Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization:
these smarty templates and CSS file driving me crazy
sputnik

Posted: 03/23/05 14:03 
I cant seem to get the dagum thing to make the text size fit in the box.

I have a table and when I added some info to the css file so that the text would look like i want it to. but i cant make the table squeeze in because the text aint the right size when your designing in. Only when you view it as a web page does the text take the right size but while im editing it its default text and too big to make my tables squeeze in nicely.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg

why.?????

anyone got any clues? Im using dreamweaver.

here is the link to see what im talking about.

http://www.sputnikradio.com/indie/ranking.php?mode=band&order=5&pagebreak=50&pagenum=1&header_template=artist_header.tpl&row_template=artist_row.tpl&footer_template=common_footer.tpl

sputnik

Posted: 03/23/05 14:10 
I mean the only thing I can think to do is just take the damned text out of the table.

geeeesh

sputnik

Posted: 03/23/05 14:13 
is there anyway to shrink the text in editing mode without causing the smarty error?

it loads the text size fine as a webpage but in edit mode it dont the text is default size which means i cant squeeze it in my table and make my table join together properly.

does anyone know what im talking about?

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/23/05 14:18 

sputnik:
is there anyway to shrink the text in editing mode without causing the smarty error?

it loads the text size fine as a webpage but in edit mode it dont the text is default size which means i cant squeeze it in my table and make my table join together properly.

It sounds like a problem with Dreamweaver.. ? What HTML tags is it producing that you are having a problem with?

- Brian

sputnik

Posted: 03/23/05 14:19 
is there anyway to change what default text is in dreamweaver?

everytime i make the text small enough to fit and make the table join properly i get the damned smarty error.

im literally pulling my hair out as i type Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

sputnik

Posted: 03/23/05 14:23 

bigguy:

sputnik:

It sounds like a problem with Dreamweaver.. ? What HTML tags is it producing that you are having a problem with?

- Brian

Its like this

I have a table with my images and some text in it

http://www.sputnikradio.com/indie/ranking.php?mode=band&order=5&pagebreak=50&pagenum=1&header_template=artist_header.tpl&row_template=artist_row.tpl&footer_template=common_footer.tpl

if you look at http://sputnikradio.com you will see the same table at top that is working fine.

now when i try to put the same table on a jamroom page header i have to go edit the CSS file to make the text look the same. However in edit mode the default text is too large and by default the color black .. Now if I select the text and make it smaller or change the color it gives the smarty errorr unkown font or font size or font color on line blah blah blah..

it seems that you have to refer to the css file for any text effects you cant just change the text yourself it causes a smarty error.

now i cant squeeze my table together because the default text is too large. Only when viewed as a web page and the css file generates the text effects does the text look like i intended which is fine but the problem is with the default text in edit mode i cant squeeze my table together.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/23/05 14:25 
This doesn't look like a font size issue - the font size on both look the same. It looks like the table top for the first one is wider though...

- Brian

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 03/23/05 14:28 
Looking at the source for both of those pages, the widths are very different (and go all over the place). If you are "resizing" your tables in dreamweaver, I highly suggest you drop to text mode and enter the width of your tables by hand so you are sure they all line up. You may want to make a "common" header you can just include - that way you only have to change it in one place and it is fixed everywhere.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

sputnik

Posted: 03/23/05 14:31 
cool i think i will create a common header If I can figure out how to do it.

I acutally just figured out how to change the default font in dreamweaver.

I almost got it fixed but theres still a little gap in there I cant tweak out.

sputnik

Posted: 03/23/05 14:33 
well i got that thing fixed that problem by changing the default font in dreamweaver to real real small.

now my problem is in my table i have one row grey and one row black . Now when I view it in edit mode it looks fine. but when i view it online because of the smarty templates which I hate btw I cant make the rows different colors they are all just grey.

I think I don't know what I am doing.

sputnik

Posted: 03/23/05 14:42 
thanks for the help

Im just really pissed right now I dont know what im doing and these smarty templates are kickin my butt.

I don't know how to make a common header what i am trying to do is edit the headers in jamroom to fit my needs and i cant seem to edit them . I don't know enough about all this to just go and make my own php files and stuff. The only thing i know how to do is edit whats already there. And it looks like I dont even know how to do that.

My phpbb forum was real easy it allowed me to edit the header just like any html file so thats why i dont understand why i cant just select text and do whatever i want to do. But jamroom gives me errors everytime i try to do that.

Would be nice if you could insert stuff in the headers and not affect the rest of the header but because of those smarty templates if you do the slightest little thing the whole page dont work.

oh well i guess i bit off more then i can chew. Im gonna have to pay someone to do this for me i can see that now.

sputnik

Posted: 03/23/05 14:45 
maybe there is another way hmmm.

Is it possible to have a blank field in a table and insert the php stuff?

for instance say i have a main page with a big header at top just a plain html file and underneath i have a blank table with nothing in it. Can i insert code into that table that will generate the different jamroom pages ie. artist,songs etc.?

so that way i dont have to edit php files all i have to do is just let them load into a table on an html page?

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 03/23/05 14:58 
It looks to me that your problem is actually having 2 different CSS tables in the same page, using the same names for CSS values (ie; jmTableH).

One way to handle that, is to make sure that you don't "include" content into another page that has CSS values that are the same.

Or, make different CSS sheets for different pages, and name the values different.

If you are using CSS on a page, and you "include" something that also uses a CSS, the included file will automatically take on the CSS of the main page its being included in to.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers!

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
sputnik

Posted: 03/23/05 15:06 
no thats not the problem.

the problem is that the css file that governs the page will not allow me to make the changes i want to make and I dont have enough sense to alter the css file to make it work like i want it too.

I edited the css file a little bit but could not figure out how to allow it for my table to have differnt colored rows.

sputnik

Posted: 03/23/05 15:12 

djmerlyn:
It looks to me that your problem is actually having 2 different CSS tables in the same page, using the same names for CSS values (ie; jmTableH).

One way to handle that, is to make sure that you don't "include" content into another page that has CSS values that are the same.

Or, make different CSS sheets for different pages, and name the values different.

If you are using CSS on a page, and you "include" something that also uses a CSS, the included file will automatically take on the CSS of the main page its being included in to.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers!

yeah but what would be nice is if you could say for instance edit the color the size of font anyway you wanted independent of the css file like i can do with phbb forum headers. I don't like css files never use them i prefer to just edit each page and each block of text myself accordingly to how i want it to look and not have it refer to a css file as to what its supposed to look like.

in the jamroom headers if you say for instance insert a line of text that says "welcome" then you select the text and change the color or size the jamroom script will give you an error saying that it could not recognize the blah blah blah on a certain line of code. the reason for this being I have figured correct me if im wrong is because the page will not allow any "styles" or text changes built into the page . It will only allow the css file to dictate what that line of text will look like.

but oh well i guess it will be a learning process for me

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization

12Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons