Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization:
Theme Idea
504pro

Posted: 03/01/04 05:19 
Can we create a theme thats like blank...basic layout....and you just fillin the blanks?

the TPL system really has me confused....this is the hardest script i have ever tried to customize. and i thought PHPBB was bad, but it aint nothing compared to this....

was just curious if this was possible....

I am trying to read the guide, but it just seems like jummbled words to me at this moment....

you are missing 2 things...a over all header...b over all footer... as is it looks like the artists pages and stuff will all look different....

also how do i get a 0 margin to the left and top of the pages????

Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/01/04 06:43 

504pro:
Can we create a theme thats like blank...basic layout....and you just fillin the blanks?

the TPL system really has me confused....this is the hardest script i have ever tried to customize. and i thought PHPBB was bad, but it aint nothing compared to this....

I would agree - phpBB doesn't really have very much to do so can be pretty easy to configure. Since Jamroom can create almost any output you can imagine, it can be confusing at first. I would HIGHLY recommend that you learn as much as you can about HTML, since that is what the .tpl files are. Think of them as the building blocks for your Artist site - Jamroom will link them together to get the results you want.

Quote:

was just curious if this was possible....

It would be possible to make a "blank" artist site, however it wouldn't really get you anywhere, since you would then have to build it from the ground up. I can look into a simpler "sample" site though, which might be a good idea.

Quote:

I am trying to read the guide, but it just seems like jummbled words to me at this moment....

you are missing 2 things...a over all header...b over all footer... as is it looks like the artists pages and stuff will all look different....

But then you have a problem - why would you want all your themes to share the same header and footer? Within each theme there already is a common_footer.tpl file, so all the pages for that theme share it. The main goal with the Jamroom themes is flexibilty - by allowing each theme to be completely unique and not be linked to the otehr themes, you can make each Theme look very different.

I know it can be confusing, but there are many users who have completely customized their themes. I recommed taking one of the exiting themes and start tweaking it to get the results you want. After a bit I think you'll see that it's pretty logical how it works and really isn't very difficult to work with.

[quoteo
also how do i get a 0 margin to the left and top of the pages????[/quote]

in your body tag:

topmargin=0 leftmargin=0

I'd really recommend reading up on HTML - a strong knowledge of HTML will go a long way in helping you customize your site.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

504pro

Posted: 03/01/04 07:28 
lol...i been building websites since 98 or so...started on web tv coding html. i am pretty fluent. i got the prob fixed. i just have never been in your script and getting used to the way you build them. every programmer does it differently. i figured it out though, and now have a decent artist page for the music section. just got to code the others now....

one question....when jam room calls an artists page, what is the absolute path to the root of jam room....reason i ask is i use includes, and will add an include for my header on the artists pages, but includes only work when you use the "../../" system. i cant use a full url. the header will be in my root of jam room..the index....would it simply be../ or ../../?

Thx
Danny

Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/01/04 07:55 

504pro:
lol...i been building websites since 98 or so...started on web tv coding html. i am pretty fluent. i got the prob fixed. i just have never been in your script and getting used to the way you build them. every programmer does it differently. i figured it out though, and now have a decent artist page for the music section. just got to code the others now....

one question....when jam room calls an artists page, what is the absolute path to the root of jam room....reason i ask is i use includes, and will add an include for my header on the artists pages, but includes only work when you use the "../../" system. i cant use a full url. the header will be in my root of jam room..the index....would it simply be../ or ../../?

Thx
Danny

You won't be able to use an SSI call since the artist pages are PHP pages (and Apache wont "double" parse). You'll want to use the PHP include() function, which actually is easier to use the SSI's:

Code

<?php include("http://yoursite.com/path/to/the/page.html") ?>

You can include anything you want in the call - other PHP pages, cgi's, HTML, etc. It will be parsed or executed and the results put in there.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

504pro

Posted: 03/01/04 08:07 
yes it does...thx
Danny

Posted: 03/01/04 13:17 
sometimes it can help if you take everything from the header, body, footer, etc. files and put it all into one template file. this way you only have to manipulate the data in one file and you can see the results in the output. just a tip to make things a little less confusing.

Posted: 03/01/04 13:29 
ya, i realized that. dreamweaver kept closing the tags...got it figured now. i appreciate the help...

Danny

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules