Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
The Greenroom:
Hosting Providers to avoid
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/14/07 11:41 
I wanted to start a "sticky" thread for Jamroom Users to post issues they have had with hosting providers, and to comment on the issues encountered.

I've been doing quite a few Jamroom installs and upgrades lately, and the following hosting providers are ones I have found perform poorly.

(note: this is 100% based on my own experience - for the most part this reflects on the providers "shared" hosting - if they offer dedicated hosting it may work OK, but for the most part it is the shared hosting I see issues with. Also - the old saying "You get what you pay for" is SO true - I would highly recommend that you do NOT make saving $2 per month on your hosting plan your top priority if you want quality hosting).

I'll add to this list as I encounter more - if anyone has had issues with other providers, feel free to post here so new Jamroom users can see what providers they should avoid hosting with.

Thanks!

- Brian

wwb

Posted: 03/16/07 06:09 

bigguy:

[*] "powweb" - http://www.powweb.com/powweb/index.bml - heavily overloaded servers and lack of full support for Jamroom (typically).

Agreed with this company. They were the one of the first ones I used when I was looking for hosting. They lack of support was enough to drive anyone away.

I have had other providers in the past, most don't exist anymore.

If I can think of more bad providers, then I will be sharing them with this community.

I finally was fed up with the lack of this and that and took on a full dedicated server with a partner of mine. It's a lot of work and money, but the payoff is well worth it in the end.

Good call Brian!

Posted: 03/24/07 16:06 
Stay away from globat.com They work fairly well but their ideals are just wrong.They have an affiliate program that they don't pay right on and they also got me out of about 80$ because of thier fine print.Thier website has a special price that expires everyday also...
A host that I do like is ixwebhosting.com , great deal with 400G(I checked my dashboard and all domains are on 250G drive?I guess they don't think anyone will use 400 gigs so they can sell it that way) of space and 2500G of bandwidth 6.95 a month with 55 concurrent mySQL connections,htaccess and shell access.They also give you up to 8 domains in your ftp . It's appache module, you have to set all of the permissions yourself,kind of a pain.But they're real patient with someone like me.
The final test will be when I have 200 or more users.Alot of these companies sell these deal knowing or thinking you'll never need what they offer.

I'm adding on to this post,because of the problems I'm having with shared hosting.I'm going to get a static address from the phone company and set up my own server.It will take a little time to learn how,but after 6 years of shared hosting I'm fed up.I can set up alot better server than most offer and the only monthly cost is the phone lines static IP.Now,where do I begin...

Posted: 04/01/07 05:32 
It seems that I'm on a server with someone that is running a robot every morning that crashes the MSQL server between 7 and 8 am.Is there anyone else with ixwebhosting.com?I know I saw one person here in the forums that was with them.Looking at the world in a cynical way which I have a tendency to do.They could be running the robots themselves.On a shared host does the entire server only have 50 concurent connections (if they have it set that way), or per database?Brian,Kyle,I know I probably shouldn't post here,but I need anyone that's with this company to see this post.If there's alot of cutomers we would have some leverage to get them to do something about this abuse.Also let other Jamroom to know to stay away.I'm going to copy and paste this in that forum also.

Posted: 04/01/07 07:16 
How many of you guys are still on shared servers and how many users do you have? I ended up having to go dedicated sometime back because I was causing the shared server to drag a bit for the other 150 sites on it.

I am upgrading my server this weekend to a P4 2.8GHz with 1GB of RAM. My 2.4GHz celeron was starting to crunch with only 512MB of RAM.

wwb

Posted: 04/01/07 07:24 
I am running my own dedicated server with Pentium 4 3.0 / 1 GB RAM and I can be upgraded at anytime. I have five IP's, 1 is used to host about 5 sites.

After all the shared hosting issues I had, like I stated above, I've made the switch to a dedicated server and it was the best move that I have made for hosting.

I will try to list a few more I used once I get a hold of my partner.

Posted: 04/01/07 08:41 
I went down to the Comp store yesterday,and for about 1500$ I can set up a monster of a server,and from what I understand all of the software is free or at least real cheap.He's going to install all of the software,php4,msql,phpadmin and use an ubuntu OS /server included in that price.Then I can hire his DNS guy to come out to the house and configure my settings,for a fee.

Posted: 04/01/07 08:44 

OJ:
I went down to the Comp store yesterday,and for about 1500$ I can set up a monster of a server,and from what I understand all of the software is free or at least real cheap.He's going to install all of the software,php4,msql,phpadmin and use an ubuntu OS /server included in that price.Then I can hire his DNS guy to come out to the house and configure my settings,for a fee.

what bandwidth do you have to your house? Needs to be pretty high on the upload speed. Are you used SDSL? Are they going to support it ongoing as well? I debated on going this way as well but in the end I decided against it due to the reasons below.

Needs:
Static IP's from provider
SDSL or FIOS to support the traffic
Strong understanding of Linux, MySQL, Apache not to mention a ton of other things that can go wrong. DOS attacks, hackers etc.

I have a decent understanding of Apache, Linux/UNIX and SQL but not enough to be an admin and support it if something went bad. It was worth my piece of mind to know there were contingency plans if my server failed.

OJ

Posted: 04/01/07 09:12 
I'm going to learn,I'm totally fed up with this.It's either pricing that's rediculous or jammed up servers.The phone co. here has a static business sdls,but I think I'm going to go with Raodrunner business class instead because the phone co. wants a 3 year contract,and if they don't work well I'm screwed.

Posted: 04/01/07 09:33 
OJ, why don't you get a dedicated server or collated one for that matter?
I can refer you to the company I am using. I have a bare bone server that I installed SSH(putty),webmin and directadmin. I feels it's more affordable the trying to run something on your own.
PM for more details.

Posted: 04/02/07 16:43 
Had to chime in here...

I know it can be very stressful when your site goes down. We have all been there before. I think we all eventually come to the conclusion that SH*T happens. Much like your pc blows up one day, servers do the same.

If you really want 100% uptime, look into clustering. That will be the only way to help reduce the risk of downtime. Granted the price gets a lot more expensive but if you want that kind of guarantee, it is the only way I know about.

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 04/02/07 18:18 
And just to add for anyone reading who doesn't realise, clustering isn't the Jamroom cluster server, it is running multiple physical servers which work together to spread the workload and provide redundancy in case of failure.

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

Ultrabubble create things.
Dazed

Posted: 04/02/07 18:22 

SteveX:
And just to add for anyone reading who doesn't realise, clustering isn't the Jamroom cluster server, it is running multiple physical servers which work together to spread the workload and provide redundancy in case of failure.

I probably should have clarified that Wink. Thanks Steve!

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 04/02/07 18:58 
I would be glad to know if anyone successfully server clusters a jamroom site.

I've tried it with 2-6 servers, and have not had much luck.

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
OJ

Posted: 04/03/07 08:16 
One of the things I've been figuring out since I've started looking into running my own server is that it's not cheap.I can see why the higher pricing is a nessasary to run shared hosting and not overload the servers.Ixwebhosting give 400Gigs and put you on a shared 300G hard drive(mine currently has 10% free).I took three sites away from them and left just one for now.No one(probably) will never need 400Gs and that's what they're betting.Thier salesmen promised me that I would have plenty of mySQL connections,they give 50 for the whole server.I was lied to!Try and put a watermelon through a coke bottle.I wasn't even able to read emails yesterday because I was moving sites again.And yes,**** does happen,the ghost in the machine.I always imagine someone trippin over the outlet...I also found out how to move the database with the jamroom docs!I do need to add that it would be hard for me to go without phone support,email would be ok if responses were fast.It might be that I'm a newbe but I panic when stuff goes haywire,I'm getting over it slowly.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
The Greenroom

123456Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules