Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
The Greenroom:
Hosting Providers to avoid
Douglas
Jamroom Team

Posted: 11/18/07 08:04 
You may want to think about getting jamroom Guaranteed hosting.

http://www.jbservers.net/

Hope this helps
Smile

boplive

Posted: 11/18/07 08:41 
I been using Ixwebhosting for a few years alreaady...abt 2-3 years...
and have had the Jamroom platform with them a little over 1 year...

I recommended you move to JBSERVERS..if your going to go all out with your jamroom...

I still haven't change to JB SERVERS yet... Rolling Eyes
i don't know why I haven't....but hopefully soon...

bottom line...YOU WILLL HAVE ISSUES WITH IXWEBHOSTING...

I HAVE HAD MANY ISSUES WITH THEM....
1.there response time is not the best...

I can go on with along list about them...
but let me not go there,,,
too early for me in the morning....lol
Shocked

juice

Posted: 11/18/07 09:09 
Well I did check out JB servers but the packages are to confusing to know what I need.

I've only started a new project 3 month's ago doing local videos and my site has gone to about 30k hits a month. I want to continue doing that but this is not a money making venture and Once I start including artist profiles to include vidoes I think that might go through the roof.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 11/18/07 09:26 

juice:
Well I did check out JB servers but the packages are to confusing to know what I need.

I've only started a new project 3 month's ago doing local videos and my site has gone to about 30k hits a month. I want to continue doing that but this is not a money making venture and Once I start including artist profiles to include vidoes I think that might go through the roof.

They only have 1 package - "Jamroom Hosting". The difference between all the packages you see is just the amount of disk space and bandwidth - every other feature is the same between packages.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

juice

Posted: 11/18/07 09:43 
Right Brian.
That's what I meant. I'm not sure of what a normal amount of storage size or bandwidth size would be for me to compare to what I might use.
Thanks.
Juice

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 11/18/07 09:49 

juice:
Right Brian.
That's what I meant. I'm not sure of what a normal amount of storage size or bandwidth size would be for me to compare to what I might use.
Thanks.
Juice

What's really cool about JBServers is that you can upgrade your disk space (package) in about 30 seconds, so your best bet is to just start with the very smallest package, and as you need the space/bandwidth, just bump up to the next one..

Hope this helps!

- Brian

cmpnetwork

Posted: 11/23/07 12:16 
godaddy.com bites for tech support and server problems dont use them i had switched to a diffrent provider after 4 years having godaddy.

cmpnetwork

Posted: 12/06/07 22:55 
i removed the other post reguarding that eukvps so no using them well you cant use them anyways they kicked offline. But however check out these people too

huggy59

Location: Plymouth, ME, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Posted: 12/08/07 20:17 
Um, I think some of you guys have more homework to do about web server system and network design. Load balancing has very little to do with disk space. Load balancing is deisgned to allow support of more web connections (or sometimes other subsystems, such as database servers in a tiered approach) by balancing traffic loads across multiple servers. And yes, often the applications that run on those servers must be designed and programmed to be load balancer-aware in order to work properly.

For example, any web-based application package that maintains a session ID could go bad if a load balancer is not session aware, or if the server that is hosting that session fails. In that case, the application fails and the user has problems, and typically has to start over at the beginning. What kind of problems is up to the browser, application, and several other factors.

I think more often you are seeing drive failures, and depending on the storage architecture, you'll see all kinds of weird issues and symptoms. Sometimes it's just a loss of a remotely mounted filesystem connection or server, but that causes half your stuff to go "missing", and of course your site fails.

Beware the "dedicated server" that's really a shared server running multiple virtual servers, too. That's just a way to make it look like a dedicated server, but the hardware is still shared.

Personally I have had fairly good luck with GoDaddy shared (sometimes slow) servers for my uses. My sites don't attract a lot of users and bandwidth is fairly low, so that usually isn't a problem - the price is right. My issues with GD have primarily been with their web-based administrative system - renewals of various services have had problems in that they don't always apply properly and I have to call a customer service rep to get things straightened out. My other beef with GD is that the services are so fractured - they have different admin procedures, terms, and support center for things like domains, hosting, email, privacy, traffic stats, DNS, etc.

I'm also using Dreamhost and have had good luck with them. They are helpful and pretty good about letting you know about maintenance windows and issues through email and newsletters. Again, my sites aren't big, though. Yet! Wink

--------------------------------------------------
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." - Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge, Red Green Show

www.MaineMusiciansExchange.org
www.HiddenGemTech.com
djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 03/25/08 13:04 
mawebcenters.com

I wouldn't wish this one on my worst enemy. Avoid at all costs.

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
dingoskidney.com

Posted: 04/12/08 18:53 
Whoa there's some proper hell hole stories here.

But you know what, i've had my own hosting company for a while now and reading this there's a couple of things i'd like to say.

- Offering unbelievable amounts of bandwidth and disk space.

It is an unfortunate situation for hosting providers that the comparison they have against they're competitors is the amount of disk space and bandwidth they can offer for your money. If they are offering 500GB of diskspace then they have to provide it but lets be honest, the vast majority of websites even jamrooms aren't anywhere near this big so it is something they can comfortable offer. This isn't to say that this is a good thing. However realistically what your looking at is the hosting provider (if they are a good one) providing you with a level of service rather then an huge amount of diskspace. for example if a provider is offering 100GB for $3 a month and 500GB for $10 a month, the $10 a month is probably going to be on a less crowded server or higher spec server. I suppose what i'm saying is hosting companies are trying to pitch to everyone not necessarily people who know what they want.

- Ask questions

Its imperative that you find out what connection speed your server will be on. As mentioned many times in this post fast bandwidth is incredibly expensive and a tell tell sign that the connection speed of a host is low is price. Low priced shared hosting can be on anything as slow as a 1Mb/s connection which means you'd only be able to have around 10 -15 people on your site streaming music at anyone time. These hosts can only cater for basic html pages but some will promise the earth. Ask before you buy and if the connection rate of the shared server your going on is less then 100Mb/s walk away in my opinion. Incidentally for the money JBservers.net is really good value running a Gb pipe.

- If i doubt try.

most good host provide some sort of money back guarantee these days. And with CPanel hosting you can shift your site around server to server with zero downtime. So try them out. If the suck... move on.

- Go dedicated

If your serious about your jamroom then go dedicated basically. You have control and peace of mind and you will never have to worry about another user screwing you about. The cost is substantially more, particularly if your just starting out but.... why not sell off the resources your not using to begin with to offset the cost. Start your own hosting company.

And again i'd go with JBservers if you wanna go down this route. You can get a similar system for less with hostgator, but its worth the extra $30 for the jamroom experience. I'd ask em for a different OS then RedHat tho.

One last thing....

Don't be too concerned about the size of the server disk reported in your server check. DO be concerned about the remaining space however. Two reasons for this, the first being the reported size of the drive is the size of the partition which isn't necessarily where all of your site is stored. Secondly, It is not good practice to leave an idle drive in a server for no reason. You can add another drive to a server without powering it down so hosts will usually add a drive when its needed. Consequently if your on a pretty new server dont be alarmed if the disk is relatively small.

Dont know how much of that makes sense but im knackered so not gonna proof read it. But i had a rant anyways

Posted: 06/21/08 11:28 
i think a list of WHO IS GOOD saves time and avoids confusion
HOSGATOR.COM .... EVERYTHING WORKS ... u can speak to support anytime live ... their accounts are easy to work with and they bought my domain 4 me as i wanted ONE bill

Lets start a list of who is GOOD ... finished ...

elixir

Posted: 08/03/08 15:11 
does somebody have any experience with hostmonsters.com
I am on their server, but i am not very optimistic about being with them. I am lucky right now for not being on their overloaded server but i see that disk space is growing up really fast and server is unresponsive many times.

please share ur experience about hostmonsters too.
thanks

briantank

Posted: 08/11/08 18:06 

anil_mndl:
does somebody have any experience with hostmonsters.com

please share ur experience about hostmonsters too.
thanks

I'm on hostmonster and have no problems with them. I chose them for hosting lots of domains/sites which I find easy to do with them compared to other similar hosts and not have to worry about the bandwidth limits.
There was a brief period when there delays to my ticket requests but only once and since then the response time for requests has been pretty quick again.
I will stick with them until something proves different but for now I am happy with host monster.

sweet

Posted: 08/21/08 17:34 
Does anyone else here run into database errors or server time outs in their jbserver sites?

It may only last a minute or so, but it's very annoying, and I kinda worry once I open my site to the public how many more times this will happen. I've never seen this on any of my other websites that are live on other hosts.

Confused

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
The Greenroom

< Previous123456Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons