Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help:
can't open config directory
infomorelos

Posted: 07/31/03 03:00 
I get an can't open config directory error after pressing submit on install.php. config is chmod 777. Any suggestions?

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/31/03 06:30 
The following directories all need to be writable by the Apache web user (that is their permissions need to be 777):

bands (plus all subdirectories)
songs (plus all subdirectories)
config
uploads (plus all subdirectories)

If you have shell access to your web server (i.e. telnet or SSH) it can be done using the UNIX "chmod" command, or it can also be done via an FTP client. There are detailed setup instructions at http://www.talldude.com/jamroom/install.shtml - let me know if it doesn't help your problem. thanks!

- Brian

infomorelos

Posted: 07/31/03 21:48 
when saying that config is chmoded 777, it was clear that the other dirs too. However, there is something intersting:
In my distribution 1.0.2b, there aren't any subdirectories in any of the 4 dirs.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/01/03 06:09 
That's really strange - There should be numbered directories named "1" through "9" within bands, songs and uploads. You can create them by hand if you like, or, as long as your server is not running PHP in "safe mode", Jamroom will create the directories as needed.
I would recommend re-downloading the 1.0b2 version though - snice the directories should be there I wonder if it was corrupted somehow?
Hope this helps!

- Brian

infomorelos

Posted: 08/09/03 00:54 
Shocked I cannot find where to download beta 2, I only see a link to download beta 3, that is what I did and there is now only 1 subidrectory within 'bands' , It is called '1' and contains one file: '.1_active' . 'Songs' and 'uploads' contain only an index.htm file.

I downloaded the .gz file from your site, with the link that says 'from here' on your downloads page.

I can't see where to download beta 2.

Maybe I could duplicate ._active , ername to .2.... through .9... and place those files in 'songs' and 'uploads' ?

Thank you in advance

medspars

Posted: 08/09/03 01:26 
I am haveing exactly the same problem. Added folders 1-9 and I still get the following error message: "unable to open config directory - verify installation"

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/09/03 09:33 
Hmmm... I just downloaded the beta 3, as I wanted to be sure that I hadn't accidently put up a corrupt file, but everything unzipped and built itself just like it should have been for me....

Here's a quick thing to do , but ONLY if you have "shell" access to your webserver. From within the MAIN jamroom directory, type this:

./setup.sh

(if you get an error "cannot execute - Permission Denied" then you need to type "chmod 755 setup.sh" without the quotes in order to enable execution mode on the setup.sh script - however that should have been set correctly when you unzipped the tar).

And that shell script will fix up all of the permissions as they are needed.

If you DON'T have shell access, just ensure that directories below, which are all in the MAIN jamroom directory, have their permissions set to 777:

bands
songs
config
uploads

After you have done that, you can create as many numbered sub-directories (ie. 1- 25) in the directories bands, songs and uploads as you want - just ensure that those numbered sub-directores are ALSO permissioned to 777.

Just out of curiosity, do either of you have shell access to your website or are you doing the install via FTP? If so, which FTP client are you using?

Hope this helps!

- Brian

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/09/03 10:28 
Just a quick note on a couple of things:

1. The ".1_active" file you might see (in band number "1" directory, or in any other band directory) can be ignored or deleted - it merely tells Jamroom if that band is "actve" in changing things within Jamroom. This way Jamroom knows to highlight the "Generate HTML" button. Note that they only pertain to the "bands" directories and will do nothing in other directories.

Basically, each "band" as it is built in Jamroom is given a "band id" - the first band will be "1" and so on... there must be a band, song and uploads subdirectory for EACH BAND ID in jamroom - and they must be permissioned to 777 in order to work correctly.

2. Make sure you have downloaded and are running BETA 3 - beta 2 had some issues and bugs in it that were fixed in beta 3.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

Elvis67

Posted: 08/14/03 06:55 
Once again, Thank you for your impressive work and for your very friendly support.
Just to answer your question: I don't have shell access (neither any of my friends has Sad ), and i setup and manage my site via ftp. Usually i use the built-in ftp-features of macromedias dreamweaver, but for better checking the chmod, i use ws-ftp pro from ipswitch.
Hope that helps for further developing this masterpiece of software

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules