Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help:
sucessful install, but now what?
nobands

Posted: 08/07/03 12:26 
Hi, I was wondering, do i have to enter the info for each band or is there a sign up form?

I run a site for my city like mp3.com but with out the commercial bull....right now i am almost at 200 bands and i do the entire site manually and it sux...so i am looking for a script.

i would like to speak with you about your web app and see if we can make a deal for you to do more with it and make it better. i am a developor and give you tons of ideas on what to add to it, i just am not a coder. i only know database creation, and customization of php....

please email me, if you like to talk.....
Danny

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/07/03 16:03 
Danny - thanks for checking out Jamroom!

Currently you will need to "build" each band in Jamroom in order to get them into the program.

I am currently working on some features for Jamroom 1.1, which should include the "Signup System", which will allow users to signup for your services. A lot of the features I will be working on in the future are geared towards those that want to run Jamroom as a server for other bands, as well as provide better "back end" tools for the admins of larger sites.

Let me know what some of your ideas are - some might be easily implemented, others may be more difficult, but I really do keep a "wish-list" of sorts that I put EVERYTHING in.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks!

- Brian

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/07/03 16:17 
Danny -

I checked out your site (http://www.neworleansbands.com/index.php) - very nice! Very professional looking, and well layed out. I'm curious what you might be using now to handle your content?

- Brian

nobands

Posted: 08/07/03 18:41 
I add everything by hand....i manage it with no back end and just me designing...i do it the old school way Smile

so now you know why i am interested in your script. i am tired of building the site by hand....as for my ideas, some may have been mentioned...do you have a list of these i could see? if not i understand...

i imagine you are wanting this program to be like a mini mp3.com....

check out this second i site i just started developing....we may use jamroom there too.... http://www.hiphoplivemag.com

you will have my full support...even cash wise...

Danny

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/08/03 08:17 
Danny -

wow - maintaining a large site (as I am sure you know) gets VERY time consuming when doing it by hand. Where I work (day job) I developed a large application monitoring system that monitors about 50 different UNIX machines and their applications, as well as the work flow of about 40 people - needless to say when I was first developing it I did all of the HTML for the pages by HAND... ouch. It is fully automated now and much easier on my fingers Wink

Looking at your site, from the front page, Jamroom could automate the following things for you:

1. "Newest Artists" - use the Jamroom Ranking System (JRS) in "band" mode with the style set to "3" and show set to "10" (or however many new bands you want to show).
2. "New Orleans Top 10 Mp3 Downloads" - again use the JRS in "song" mode and style set to "5" and show set to "10".
3. "Latest News" - build a band in your Jamroom install that is not really a "band" - that is, you will only use the Message section of Jamroom for this "band". Set your output type for this "band" to PLAIN, modify the plain theme message.tpl file to integrate with your site's style (or copy it and modify the whole theme to your heart's content) and then "include" it on your front page. I do this with talldude - my messages on the front page are from Jamroom.
4. Your "Genres" list can also be generated with the JRS.
5. Your "Official Members" could (possibly) also be generated with the JRS.

These are just on the front page - Jamroom could also manage your individual band "sub-sites" for you as well...

Looking at your site has given me an idea - the JRS needs a "random" mode - that is you can set it to show only "1" band/song, etc. and this could be a "featured" song or band, like you have on your site with the "Artist Spotlight".

Hopefully this points out some of the things Jamroom can do now - Like I said earlier I am always looking for ways to make it better. Thanks!!

- Brian

P.S. heres some of the things I am working on for (hopefully) beta 4 (I'm pulling this from memory at this point as I am not at my dev machine...)

1. Signup System - allow a band/artist to "sign up" on your server. They would be sent an e-mail confirmation with a code to come back and re-enter (or click on) for validation. The site admin will be able to approve/disapprove (can be changed in config) whether to allow the site to go live or not.

2. Disk space quotas on a per-artist basis. Beta 4 will probably have a single setting for users (in the settings.cfg.php file) where you can limit artists to a maximum number of SONGS or maximum amount of disk space. In a future release I will make this changeable on a per-band basis.

3. Ability to "brand" your site with ONE theme - that is, all bands will use the same Theme - the Theme browser will not even show as an available option. This way you can ensure all of your band "sub-sites" blend in well with an over-all unified theme for your site.

Plus many small bug fixes and small features (change database table names, etc.), but those are 3 of the bigger ones...

nobands

Posted: 08/08/03 14:00 
does the script create a lofi mp3 as well as the hi fi download on the fly?

different levels of member ship....
basic - 1 song and picture with info....
advance - 5 songs, and 3 photos with info....
pro - unlimited songs and pics, with info....
this way advance and pro you could charge. on my site i get payinmg members...thats my official members...

show postings....as in gigs. an artist in their admin could list shows and they show up on a master calender....great ffor local music sites...

artist admin

booking program....those artists that participate get a book band link and those who get booked through the site kick the band a percent of the paid gig for getting it....this would be a little advanced maybe, but nice extra money for the site....

streaming station.....a stream that plays ramdomly all the songs in the database....for like radio....you could have a radio admin in the master admin so admins could add drops in mp3 format to be thrown in between songs to say the site name....

admin approval of sign ups....

voting system...

feature songs....

and so on....when i come up with more, i will share.

If jamroom can become a great script as i see it becoming, i will want it for a serious license....
thx for writing this cool app....peace
Danny

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons