that is awesome and a 1/2 Very Happy

Is there maybe in the future going to be on the fly bitrate conversion? So all a band has to do it upload the hifi version of the song and voila you have a lofi version encoded on the spot.

(Bare with me I have a lot of questions to ask before I purchase it)

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/16/03 10:02 

21productionz:
t
Is there maybe in the future going to be on the fly bitrate conversion? So all a band has to do it upload the hifi version of the song and voila you have a lofi version encoded on the spot.

I have to be honest in saying I don't see this coming - there are too many variables at play in doing that, not to mention a command-line decoder (say mp3 -> wav) as well as an encoder (wav -> mp3) would need to be configured, as well as supported on different OS's. Plus people running Jamroom on a shared server more than likely would NOT be able to use this due to the overhead that type of activity puts on the server (basically eats up ALL available CPU cycles while running). Also, since this would need to be supported for MP3's, WMA's and OGG files you can see how it could quickly turn into a hard to support option for Jamroom...

now with that aside, there's nothing that is keeping you from implementing this on your own. For example:

install the necessary command line decoders/encoders on your linux server, then set up a cron job to "watch" the UPLOADS directory for incoming files. When it sees a new one (say its not in its history list) it would process the file, down sample the file, and store the new file in the UPLOADS directory as well only with a different name to indicate its bitrate. It's definately do-able, but one that is better left to the admins to incorporate.

What I can do is possibly provide a how-to along with some sample shell scripts that could automate the conversion for you, but it would be up to the admins of the servers to actually set it up, as it would be too difficult to support directly in Jamroom.

I'll put it on the todo list though... Thanks for the suggestion!

- Brian

21productionz

Posted: 09/16/03 10:27 
That would highly be appreciated if you could hook me up with the how to's.

Also is there a way to make it more than 500 bands?

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/16/03 11:43 
Sure - when you run the "setup.sh" just put in any number you want. You are probably only limited by your hardware (mysql, etc) speed.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules
• Jamroom Marketplace