Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization:
Record Label Site Flow
kvillines

Posted: 03/23/05 07:36 
Hi All,
I wanted to get some advise on using Jamroom for a small record label. I am already into the project and have my template finished. I am in the middle of organizing the UI for the user and artist experience. The way I want the flow to work:

1) Have a Main Record Label interface (Done)
2) Give the record label the ability to post record label events.
3) Have a record label store
4) Anything related to the record labels artists should show up under the record label. (ie An artist posts a record for sale it goes into the record label store, The events they post go into the record label events)
5) The artists would have a trimmed down artist template because most info would show up under the record label.

I have some ideas on how to achieve this using Templates and Smarty for the record label. The record label needs to be the main template but also needs to have its own account (artist account for Label). Then I would setup the smarty artist template (for Label) to look like the main template to handle the store and what not. Then remove the things I don't want on the artist pages.

Any Suggestions before I dive into this?

Suggestions are appreciated
-Ken

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/23/05 07:48 

kvillines:
Hi All,
I wanted to get some advise on using Jamroom for a small record label. I am already into the project and have my template finished. I am in the middle of organizing the UI for the user and artist experience. The way I want the flow to work:

1) Have a Main Record Label interface (Done)
2) Give the record label the ability to post record label events.
3) Have a record label store
4) Anything related to the record labels artists should show up under the record label. (ie An artist posts a record for sale it goes into the record label store, The events they post go into the record label events)
5) The artists would have a trimmed down artist template because most info would show up under the record label.

I have some ideas on how to achieve this using Templates and Smarty for the record label. The record label needs to be the main template but also needs to have its own account (artist account for Label). Then I would setup the smarty artist template (for Label) to look like the main template to handle the store and what not. Then remove the things I don't want on the artist pages.

Any Suggestions before I dive into this?

Suggestions are appreciated
-Ken

Ken -

this sounds pretty good. I'd recommend setting up your "Label Users" so they also have each ofthe artists under their "control" as part of the list of artists they have access to - that way they also have some control over what their artists might post.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

kvillines

Posted: 03/23/05 08:41 
Thanks Brian,

You kind of lost me Confused When you say "Label Users"...I am assuming there is a setting that makes an artist account a "Label"? And then artist accounts can be attached to the Label by adding them to a list called "Label Users"?

If you point me to the settings I can figure it out.

Thanks again
-Ken

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/23/05 08:56 

kvillines:
Thanks Brian,

You kind of lost me Confused When you say "Label Users"...I am assuming there is a setting that makes an artist account a "Label"? And then artist accounts can be attached to the Label by adding them to a list called "Label Users"?

If you point me to the settings I can figure it out.

Thanks again
-Ken

Ken -

what I mean by "Label Users" is the the user accounts assocaited with the "artist" account that is the label. So for example, you would create a new "Artist" Account that is the Label name. Next, you would create a User Account that is "tied" to the lable account. This is the "label user" (my own words). Lets say that label has 5 artists - you would create individual Artist Accounts for each of the 5 artists, then allow the "label user" to have access to those 5 artist accounts. You can add Artist Accounts to a User Account from the "Modify User" section in the Admin Menu.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

kvillines

Posted: 03/24/05 06:08 
Hi Brian,
What would you suggest about this?

I want the artist to enter his or her events and to enter products for sale. This would normally show up in their store or under their events. How should i go about getting all artists events and all artist products associated with the label into the label store?

Is there API to grab the items of artists who the label has "control" over? This will probably be my last question on the subject. Thanks for your help.

-Ken

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/24/05 06:25 

kvillines:
Hi Brian,
What would you suggest about this?

I want the artist to enter his or her events and to enter products for sale. This would normally show up in their store or under their events. How should i go about getting all artists events and all artist products associated with the label into the label store?

Is there API to grab the items of artists who the label has "control" over? This will probably be my last question on the subject. Thanks for your help.

-Ken

Ken -

I don't really see any way to do this, since if an artist creates the object it is then linked to their account. You would need to manually move it in the database. Sorry!

- Brian

cmaguire

Posted: 03/24/05 09:12 
You could do it by doing the store ranking and limiting it by your "label quota". And then do the caledar scipt and limit that by the quotas you want to.

Let me know if you need more precise details

Chris

kvillines

Posted: 03/25/05 08:01 
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the idea! More precise input would be great! I have never used "quotas" and this is my first Jamroom project. I think the tool is powerfull, just not familiar enough with it yet.

thanks for your help
-Ken

cmaguire

Posted: 03/25/05 10:24 
All of the ranking scripts and calendar scripts can have a quota variable on the end. So for example say your label quota is "5" (you can find this out by clicking modify quota in the admin menu and it will show you the quota id). To show store items only for your label bands (quota no 5) you would do:

http://enter your jamroom directory here/ranking.php?mode=store&order=5&pagebreak=12&pagenum=1&header_template=store_header.tpl&row_template=store_row.tpl&footer_template=common_footer.tpl&quota[]=5

This would show your labels store items in random order (note the order="5"). There are other ways you can demonstrate the look of this by changing the order value (1 thru 5 in store).

I belive you can do the same with calendar. So basically you can limit the output of store and calendar by quotas. You can use multiple different quota values too if you want to show items from three quotas by adding more values at the end:

e.g.

http://enter your jamroom directory here/ranking.php?mode=store&order=5&pagebreak=12&pagenum=1&header_template=store_header.tpl&row_template=store_row.tpl&footer_template=common_footer.tpl&quota[]=5&quota[]=6&quota[]=7

Hope that makes sense and hope I helped. Feel free to ask any more questions if your still stuck.

Thanks

Chris

kvillines

Posted: 03/25/05 19:43 
Thanks the great explaination!

-Ken

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 03/25/05 21:48 
I moved this over to the theme designers area...it could be of help to some others working on there site integration Wink

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules