Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help:
congratulations!
zed

Posted: 08/10/03 06:32 
Brian,

I can only repeat what other posters have said: This script has a lot of potiential, and you can be sure that it will make many people very happy. Congratulations!

Been looking for something like this for months now, although I need it for DJs and DJ mixes. I've read through the whole website and forum by now and I've tried the demo. Now I cannot wait to install and play around with it on my box. From the forum I can tell that you are not only a great coder, but also a very kind supporter. Keep up developing this great script, I will be glad to pay the registration fee because you deserve it!

And yes, I will bother you with my wish-list in the very near future ;o)

Regards from Switzerland
Roger

Last edited by zed on 08/10/03 07:58; edited 1 time in total
zed

Posted: 08/10/03 07:54 
well,

I just uploaded the script and had a brief look at it. here's the first part of my suggestions/wish-list. maybe some of my ideas are of use to you...

1. advanced text formatting: it would be nice if bands would have some more text formatting options. i noticed that mailto and hmtl-links are not displayed as links, would be nice too...

2. opinions (or guestbook)
well, i really like the way bands can post their news. wouldn't it be easy to use the same format to implement a guestbook-kind-of-thing where users can leave their experiences/opinions/views on the band? of course this could also be extended to the uploaded songs: users can give comments to the songs or maybe even rate songs (or in my case dj mixes) with a rating from 1-10. of course these ratings could then be used to display yet another list with the fantastic rate.php Very Happy

3. change field titles in admin section
as I said I am not using jamroom for bands but for djs. it would be very handy if a sysadmin could change "band" into "dj" and "song" into "dj mix" etc... of course it can be done in the code, but you know how lazy people get...

4. auto-welcome email
I read the thread about the signup form which will create all the necessary folders for new signups and the other ideas (like confirmation link etc.). would be cool if bands would receive a customizeable welcome email after signup, including their signup information but also all the links to their update section, their public section, to the faq/help files

5. a default help-section
I know, this is definitely not something that you are supposed to provide. but maybe some of us early users are willing to help contributing a (html) help section where the process of inserting information /uploading songs etc. is explained in more detail. maybe I will develop such a help section for my page and then send you the link to it... if you want to you use all or parts of it.

6. keyword/artist/etc. search funtionality
well, the name pretty much says it all

7. multi-language support
this is not a wish or a request. just to offer you translating some language files into french and german Wink

as I said, jamroom is a very cool thing. I really hope that you find lots of time and motivation to go on developing it. so come on you lamers out there, support Brians work by registering your copy of Jamroom.

more to follow, will play around with it a little now

regards
zed

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/10/03 09:24 
Zed - thanks for posting your list there - those are some very good ideas, and I will put them down in my ideas list... thanks!

Let me go over a couple of your points, as they are do-able now, but may not be apparently so:

1. advanced text formatting - I think by this you mean the OUTPUT html that is generated for the Band site's. All of the "Themes" that are in Jamroom are fully modifiable, so if someone wanted to tweak a theme, they could do that to get it to do whatever they want. I will be releasing a Jamroom Theme Developers guide very shortly now (I know it is a missing piece), and am about 60% of the way through it. It will have details on how to setup your HTML to look however you want.

2. Guestbook idea for bands - I like it, and I don't think it would be hard to code either. watch for a future release Wink

3. changing titles - it may not happen in the next release or 2, but I will be building "language packs" for Jamroom as I have also had someone already who has agreed to translate Jamroom to Spanish. All I need to do is break the text strings in Jamroom out into a language file. At that point I imagine you could make it say anything you want.

4. I should be able to get this into the Signup System.

5. I know this is needed - be watching the Website today, as I have the Jamroom Users Guide 1.0 almost ready to go. Its not FULLY flushed out, but should help anyone get a good start in understanding how to work within Jamroom. If you have anything to contribute thought, its appreciated!

6. This will be coming with the next version of the JRS (jamroom Ranking System) hopefully..

7. see number 3

Thanks for the good ideas Zed - hopefully I can get many of these ideas into Jamroom. Thanks!!

- Brian

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules