is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
DS Flash Players:
Bad News - Myspace And The Flash Player "Buy Now"
daddysylem
DS Flash Players

Posted: 03/28/07 21:57 
Bad News Kids...........
I've been looking into this very extensively and there is no way around it.
As of the release of Adobe Flash Player 9, the "Artist Link Back" and the "Buy Now" button will no longer work on Myspace.

Flash Player 9 introduced a new command in their player code that gives website owners the ability to stop external links from flash objects posted on their sites. This new command is (allownetworking="internal") which blocks all browser control from an embedded flash object if the object didnt come from the site its posted on. Meaning that clicking on a link inside a flash player will no longer open a new browser window or do anything with the browser if the command is invoked in the embed code.

Myspace has chosen to impose this new command on all object/embed code posted on their site. The Myspace program automatically adds this command to all embeded objects on their site, thus making links back to your own site dead from inside the Jamroom Flash MP3 Player. Myspace has also changed all of their own flash objects like their own media player to only work with Flash Player 9 and requiring all members of Myspace to upgrade their Flash Player plugin in order to use different functions on their site.

Just in case anyone doesn't know..........
Adobe Flash Player 9 is not the Jamroom Flash Player. It is a browser plugin that must be installed on your computer in order for your computer to play and operate flash files like the Jamroom Flash Player from a website.

The Jamroom Flash Players will still show up and play music on a Myspace page, but the "Buy Now" and "Link to Artist Page" will no longer function from Myspace. I would suggest using something like the Myspace code snipper which already has a external link back to the artist page built into the code.

The flash players will operate fine on your own site and just about anywhere else they are posted. So far this will only affect Myspace, but I'm sure other sites like Friendster will follow.

Thanks.........

GCFireSprinkler.com
smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 03/28/07 22:06 
myspace blows <---why I don't have one Very Happy

Yes...that's a soda machine...

I get bored when no one's posting...
Soul
Beta Team

Posted: 03/28/07 22:37 

smith.kyle:
myspace blows <---why I don't have one Very Happy

I don't have one either, but I sure know a lot of people who do.

-Soul

P. S. DON'T do what I almost did and reply to Kyle's post by saying, "Yeah me too.", that is the wrong answer! Shocked

(Any chance of a bbcode preview for JR? "Preview" was the thing that saved me.) Wink

Posted: 03/28/07 23:35 
We're pissing them off. Wink Kaching!

Fresh Water is a Human Right!

"Migration is a human right"
BigRussian

Posted: 03/29/07 07:13 
If myspace is blocking the tag for flash.. how about putting the flash player inside an external source it's not blocking ie an html file or something to that effect. So in other words all myspace would see is the html code for the other page thus making it unable to disable the code. This making sense?

BR

daddysylem
DS Flash Players

Posted: 03/29/07 08:31 

BigRussian:
If myspace is blocking the tag for flash.. how about putting the flash player inside an external source it's not blocking ie an html file or something to that effect. So in other words all myspace would see is the html code for the other page thus making it unable to disable the code. This making sense?

BR

You could embed the player code in a small HTML file on your site and then find a way to call that HTML file into your Myspace, but they already thought of that and disabled several HTML tags to keep people from doing just that.

Basically Myspace is trying to squash any third party site from trying to make money or promote themselves using the Backbone (Membership) that Myspace already has in place for free.........

They use the excuse of protecting thier membership from exploits, but I think its far more than that.

GCFireSprinkler.com
SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 03/29/07 10:10 

Quote:
They use the excuse of protecting thier membership from exploits, but I think its far more than that.

Maybe just News Corp's anticipated first step towards total ownership of the membership?

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

Ultrabubble create things.
Douglas
Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/29/07 15:54 

SteveX:
Maybe just News Corp's anticipated first step towards total ownership of the membership?

I can see the headlines now... Myspace closes due to lack of membership... lol... we wish Twisted Evil

Soul
Beta Team

Posted: 03/29/07 15:57 
Most of the people that I know that use myspace, use it for exactly the purpose myspace is trying to stop.

It's disappointing about flash.

I agree. Something sinister is afoot.

Should be interesting to see what they are really up to.

-Soul

Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/29/07 16:04 
I can totally understand why MySpace is doing this - being as big as they are, myspace pages have become a new delivery mechanism for virus and trojan writers, and unfortunately the ability to "load" something into a browser from a remote site is exactly the type of method used.

We'll likely see much more lock down of this type going forward, built directly into the flash objects.

- Brian

smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 03/29/07 16:08 
Why can't people just be honest? I hear people my parents' age all the time reminiscing about when they didn't have to lock your doors at night and when kids could play outside and you didn't have to worry.

Soul
Beta Team

Posted: 03/29/07 17:50 
Thanks for your insight, Brian. Hadn't really thought about that. Very helpful as usual.

Kyle, your parents are right.

Things have changed dramatically over the years. Seems not too many people have a conscience or care much about anything but themselves any more.

It's tragic. Crying or Very sad

-Soul

CodeSmith

Posted: 03/29/07 17:53 
The weird thing for me is that I see it too, and I'm only 5-10 years out of it. I remember playing outside with my brothers back in like 1996 when I was 10. A whole bunch of kids would play on our street. Now no one plays on our street really (and it's a cul de sac! every kids dream!). Crazy world we live in.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/29/07 18:02 
For me, being a "kid" in the 70's, it was all about riding our bikes and playing "war" in the woods. Does anyone else remember pulling "hydros" behind your bike on string with nails that made sparks as it flew over the pavement? Wink

- Brian

BigRussian

Posted: 03/29/07 18:31 
Ahhh to good ol' days. It was VietCorn (War) in Michigan's Thumb, listening to the Tigers on AM radio and drinking Rock N' Rye Fago. We played kickball in the street way past dark and never thought twice about it. We were awe struck by the first rich kid in town to bring home a Coleco Vision w/ tennis .. which looked a lot like pong.. Our parents were happy if we were only dragging hydros behind our bikes because that meant we didn't have some kid going down a hill with roller skates behind us..

Then came computers. The Atari XL (I think) first time I ever typed in a program. Took two days, countless errors and I got an ANSI flower.. felt like the kid with the decoder ring in "A Christmas Story"

Maybe not the good ol' days in that respect!

BR

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
DS Flash Players

12Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons