Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
The Greenroom:
Hosting Providers to avoid
Jamie

Posted: 08/21/08 20:36 
I've never had a problem in almost a year. Since I've been up. And if there any problems, even if its the smallest of issues. They super quick at geting repaired. Most of the time I ask for things to get done, and they do it without question. Upraging packages, site name changes, add-ons, such as shoutcast, resnding info ect. Their always on the ball.
And the price is in no way a reflection of their servive. You get far more than what u pay for.
If they stay the same, or continue to get better than they already are, I will be a customer for life.

sweet

Posted: 08/21/08 20:41 
that's good to know. Wink

Jamie

Posted: 09/03/08 18:35 
Does anyone have an oppinion or knowledge on Zyon Hosting??

They have a flashy site, but seem to be offering way to much for the price.
Probably over hyped and a crappy back end.

Just curious.

Thanks

tundra96

Posted: 12/10/08 15:11 
I use server beach for my hosting and they are by far the best dedicated
hosting provider I have found yet. I have been with them about 4 years
now. I had rackshack / ev1 servers before them and they managed to lose
my hard drive among other issues.

If you decided to go with server beach enter in my referal code 8FBWT83EYQ
and we both will get a discount on our hosting after 3 months.

Thanks
Mike
http://www.songtiger.com

zankman

Posted: 01/03/09 23:53 
Someone mentioned buying s server one and running it from his house--not a good idea. I don't think you understand how hosting works. Your connection alone would cost over a grand a month. Regular cable/DSL accounts don't have enough upload speed to host anything with media files or with any real traffic. Anytime there is an error, you will spend hundreds of dollars on a tech coming out to you unless you have all day to troubleshoot for fun and don't care about uptime.

Shared servers are nearlry always horrible. Theonly reason I'm even trying JB servers is becasue they claim to be all about JR, so we'll see.

Moving from shared (even an expensive one woth support) to VPS was the best thing I ever did with my other business sites. My VPS is currently $170 amonth and I've never had to worry about it not working. You pay more for support. They will call you backor anser at 3 am when there is a problem (have done it a few times over the years). There are less expensive ones now because of virtualization software and clouds. For around a $100 you can be in good shape I think. I use Hosting dot com, which bought my previous host (Invotion). Research how VPS works and you'll see it's a better idea for site owners than dedicated because of price and server management (you don;t have to buy your own OS etc on VPS if using Window or other non-opensource software).

Amazon now has Cloud hosting that works with their S3 which someone soon will probably make a mod for that will allow JR to use shared hosting for the site then use the cloud for file delivery, which is cheap disk space (JB probably buys S3 storage or similar). You can't really use S3 with JR because of latency issues, but with a cloud it will probably work in some form. The cloud caches the S3 files so there is limited latency issues. However, the files may need to be both on the shared and in the S3, so it may be bothersome to double upload every song. Not sure about that.

I think I would use JB Servers (with cluster) unless they prove unable to offer better than the usual shared experience, or get an affordable VPS and focus on your site.

Good luck.

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 01/04/09 00:03 

zankman:
Amazon now has Cloud hosting that works with their S3 which someone soon will probably make a mod for that will allow JR to use shared hosting for the site then use the cloud for file delivery, which is cheap disk space (JB probably buys S3 storage or similar).

Not at all.

Thanks Wink

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 01/04/09 10:02 
Cloud delivery (at least at this point) is very poor at media delivery due to latencies - it would work well for straight MP3 downloads, but not for a script (such as Jamroom) that must actual read and process the data as it is sent.

- Brian

UzuNarU

Posted: 05/15/09 10:54 
Hey guys/girls. Has anyone tried using a GoDaddy or HostRocket hosting package for Jamroom?

Edit: I have both but am trying to figure out which one would be best to use.

Douglas
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/15/09 06:52 
Here is one that you should avoid if you want to use the upload progress meter.

bravenet.com

They do not allow the use of CGI scripts.

Rolling Eyes

jamesd116

Posted: 08/15/09 08:59 
I think BigGuy should come up with a list on JR.net a list of sites he thinks should be avoided something like an orhanized list of hosts and the reasons why obviously thie list wont really be the be all end all list because one persons experience cpmpared to another persons experiences can be totally different such as I read where Brian suggested not Bluehost I think he had an installation issue but I had my site on bluehost for 2 years and had no issues with installation or mostly anything. Since big guy does installations he can be a judge of many hosting sites.

Posted: 02/17/10 05:50 
iweb.com - best ded servers on the planet, best pricing as well.

I know many media companies that use them.

They are based in Canada, which is the reason it's low priced ( notice I didn't say "cheap").

Back to the reason. In Canada, the government does not allow electric companies to charge a higher rate to businesses like electric companies can here. So, the result - cheap electricity, combined with cheap bandwidth country wide = pass the savings on to the customer. Sure, hardware cost the same - but a well put together company that is looking for long term growth isn't worried about getting their cash back on hardware in 12 months.

They have a 100% uptime guarantee. I guess 99.99% wasn't good enough for them, lol. They are ranked 3rd by netcraft.

My current host is aplus.net, which is ranked 2nd by netcraft, but they are seriously getting on my nerves. They did a complete server migration, and I'm pretty sure they used interns to configure the servers.

Anyways, my input.

denys

Posted: 05/02/12 14:41 

elixir:
does somebody have any experience with hostmonsters.com
I am on their server, but i am not very optimistic about being with them. I am lucky right now for not being on their overloaded server but i see that disk space is growing up really fast and server is unresponsive many times.

please share ur experience about hostmonsters too.
thanks

no but the name says it all Wink now come on down to hostgator.com Idea

Posted: 08/17/12 06:04 

denys:

no but the name says it all Wink now come on down to hostgator.com Idea

I just signed up with hostgator... seems to be alright so far except for one issue. No LAME support for shared servers.

Looks like I'm going to have to find another host off the bat already.

Douglas
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/17/12 07:31 
http://www.jamroom.net/Providers

Hope this helps,
Douglas

RP

Posted: 08/17/12 07:51 

Douglas:
http://www.jamroom.net/Providers

Hope this helps,
Douglas

Thanks Doug, wish I would have came across that page before I started setting up my site again! Shouldn't be to hard to migrate 1 months worth of data.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
The Greenroom

< Previous123456Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules