Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Third Party Products and Support:
Members without Member pages
Charles

Posted: 01/31/07 05:28 
Is it possible to allow a member to join but not create a page on the website for him?

The only reason I want a member to join is so he can have access to the shopping cart and the ability to edit his member profile.

I don't know where in the code a new page is created for the members. I would like to put in a if statement and create the page or not depending on the quota.

I would probably also have to create a custom backend page for those members since most of the normal member functions will not be used.

Thanks.

audiocandy
Beta Team

Posted: 01/31/07 08:38 
If you use JR 3.0.25 and up...

Select from the admin menu:

Quotas
Browse Quotas

Select: Member Quota.

There is now an option to select a custom login page available from the settings for that particular quota.

You will want to create a basic html page on your server and enter the url for it into the box mentioned above (custom login page).

Anyone in that quota will see only the page you created when they login. On that page you can link directly to the JR function scripts, like shopping cart, my files etc... any that you might want to show the user.

Point is, doing it like this the user / member of any particular quota will never see the built in menu functions on the left side of the admin page so you can then drop any access to modifying their page, adding photos or anything else you like.

Once we used this method for a while, turned out it was GREAT!! Because should we want to "upgrade" a member so that they did have access to creating member pages etc, it's then just a matter of moving them to a new quota and logging them in to yet another custom login page or simply to the standard "full menu".

This method will still write the folder for a member that would hold their member pages and the rest when they signup, but they won't have very easy access to it. Essentially, it's turned off... but they can upgrade for more complete access.

Works good!

...Bill

Posted: 01/31/07 11:16 
Definitly a step in the right direction.
Thanks.

The only problem now it that when someone browses the site they will still have links to the member pages even though not much will be on that.

So I can use the solution given above and then I only need to find the function that creates the directory and use an if statement to decide to create a member page or note.

Does anyone know what function creates the directory for members?

audiocandy
Beta Team

Posted: 01/31/07 11:37 
oh.... in our case....

For search results, we excluded member quotas from search. Then they can't be searched for or browsed. You can do that inside quota settings.

Thats what motivitated us to take this particular approach.... members with blank pages... where they never cared to add images or text to a page. So we just basically, "off-ed" that by default. Then, those sorts of member pages never show anyplace.

...Bill

Posted: 01/31/07 15:21 
Got the code that creates the member directory and files.

In signup.php at about line 166 the function that creates the directory is
makeBandDir($_v['band_id']);

And on line 179 the function that creates the directory is
generateTheme($_v['band_id'],$use_theme);

tmorg

Posted: 02/07/07 11:57 
does anyone have a sample html page to use?

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Third Party Products and Support

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules
• Jamroom Marketplace