Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization:
Theme and Options Modification Questions
indiemanagers

Posted: 02/06/05 23:48 
Fist off let me say that I just got the Jamroom package installed and have not read over everything regarding the Smarty Templates etc. I also have no PHP skills and use Dreamweaver for all my HTML coding. I have limited HTML knowledge. I know, totally a disadvantage, but I am willing to learn.

That being said...

The site I am installing Jamroom for is using the scripts in a slightly different way than most sites.

We are not looking to be an OMD, but rather a destination for Managers or self-Managed artist who are Members of our site to upload artist profiles so that we can have Industry Executives browse the profiles and contact their management in case there is interest in the artist or the artists songs.

The only people able to access our Jamroom are registered members and Industry Executives who have been invited. We use the aMember program to manage our memberships (in case that bit of info helps).

Once the Member user has logged on, they are taken to a navigation area which gives them access to the Jamroom. Here they can register an artist and search the Jamroom (we have called this section of the site the "Artist Observatory").

Basically we want our Jamroom (Artist Observatory) to have the look and feel of our Members Section theme.

I was thinking the best way to maintain a uniform design would be to pick out one of the already installed Themes I liked and modifying it. Basically I just want to modify the colors and insert the Indie Managers Association Logo. I may also want to alter some of the fields that are available for contact info and put the Managers Name and contact info as well as the Artists contact info.

Can this be done? Are we allowed to modify existing themes? If so, what is the best way to tackle the process?

Is it better to develop an entirely new theme? If so, how do you go about starting a theme from scratch (keeping in mind my limited skills). Or are there people out there who I could do an HTML mock-up for and have them develop a theme based on the mockup? If there is anyone out there who could do this, please contact me via PM or email.

Also, we do not want artists to be able to change the theme of thier band page. All pages on the site have to be uniform. I fI delete all but the one theme that I want from Admin, will this disable users from being able to modify the look of their artist page?

I was also wondering if it is possible to disable Jamroom features such as the following:
Stations
Artist Statistics
Charts
Store

Also, we will be inviting Industry Professionals to the site to check out our artists and we want to have them Login via their own "portal" that would bring them to a page that has the ability to search for artists by Genre or do a name search. Is this sort of thing possible and how would I go about doing that.

In a nutshell we will have two different users.
User 1 is a self managed artist or manager who will be uploading profiles and songs

User 2 is an Industry Executive who should only be able to search the artists by genre

If anyone can share insights on how I can tackle the above, please feel free to post here or send me an email.

Thanks very much.

Nat
IMA

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 02/07/05 22:49 
Welcome to the Jamroom forums indiemanagers!

I think the best bet for now, would be to just play around with the software for a week or so. And spend some time reading the documentation for customizing the themes.

If you are a registered user, you can "hack up" the themes any way you like, or create your own.

Before you start heavily modifying things, you may want to consider future compatability. Modifying themes and templates is great, but modifying the core functionality to exactly fit your needs will mean not doing to many upgrades.

Once you have an understanding of how the system works, I think it will make more sense how you can make things adjust to your needs.

Ofcourse, if you are having problems trying to make things work- there is a whole community here that can probably help!

Hope that helps a bit?

Cheers!

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
jackdaris

Posted: 02/07/05 23:27 

indiemanagers:
Fist off let me say that I just got the Jamroom package installed and have not read over everything regarding the Smarty Templates etc. I also have no PHP skills and use Dreamweaver for all my HTML coding. I have limited HTML knowledge. I know, totally a disadvantage, but I am willing to learn.

That being said...

The site I am installing Jamroom for is using the scripts in a slightly different way than most sites.

We are not looking to be an OMD, but rather a destination for Managers or self-Managed artist who are Members of our site to upload artist profiles so that we can have Industry Executives browse the profiles and contact their management in case there is interest in the artist or the artists songs.

The only people able to access our Jamroom are registered members and Industry Executives who have been invited. We use the aMember program to manage our memberships (in case that bit of info helps).

Once the Member user has logged on, they are taken to a navigation area which gives them access to the Jamroom. Here they can register an artist and search the Jamroom (we have called this section of the site the "Artist Observatory").

Basically we want our Jamroom (Artist Observatory) to have the look and feel of our Members Section theme.

I was thinking the best way to maintain a uniform design would be to pick out one of the already installed Themes I liked and modifying it. Basically I just want to modify the colors and insert the Indie Managers Association Logo. I may also want to alter some of the fields that are available for contact info and put the Managers Name and contact info as well as the Artists contact info.

Can this be done? Are we allowed to modify existing themes? If so, what is the best way to tackle the process?

Is it better to develop an entirely new theme? If so, how do you go about starting a theme from scratch (keeping in mind my limited skills). Or are there people out there who I could do an HTML mock-up for and have them develop a theme based on the mockup? If there is anyone out there who could do this, please contact me via PM or email.

Also, we do not want artists to be able to change the theme of thier band page. All pages on the site have to be uniform. I fI delete all but the one theme that I want from Admin, will this disable users from being able to modify the look of their artist page?

I was also wondering if it is possible to disable Jamroom features such as the following:
Stations
Artist Statistics
Charts
Store

Also, we will be inviting Industry Professionals to the site to check out our artists and we want to have them Login via their own "portal" that would bring them to a page that has the ability to search for artists by Genre or do a name search. Is this sort of thing possible and how would I go about doing that.

In a nutshell we will have two different users.
User 1 is a self managed artist or manager who will be uploading profiles and songs

User 2 is an Industry Executive who should only be able to search the artists by genre

If anyone can share insights on how I can tackle the above, please feel free to post here or send me an email.

Thanks very much.

Nat
IMA

Hi,
Yes, Everything you want has been done before.
You must have the Bonus pack to have all the capabilities you ask for.

Go to the documentation section read everything, very very carefully.
It will all become clear and amazingly simple.
Don't think any of it, as difficult.
I have found that it's all in the K.I.S.S. format.

PS Nice site.

indiemanagers

Posted: 02/07/05 23:41 
djmerlyn,

Thanks very much for the welcome and your suggestions.

I have been able to customize the style for admin so far and have been reading over the docs.

I got the "Theme Developer 2.2" going and so far from what I see, it looks like i just have to create my design and add the variables into that design and then make the config files? Not sure yet if it is that simple, but I am doing a lot of reading up on the Smarty templates etc.

I am assuming I have to creat a PHP file... that it can't be a .htm or .html file?

I wasn't aware that changing some core features could mess up future upgrades. I will keep that in mind.

Biran did tell me how to disable most of what I wanted disabled in the Admin menu, so that has helped tremendously.

We are registered users and do have the bonus pack.

One big question I have is about customizing the artist search page (newsearch.php)
I was wondering if it is possible to put a drop-down list of states and a drop down list of Genres along with what is already provided so that Industry users may quickly search by state or genre.

Or is it possible to include the functions of the newsearch.php page into another page that also has other features on it like navigation and text?

Do you know if this is possible?

Also if I wanted to change up that newsearch.php page look and feel, how would I do that.

I would also like to find out how to change the look and feel of a results page.

So many questions!

I shall keep reading.

Thanks for your answer.

IMA

Posted: 02/07/05 23:42 
Thanks JD.

We do have the bonus pack installed and I am perusing the Developer theme right now.

Thanks for your compliments on the site. We are working on an improved design and a Member Only site with a lot of enhanced features at the moment. Hoping to re-launch in March if all goes well.

TTYL

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules