Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
The Greenroom:
Hosting Providers to avoid
pauolo

Posted: 04/20/07 19:07 
hey folks, i was looking in the usa and co for a good rootserver but i think, it cost to much! in germany root server you will get with dual 500gb space with unlimited traffic for 70USD. Smile

but i dont know how it works for peoples in the usa and other countrys!

slotvent

Posted: 04/21/07 01:50 
ixwebhosting.com are bad

They clam to be dedicated but they are not they are shared
They clam to have unlimited storage, they dont
Every day when i was with them the sql would drop and i wuold have to go to live chat to force them to give it back
I suffered for 3 months before finally having my account removed there reason was simple im not allowed to store files
They claimed that because the links on the artists pages were not to direct mp3's that i was harbouring files with no links and this is not allowed on the tos of this shocking site

Because the site is so cheap spammers sign up on a regular basis and get funky with the good ol mass mail button on there server thus causing everyone elses to peak on server load and crashing the sql

DO NOT BUY FROM THESE PEOPLE

I am with rackspace now its a bit pricy but i can goto the datacenter wen i want speak to real people and they have a freephone service if i do have any problems

I have been with them for just over 6months now uptime is 100% and the server usage has not gone above 2.0 ever even with 4,500 bands

Posted: 04/21/07 06:20 
I agree,I had to move all of my sites from IXwebhosting.com,they suck and they run thier own robots for spam email.
I went back to godaddy.com with no problems except thier MTA has a few limits,but works ok.When my sites get large like yours I plan on setting up my own server.

Posted: 05/08/07 19:32 
I have to agree please do not use IXwebhosting.com. I had 2 sites hosted with them. They both got hacked the other day by the same person at the same time and they are gone. IXwebhost tells me it is my fault because I let someone figure out my password and username via ftp. It would have been impossible because only I have that information and my password was impossible to figure out and different for each site.
They do not have a backup of your site though they tell you they do. The hackers really just changed around my home page and linked it to theirs but when I called IX they said my files were messed up but they could fix it reload and everything would be fine. 5 days went by and then they tell me the files are not really there. The files were there the day I called and IX erased them later themselves. They said they keep a backup but their back up is good for only about 48 hours and then they copy over the backup with good or bad files. One of my sites they completly deleted everything and then told me the hackers must have done it but the files were their after the hack just not after they told me they could fix the problem. The other site all of the files were there and a few were messed up. They somehow think that hackers spend the day deleting all of some strangers files just to be mean but leave one website with only the homepage changed, come on. They did not offer anything except a "sorry". My 2 sites cost me over 50 grand and I do have a back up but only a 2 month old one. I can fix one site but at a high price to fix everything and they did not care. They actually told me I should find another hosting company. They told me I should have a back up of my site and it is my responsibility and they are not at fault. Never use them I have lost a lot and they do not even offer a refund or anything. They are not a true hosting company.

american

Posted: 05/09/07 03:03 

juxhead:
I have to agree please do not use IXwebhosting.com. I had 2 sites hosted with them. They both got hacked the other day by the same person at the same time and they are gone. IXwebhost tells me it is my fault because I let someone figure out my password and username via ftp. It would have been impossible because only I have that information and my password was impossible to figure out and different for each site.
They do not have a backup of your site though they tell you they do. The hackers really just changed around my home page and linked it to theirs but when I called IX they said my files were messed up but they could fix it reload and everything would be fine. 5 days went by and then they tell me the files are not really there. The files were there the day I called and IX erased them later themselves. They said they keep a backup but their back up is good for only about 48 hours and then they copy over the backup with good or bad files. One of my sites they completly deleted everything and then told me the hackers must have done it but the files were their after the hack just not after they told me they could fix the problem. The other site all of the files were there and a few were messed up. They somehow think that hackers spend the day deleting all of some strangers files just to be mean but leave one website with only the homepage changed, come on. They did not offer anything except a "sorry". My 2 sites cost me over 50 grand and I do have a back up but only a 2 month old one. I can fix one site but at a high price to fix everything and they did not care. They actually told me I should find another hosting company. They told me I should have a back up of my site and it is my responsibility and they are not at fault. Never use them I have lost a lot and they do not even offer a refund or anything. They are not a true hosting company.

Man, I feel for you.
Maybe DJ might have some help on this.
Isn't there some contractual obligation on the host. Mad

Fresh Water is a Human Right!

"Migration is a human right"
dionsis

Posted: 05/09/07 08:51 
its amazing that they dont have any data redundency of any kind.

though i really cant emphasis anything more than backing up yourself. yeah maybe they should have backups themselves, but ive been with many where i lost everything because i didnt backup and the company didnt either (HD failure and the likes)

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 05/09/07 12:43 

american:

juxhead:

Man, I feel for you.
Maybe DJ might have some help on this.
Isn't there some contractual obligation on the host. Mad

http://www.thewhir.com/features/legal-ftc.cfm

Not really sure what else I can tell you? I guess it depends on the hosts contract?

Part of our marketing is plain and obvious what's important to us:

JBServers.net:
We store 2 instantly restorable backups of every site at all times, one nightly and one weekly backup, which you can count in an emergency.

I guess look for this type of thing?

And always always always, when you see "400GB disk and unlimited bandwidth only $6.95/year"...I mean, come on, duh! You're not going to get good service, plain and simple (and you're never going to get that disk space and bandwidth either).

After saying that, I went and looked at IXwebhosting's offerings and I found:

Quote:
Features*
2 Domains

300 GB Web Space

1 Free Domain Reg

3,000 GB Data Transfer

100 Sub Domains

$4.95/month

There is a huge red flag right there in the package they are offering. It would cost them roughly $80-120/month to actually provide this (and that free domain you get will actually cost them atleast $2.50 for the year). I know the average consumer doesn't know or even think about this, but when you've been around it for a while you see all the signs right away.

JBServers.net could not compete with an offer like they have (which might be there plan? Twisted Evil ). But that's because service would go down the tubes, servers would be overloaded, customers would be unhappy, we would go broke, your jamroom would be hosed...much like it sounds was found at IXwebhosting... We would rather throw in the towel then compromise quality for quantity.

If a company is not making some amount of profit, you don't get good service because they won't have the funds to provide it. Very simple. No business is in business to go broke, and if they are...they're making money by ripping you off.

Not sure what else I can tell ya? But I hope all this helps!

Cheers!

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
juxhead

Posted: 05/09/07 19:44 
I was not paying the minimum of $2.50 dollars year or a month but $295 a year which is still cheap but when you are running less than 500 mb a month it should not cost too much. I have a site that uses 3 to 4 terrabytes a month and it cost around $600 a month and they do back up but when you have a small site with 2000 members you do not need to spend that kind of money so yea, you are dooped into the cheap hosting. It is a good deal but even if you have a small site you still expect it to be protected not destroyed. Everyone is not a webmaster and yes they do see a good deal and think it is a good deal and you do trust others just you do not think any company can screw you like this. If you think that you would never start a small company, trying to make a difference with a little money. If everyone one was here to destroy you, you would not be in business in the first place. **** the small guy,

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 05/10/07 10:42 
You know, one of the early early webhosting scams, was to offer hosting for super cheap...then one day for some reason your site stops working or breaks or gets hacked for some un-godly reason... Then, a week or two later you would see your site back up and running and completely redesigned...all your passwords changed, your access stripped, all data on file changed to some (probably non existent) person...and then you can't even fight for it back because nothing says it's yours.

Turns out what they were doing was trying to get people to forfeit there sites so they could take them over and runn spamvertising campaigns. In some cases, they would sell the domain, or do like they did to my very first domain I ever purchased, go look: http://locusproductions.com - 4-5 years later, I'm still trying to get this domain back, I still have the non profit license that goes with it and everything Confused

I honestly feel like enom jacked me on that one, but it was actually another company called "tucows" that refused to let me re-register the domain, even though I still had +90 days available on it.

So, I guess I learned the hard way (hell, I got the domain for $1.50...go figure Laughing). Now I figure if I don't pay atleast $9, I'm taking a huge risk, and I've never lost a domain since.

I always wanted to be an admin at a reputable place, to prove not all hosts are like that... But I still deal with 20+ inquiries per day that start off with "my last host screwed me over...". It's hard to convince people we're not out to do that after they've been hit hard. I always feel bad for those guys, it sucks, I know, I've been there done that and still have a grudge about it Sad

Anyways, :rant over:

Cheers!

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
vibrancy

Posted: 05/30/07 10:10 
One thing to note with running your own server at your house - most ISP's don't allow you to run any sort of server... Verizon's FIOS has in their terms of service that you can't run any type of server (web/ftp/etc...) and I have RoadRunner and they have a similar terms of service, stating that no servers can be ran. So if you are going to go that rout, check out their ToS first, usually business accounts are allowed that, but some companies still don't allow business packages to host any servers.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 06/28/07 15:58 
Adding BlueHost:

http://www.bluehost.com/

This is another provider to avoid that "over promises and under delivers".

I've done many installs on BlueHost, often with a LOT of issues, and with their new CPU throttling I'd recommend hosting your Jamroom Site elsewhere:

http://www.jamroom.net/Hosting

- Brian

rexxrules

Posted: 08/18/07 21:41 
I have two websites with IX-WEBHOSTING and both got hacked by the evil-smart Turk (ghost61). I contacted IX-Webhosting and the person at the other end did not seem a bit surprised about the incident. I was curious and asked if this happens frequently at ix-webhosting he said, it has happened to some people. I was very disappointed with the person when he said they only keep one backup copy of my site ( 48 hours ago ) which means
the copy of my website they have is the one that was hacked 3 days ago. BAD, BAD. ... I have never had this problem with my other websites with 1 & 1 (one and one). The only problem with 1&1 is they are based in germany and traffic seems very slow. For this reason I chose to go with IX-W/H. A few weeks ago I was in my office and suddenly my outpost firewall warned me that my network was being attacked by an IP address that happened to translate to my own website, one of the two
that got hacked. There is something fishy going on there. I suspect one of their UNIX/LINUX admins is doing unethical things.
I am going to have to find another hosting company, I am trying not to go to godaddy, they are here in AZ but don't give you a whole lot for your $$. Morale of the story here: "DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH IX-WEBHOSTING"..

boplive

Posted: 08/19/07 05:02 
oh man....sorry to hear that has happen to you.

Confused i'm stilll trying to get the &#$&& to move my 2 sites from them. I guess because i have have them for so many years...im just used to there control panel and everything else they have to offer....
bottom line...i just been lazy to move my sites...
my problem with IX is my site has always been down...
and at times..i can't even get into my control panel...
this has happen so many times....
Sad

but being hacked...wow....thats scary...

and you right about them backing up...
they once gave me a backup that was about over 1 week old...
that sucked trying to change things back to how i wanted it to be...

hope everything works well with you rexxrules.

I don't want to jinx..myself....
but maybe i need to be hacked so i can wake up... Shocked

BurnJam

Posted: 10/06/07 13:27 
Give us a try.......for 3.99 you get enough space and bandwidth to start your Jamroom.....

We have a 30 day Money Back gurantee, and I think you will find our servers are VERY fast!

Check our Uptime here: http://host-tracker.com/website-uptime-stats/268573/?full_period=false&task_to_details=268573&show_days=false#details

You can expand with us as your site Grows!

We DO NOT oversell our servers!

We host our own Jamroom here: http://www.burnjam.com

Try us!

http://www.inftekhosting.com

jimmyk
Beta Team

Posted: 10/19/07 04:34 

OJ:
One of the things I've been figuring out since I've started looking into running my own server is that it's not cheap.I can see why the higher pricing is a nessasary to run shared hosting and not overload the servers.Ixwebhosting give 400Gigs and put you on a shared 300G hard drive(mine currently has 10% free).I took three sites away from them and left just one for now.No one(probably) will never need 400Gs and that's what they're betting.Thier salesmen promised me that I would have plenty of mySQL connections,they give 50 for the whole server.I was lied to!Try and put a watermelon through a coke bottle.I wasn't even able to read emails yesterday because I was moving sites again.And yes,**** does happen,the ghost in the machine.I always imagine someone trippin over the outlet...I also found out how to move the database with the jamroom docs!I do need to add that it would be hard for me to go without phone support,email would be ok if responses were fast.It might be that I'm a newbe but I panic when stuff goes haywire,I'm getting over it slowly.

I have a few ixwebhosting.com accounts and I have had several problems, nothing really major, but annoying problems. About once a week I can't access my email accounts. Several times I have run out of disk space on the drive and have had to wait as long as 2 hours for them to fix the issue. This could be horrible situation with Jamroom. Calling them is a waste of time because of the volume of calls they receive. Hostmoster.com was much better for customer service, but if I remember correctly there was an issue with correct Jamroom install on hostmonster.com.

Now I'm using hostican.com which has been great. I have a VPS server w/ unlimited band and 60gb for $240 for 3 months. I have had Jamroom installed on that account and it's been very snappy. Plus they have ffmpeg support.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
The Greenroom

< Previous123456Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules