User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
The Greenroom:
On-line Jamroom Seminars
Pitufo

Posted: 05/03/05 21:46 
i have yaho and the audio conferencing works pretty good

xlikelinusx

Posted: 06/23/05 20:12 
Has anyone here used ventrillo? I hear its great for web gaming, but how about conferencing. I really like this idea, I have weekends off usually one or two saturday a month i work, but weekdays im home by 7 MST

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 06/23/05 22:47 
I've used ventrillo and teamspeak and they both work pretty good.

I have spent a lot of time thinking about this, and I get the impression that the turn-out will be extremely low if we try to do this in real time.

I think archiving things for on-demand would be better, perhaps with a forum thread to go with it for further discussion.

However, I also think that will be a fairly low turn-out. Ultimately if we want to provide seminars and such, probably the best way to do it with the least amount of up-front effort will just be with maintaining the docs. Everything else people seem to enjoy figuring out for themselves.

I don't know? It seemed like a good idea at first, but the more I watch the forums, the more I notice that people tend to come by only when there are problems with there systems. There are a very small minority of us that spend time here providing community help and assistance- and that are active in the forums. The more active forum members will likely be the ones we are going to be catering to for this.

It might be better to work more on some team building...I think after the "Jamroom Network" is up and running, we will find the forums to be a little more busy...but thats sortof a "wait and see" type of thing.

Thoughts?

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
Paul
Jamroom Team

Posted: 06/25/05 02:27 
I think you're right deej. The real time thing will never work because of the time zones. Keeping the docs up to date is the main thing for now. And this forum works pretty well. Its the nature of forums that people come and go.
Pa

Datnigz2002

Posted: 08/19/05 01:04 
Hey, I never saw this post and just posted something like this under suggestions. I say we do it! It would be nothing to create yahoo ID's and private rooms for conference under yahoo! I use to do it all the time.

Perhaps Brian can create an announcement or sticky for time and date and all can post if and when they are available and what their yahoo ID will be. Wink

If it be in the evening that would probably be convenient for most. Something like

7 8 9 10 O'Clock for coast to coast OR 6PST 7MNT 8CST 9:00ESTpm

Posted: 10/03/05 07:35 
I was browsing around and saw this thread and wiondered if:

http://www.silcnet.org/

might be of interest?

david

GryMlock

Posted: 10/03/05 20:01 
i wouldn't mind staying up at odd hours meeting u guys here in real time chat. would be interesting. Just let me know if u guys are giving this a go. I'll try my best to attend.

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 12/03/05 17:40 
So, I think I might have an idea...

I vote NO to voice chat. From what I've found so far, a chat system is either:

a) voice conferencing
b) text chat only
c) text and voice (if you try yahoo, you will see the voice is a lot like "CB" or citizens band radio...everyone talking over eachother, a bit of a waste and non productive.)

I have not found a chat server that will only allow a moderator or admin to use voice while preventing all other users from "squashing" the conversation.

I say we use straight text chat. Yeah, we all type for hours upon hours per day...but atleast there would be no extra effort involved for "transcripting" the session for others to read if they missed it.

I have found some really nice "non IRC" windows/unix chat servers. I don't much care for the PHP based versions, they are a bit slow and tend to "flicker" and contantly reload pages. When a chat window gets full, the PHP chat scripts show there not really up to par.

Some of the EXE chat servers I've found are very nice, and I would be happy to run it off of my windows server for my other toys Smile

There are also some CGI and Java based chat systems which really work well, but can be picky with browsers and security settings.

I think it would be cool to get something set up for the new year...but curious about interest really. We can have a fairly productive chat with 4 or 5 people....but it would really be neet to see everyone involved- most of all it would make the production side of it more worth while.

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 01/25/06 20:40 
I'm still up for doing this (and think it would be fun!).. does everyone agree with DJ's idea of having it be text only?

- Brian

rgnelson

Posted: 01/25/06 21:53 
I'll jump in and say "yes".
I would love to hear/read what others are interested in!

Quote:
I think it would be great as a community to have a sort-of "monthly gathering" to discuss new projects and ideas, and even discuss issues about the music business in general. Or whatever comes up. It may even cover basic instructions for general administration of your website and databases, or how to work within SSH or TPL files.

There seems to be alot of creative people using JamRoom with great ideas.

Douglas
Jamroom Team

Posted: 01/26/06 05:21 
Count me in... Cool

GryMlock

Posted: 01/28/06 09:08 
you will definitely not understand the single word coming out from me if it's voicechat.

text chat is all good

BMI999

Posted: 02/08/06 23:11 
A newcomer can join? I want to join too. At any time, any day, in text or in voice. Very Happy

Posted: 02/12/06 15:50 
I for one think this a great idea, and definitely think text-only is the way to go.

djmeryln:
I don't know? It seemed like a good idea at first, but the more I watch the forums, the more I notice that people tend to come by only when there are problems with there systems. There are a very small minority of us that spend time here providing community help and assistance- and that are active in the forums. The more active forum members will likely be the ones we are going to be catering to for this.

Well, I come in for help only at this point because I am killing myself trying to complete my site, which is not an easy task for someone who knows little about php/smarty. But as time goes by, and I have learned a few things, I hope to be able to chime in with assisting once in a while. I think the chats would be a nice thing to participate in if they get up and running, and it would be interesting to hear a lot of different perspectives on how people go about doing things.

Jill

Datnigz2002

Posted: 05/08/06 14:18 
I second that. Maybe there should be two. 1 for day and 1 for night for the people who live on the other side of the earth. Wink

I also still have no clue what SMARTY is and what it does exactly. Rolling Eyes Could use some education on that as it seems everything is moving to SMARTY and I still have no clue what the term means and I've been around here for about 3 years. Sad

Also I just thought something that may help Brian a great deal. I came accross a program with artificial inteligence. It watches you as people ask questions and you answer them. Eventually it is able to answer the questions for you because it learns from your conversation. You can also enter things manually. I tried it myself and it works. What it doesn't know it forwards the question to you and you answer the question. From that point it will know the answer from then on. Its really kool, and it really works. I was thinking of getting it for my JAMROOM.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
The Greenroom

< Previous1234Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules