Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization:
Changing Theme Layouts
xfactor

Posted: 09/28/04 05:59 
I am trying to integrate the style of my site, www.RADIOIV.com , into the default band template. This is what I am trying to achieve http://www.unsignedbandweb.com/music/bands/1423/ , when someone views a band. I have started with the music_header.tpl and have changed it to this... (the problem is that when I upload the edited file, this line (href="/themes/MDesignPc/style/style.css">) keeps getting overwritten to the default path of the template and the changes do not happen. Any suggestions??

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN\">
<html>
<head>

<meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html">
<meta name="Generator" content="Jamroom {JAMROOM_VERSION}">
<title>: {BAND_NAME} : music :</title>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="/themes/MDesignPc/style/style.css">
<script language="javascript">
var win = null;
function popwin(mypage,myname,w,h,scroll){
LeftPosition = (screen.width) ? (screen.width-w)/2 : 0;
TopPosition = (screen.height) ? (screen.height-h)/2 : 0;
settings = 'height='+h+',width='+w+',top='+TopPosition+',left='+LeftPosition+',scrollbars='+scroll+',resizable'
win = window.open(mypage,myname,settings)
}
</script>
</head>

minusme

Posted: 09/28/04 09:36 
I'm glad you like my site! I've seen LOTS of posts here and at portalthemes....

I hope you don't emulate EVERYTHING!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing I worked hard to build a "different" jamroom install! (But I am glad you like it..)

Ron

(Your error must have something to do with the way you're uploading your files. .......or...... Are you are generating a page after you make the changes? The header won't change until you generate the artist page..)

Hope this helps..

xfactor

Posted: 09/28/04 09:57 
Hey, I tried emailing you asking you for tips. Email got bounced back though. I like the way you integrated Jamroom into your site. Nice Job! I have been doing all this by trial and error... mostly error's right now. Thought I would take on the band pages and try to integrate those too. Did you just change the path to the style sheet and able to change the format??? Can you give me some tips?? Smile

Xfactor

minusme

Posted: 09/28/04 10:21 
xfactor...

yes, you can change the path on the style sheet to keep your artist page colors, tables, fonts, etc consistent with your site. (Just change the path to the style sheet as you mentioned earlier in the thread) If you are using the default themes, you will also have to remove any "hard-coded" formatting, since this will override your style sheet.

If you want to also change the graphics, that will take a little more work. basically you just take the graphics from your site theme, and add them to your artist pages however you like. Obviously knowing some html is necessary. I find it easiest to design in html before moving everything over to to the tpl files. There are tons of html editors out there, I use frontpage.

Ron

xfactor

Posted: 09/28/04 10:47 
Yes, I noticed that you use Frontpage Laughing I got the format to work. You were right, re-generating the page works. THink I have to go in and regenerate every band page now. Thanks for the tip. Let me know if there is anything I can do to return the favor.

dosdawg

Posted: 10/18/04 17:53 
I am finding it difficult to edit these themes with the .tpl extension, i went to DW and downloaded the DOC TYPE .tpl but to no avail, i use Dreamweaver for page editing, and typically use photoshop for image edits, .tpl has not been recognized by either,

whats the benefit in using .tpl
is that just a form of a template?

thanks
dosdawgs

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 10/18/04 19:15 
:chimes in:

The .tpl files are built by jamroom into a page. Other things like phpBB2, use .tpl files as well.

I found them to be difficult at first, but once you get used to it, it's really easy...

The best editor I've found for it is "Crimson Editor", but it's not WYSIWYG, which is what a lot of people need.

If you need WYSIWYG, I don't know of any editors. The only thing you can do is edit the file, upload it and generate HTML then look at it.

The more time you spend with it, the easier it gets.

:chimes out:

Cheers!

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core