Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
N8Flex:
How long before the other mods are ready?
pitrager

Posted: 09/29/09 19:54 
Look Nate I did that because it's the only way you respond promptly. Take a serious look at what you had advertised. I remember being under a clear impression that if I had a decent knowledge of Jamroom and understood how to use the documentation I could install these according the the directions of switching out the Jamroom stock player. Your directions conflct with that or fall short with incomplete information. You do not tell where any of the files are. You know there are at least Flashback, Cobalt and Nova as main skins being used most common. Why do you not have maps that direct me to exactly what files to alter?

In the Flashback you have the side menu players which I assume is where the remote player goes.

If you change out the codes as you say...

Quote:
{include file="$SKIN_DIR/n8flash_video_player.tpl"}

even after changing up the variables according to the docs they do not work. That tells me something has to be modified for each one special. When I did get them to appear, I had several times where it wouldn't even pull up the right playlist.

I did my research and looked at other sites using your players and I noticed some are fully changed out or some are just partially and a couple opted to just not use your players anymore because they are back to the stock players themselves.

Either you don't care to rework the instructions, or you choose not too so people will get frustrated and hire you for install services. Which I remember you accusing someone of not taking their business seriously because they choose to try and do it themselves.

What's the point?

If your stuff was clear, easy and at least fully detailed out for those skins and themes I'm sure you would be getting a lot more sales. I'm sure your business would walk primarily away from doing installs and you would most likely be hired to do more custom pieces which you can charge nice prices on if the customer wanted a lot of special details. That's good money.

Why don't you see that? You have skills when it comes to inventing. Your business practices are questionable. If you don't want to handle those details then hire someone to work with you and handle that dept. and avoid all the frustration and grief for everyone. It's a No Brainer.

Natedogg265
N8Flash Designs

Posted: 09/29/09 20:05 
If I knew it was Flashback I would have refunded you weeks ago. You're only the 3rd person to try Flashback. 1 previous person got it an the other switched themes. I haven't done an install in Flashback so there is no existing help for it, like the Nova theme. Every other theme is pretty simple.

Once the new plugin is designed all of this will mute.

pitrager

Posted: 09/29/09 20:10 
You live and learn I guess. I really think that if you can make those other mods you should. I know the first person to make a independent mod for groups will be cashing in on it.

Natedogg265
N8Flash Designs

Posted: 09/29/09 20:15 
The trouble is implementing them in other themes and skins. I'll either have to make templates for each existing skin/theme and maybe in combos. Plus it uses a lot of jquery.

pitrager

Posted: 09/29/09 20:28 
I don't see anything wrong with charging according to the work put in to make each theme set.

If one is harder than the other than one should be priced accordingly too. Like Cobalt I would figure wouldn't use jquery as much if at all would it? I think the same would work with Flashback. I noticed that Flashback is kind of the middle middle man carrying functions from both Cobalt and Nova.

Another idea is maybe share your knowledge with how you made groups and allow others to help make the templates and develop them into something pretty cool for all. I have several scripts that may even help give ideas too. phpFox has a good grip on groups and theirs looks pretty cool with a group gallery built in and forums, combine that with what Ning.com has for groups with rss feeds and a html text box for adding images and widgets and your smoking.

mapyaboy

Posted: 09/29/09 23:26 
Natedogg265, I also followed you documentation which was not well explained and got most of the players working after days of trials but still had some problems on them and since Brian has new players on the Nova I have decided to go back to the new players. A good example is this post http://www.jamroom.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30603&highlight= I Posted on 23 Jun 2009 00:16 that you never answered. The other few questions took a few days for you to answer and to me i just decided to stay away from your players till I get more time to fix the problems. The issue here is not the bugs on the players, the issue is the support a customer is supposed to receive to make the product work. A good example is Jamroom where most of the questions are answered within 24hrs.

Natedogg265
N8Flash Designs

Posted: 09/30/09 05:51 

mapyaboy:
Natedogg265, I also followed you documentation which was not well explained and got most of the players working after days of trials but still had some problems on them and since Brian has new players on the Nova I have decided to go back to the new players. A good example is this post http://www.jamroom.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30603&highlight= I Posted on 23 Jun 2009 00:16 that you never answered. The other few questions took a few days for you to answer and to me i just decided to stay away from your players till I get more time to fix the problems. The issue here is not the bugs on the players, the issue is the support a customer is supposed to receive to make the product work. A good example is Jamroom where most of the questions are answered within 24hrs.

Brian provides world class support no doubt. But 70% of the time another user helps you before Brian can even get to you. I try to respond to all post but I am just one person with a family.

Almost every question I get, it's jamroom the customer needs to learn, as in what template to edit. The number one question I get is "where do I install it?" I can't teach ppl these skins/themes there are too many and I barely know them myself. I've learned that in most cases once a user learns his/her skin/theme the players become much easier.

So sometimes (depending on the question) I let users figure their way through it, especially when its really a skin/theme question.

Quote:
What do I change to use the M4 Photo in both members and artist profiles?

See this is a basic jamroom template question. Anyone can answer that but because you're doing it to the photo widget you think its a flash player question. It's a jamroom template question.

I don't mind helping but 80% of the support I have to provide is purely jamroom education.

mapyaboy

Posted: 09/30/09 08:22 
Look at it this way Natedogg265, you could have atleast answered the question and let me know that It's a jamroom template question so that next time some one else has the same problem I or someone else who read the post might be around to direct them to the right direction before you get back to the forum.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/30/09 10:16 

Natedogg265:
I haven't done an install in Flashback so there is no existing help for it, like the Nova theme. Every other theme is pretty simple.

Wow - this whole thread really exploded overnight!

Nate - I'm going to recommend that you download each of the Jamroom Skins and do your testing on the "stock" Jamroom skins - both Nova and Flashback are very popular skins - if your players do not work with these skins (or you aren't sure) I think it is VERY important that your customers know this before purchasing. If they purchase your player, and find out it won't work on one of the Jamroom skins, and it's not something you have clearly laid out before purchase, I can understand their frustration and wanting a refund.

My concern here is that over the last 6+ years we have cultivated a fantastic user base, and a VERY helpful forum - blaming the customer for not knowing what template to edit (or how to edit a template) is counterproductive and may give visitors the impression that this is how all Jamroom support is handled.

It is my opinion that you should have clear and tested instructions for each Skin/Theme that your players will work in - if you haven't tested it, your customers should know, and then at least it will be up to them on whether they want to purchase or not. I've visited n8flash.com and don't see any mention that your players don't work in Flashback or Nova, so that is something you wall want to address ASAP.

Nate - your players are absolutely fantastic - they look superb and bring a lot of "wow" factor to a Jamroom site, so I know a lot of users really would like to add them to their site. Improving your support methods and delivering clear install instructions will go a long way towards getting your players on more sites, and will avoid situations like this from even coming up.

If you'd like to discuss this offline, feel free to shoot me an email.

Thanks!

- Brian

pitrager

Posted: 09/30/09 10:24 
At this point I just want my money back and to walk away the sooner the better.

Natedogg265
N8Flash Designs

Posted: 09/30/09 10:45 
As I explained, had I known it was Flashback he would have been refunded long ago.

Hopefully when the plug-in is finished it will cut down on the required knowledge. I just went through 2 pages explaining to one customer its not the player causing their issue. I'm not as good of a jamroom encyclopedia as you are.

I'll make a disclaimer for Flashback until I get more info.

pitrager

Posted: 09/30/09 10:59 
I know man it's cool. You have a lot of loose ends to tie up, better you than me and I knock on wood. I'm working on my own first Mod and I hope I don't butch it up.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/30/09 11:09 

Natedogg265:
As I explained, had I known it was Flashback he would have been refunded long ago.

Hopefully when the plug-in is finished it will cut down on the required knowledge. I just went through 2 pages explaining to one customer its not the player causing their issue. I'm not as good of a jamroom encyclopedia as you are.

I'll make a disclaimer for Flashback until I get more info.

Thanks Nate - I appreciate it. I just want to be sure that we are moving in a direction where "It's a Jamroom issue" is not the final answer to why something is not working. If you find you are in that situation, please let me know so I can address it.

Thanks!

- Brian

malady

Posted: 10/02/09 10:22 
cleaned up

boplive

Posted: 10/02/09 11:56 
Ummmmmmmmmmm....wow this topic just completely went elsewhere... Rolling Eyes Shocked Shocked Shocked

Ok back to the topic...

Hi there Nate

It would be better if you “ALSO” offer your modules in the marketplace as a stand alone module instead of it being “ONLY” part of the “M” Skin.

With the modules you created you can control that feature market yourself.

I checked out the “M’ Skin and it’s tight, looks great, works well with all the extra features…

But honestly…sometimes its hard to switch over from one skin to another skin..especially when you already customized the skin that you already have to meet your members needs.

Also the price for your skin isn’t that bad of a price. I think it’s very reasonable with the modules and the players that it comes with.

But you have to ask yourself…

This is just and example..Smile

Out of 100 people who are from Jamroom alone who have jamroom sites and in a 1 week time frame…

How many sites owners are willing to go through the headache of changing there already custom skin.

I think it will be easier for a site owner to just add a module and call it a day.

So…at the end of the day…you will probably benefitmore financially as it being “ALSO” a stand alone module than it “ONLY” being offer in the “M” Skin.

Example:
It’s just like a car…a car suppose to be more valuable (money wise..like in a chop shop…)in pieces that in whole… 
But don’t quote me on this…lol

One more thing… just for you to t hink about…wink..wink
There are a lot of excellent techs here in the Jamroom Forum.

If you don’t control the market for those kinds of modules in Jamroom…SOMEONE ELSE WILL!
Someone else will come along and grab it.. and sell it…ching..ching…!
Wink Wink

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
N8Flex

< Previous123Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons