Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Sites and Promotion:
Is anyone making money?
BJ Walters

Posted: 09/19/10 07:55 
Is there any Jamroom site that is actually making enough money that they do not have to work a primary job? Sad What would you consider making enough money to keep a Jr website from working for the other man Question hmmmmmmmmmm. I make money but its not enough to keep me staying home and working and promoting my jamroom site full time. I see some of these jamroom sites with 2,000 or more artist. I wonder if they are making money? I have noticed a lot of the websites that have many, many users on there site are mainly stocked jamroom skins. Nothing extra, Just the basic look. Then I go to some of the really fancy looking sites and maybe only see 35, 65, maybe a 100 or so users. With a finger pointing at me, I'm so guilty. I spend more time trying to make my site look good. I went from Cobalt, to flashback, to nova, to Proton 2 and then Proton 2 failed me. Then I had to go back to Nova. Well I need to quit spending all my time tinkering with my site rather than just keeping it like it is, and promoting the website with all its tools to offer. Just yacking thats all......... Laughing Any feedback would be appreciated.

BJ
CAPER

Posted: 09/19/10 21:37 
maybe you need a new approach , do some research and stuff

bodawg

Posted: 09/20/10 06:13 
Maybe find a good marketing forum to join and sit in on some discussions and learn what other people do to promote and drive traffic to their site.. something like warrior forum? I'm not promoting this forum 'cause I've never looked at it really but do a Google search and find one you like, join and adapt what you learn to promoting your own site.. marketing and promotions is a whole other world and a full time job, you need to always stay current on new techniques and be very persistent.

How do you want to make money? Selling advertising, products, services?

There's really no easy explanation unless you have a decent budget to spend on (for example) Google ads or some kind of advertising (pay per click ads of some sort)

I ran a site way back when, 10,000+ unique visitors a day, using Overture (now owned by Yahoo) but it cost a lot of money! But I learned that if you don't have all of your ducks in a row when the visitors get to your site (something that catches their eye, a product or service they just have to buy or can't live without).. then all of that money you spent driving visitors there is a huge loss, so there is the easy way to drive traffic if you have the money, you can have 10,000 uniques to your site by the end of the day if you pay, but will they buy something? Will the percentage of them click on your ads in order to cover your costs of advertising? Etc.

You need to find a unique attribute of your site that will push them to join and keep them coming back.

To obtain and keep new visitors, you'd need to have a good source for consistently fresh music, video and photos (hopefully contributed my your users) start writing informative articles for your archive pertaining to what your members would be interested in (one a day that's not too much to ask) have a friend help you write articles by the end of the year you'll have a ton of interesting information. Maintain your frequently updated admin news blog so your members have a reason to come back to "see what your going to say next" etc. etc.

I listen to goofy morning shows on the radio in order to get good ideas for topics of discussion and entertaining articles/blogs because their topics are always current. watch the news and take some quick notes for a current event.

You gotta have attractive content when new or old visitors arrive to your site or they won't join or find a reason to come back for that matter.

Hard to do it all by yourself, but it's got to be done, try including some close friends who would be interested in getting involved with the site, make it fun and start appointing positions for each of them so they can just intensely focus on one particular part of the site I.e. Bill handles marketing and promotions, Jill handles updating admin news blog and content, Steve handles customer service/customer relations, John handles all media, etc. then get together and brain storm, try new ideas to promote the site and make it better more friendly, more attractive, easier to use, more personal towards your members. Have Steve in customer service keep in touch with your current members through the "newsletter manager" on a regular basis so they have a reason to check their in-box and so on. Have Jill start an interesting discussion in the forum on a regular basis as part of her position and get members involved in it. Etc. Etc. You've got to use your own tools to stay in touch with members, that's why they're there!

Need artists? Google "independent artists" or something similar, find their main website and try to contact them directly by email to see if they'd be interested in being promoted on your site (bulk up your site a little)

There's alot to do to get and keep members/artists but they're your bread and butter.. come up with a plan, do your research, set your goals (what you want to accomplish every day) and start making a habit of it!

-Robâ™ 

Posted: 09/20/10 08:36 
Wow. Man I just want to say thank you for all the helpful info. You took your time to write that means a lot. I will use some it these technices you recommended. What you said very very true. I'm impressed. Thanks so much for your reply.

BJ
bodawg

Posted: 09/20/10 08:53 
Hey Bj,

Just be careful of some of the marketing forums as they will sometimes try to sell you alot of garbage I.E- ebooks and other marketing programs and materials that just aren't worth the money you pay for them. Just go for the "free" useful info and apply it to your situation.

Mostly I think of marketing forums as inspiration for coming up with promotional ideas of my own just don't fall for the paid gimmicks, software and stuff!

Make sure to keep a log of all your ideas! Write it all down.

I wish you the best Very Happy

-Rob

Posted: 09/21/10 09:13 
Thanks Rob,

I appreciate the helpful info. Yes I know.... you really do have to be careful with those "Buy my best kept secretes for $19.95 " today. blagh.blagh...blagh... lol... he he he..... Yes I seem to not write my ideas down, nor do I keep logs of things. I guess I need to be more proffesional with my duties.

Thanks again
BJ

BJ
Brimstone

Posted: 09/21/10 12:11 
I found a neat site that can give you some insight...

http://websitegrader.com

BJ Walters

Posted: 09/21/10 13:05 
Hey that was nice of you as well Brimstone. Glad to know we have great JamRoomers to work with and a lot we can learn from people from all walks of life and from around the world .

Thanks again Pal! Laughing Laughing Very Happy

BJ
mymusic

Posted: 09/26/10 22:09 
There is a BIG difference between building a website and building a business.
Most people think you build a fancy website and people will all rush to your pretty looking site.
It's the same as building a fancy store in the middle of the Ozarks.
Why would people come all the way to your site?

Unique? Sorry to say but there is nothing unique about a JR site, and pretty much 95% of what else is out there.
Content? Yep, good content is one thing that attracts people and may keep them coming back.
So what can you do for your users that keeps them coming back for more and telling their friends?
How can you involve your users in actively participating in your site?
Having thousands of daily visitors to your site can be very expensive, and JR needs lots of bandwidth and HDD space. Hosting won't be cheap.
I would say you also need a business plan (or roadmap), not fancy or elaborate, just basic.
At least in bullet form to start with.
Where your want to go, how your going to get their, and what you need to do to get there.

Good luck

beazyboy

Posted: 09/27/10 16:24 
So much competition in the www. world ... its really hard , if you don't have massive bank to spend on advertising/promoting it kinda blows .... getting your page rank up and having sites linking to you are all very helpful , one last thing i believe the age of your site has a lot to do with were you fall in the search engine results ... Only if it was easier, I think when everyone first starts they think wow im gonna get paid off this ... but yea there is so so so much more involved, If you want to actually have a successful website making steady income, Gonna take , Time, Patience, Money and maybe a few black hat tricks Wink

BJ Walters

Posted: 09/28/10 05:18 
Your absolutely correct beazyboy. You have to pull somthing out of the hat. I have had a few good ideas that have worked in the past. Looking for bigger and better ideas now. Thanks for the reply about how you thought my site looked clean. I appreciate it. Have a great day.

BJ
emdiamond

Posted: 12/28/10 08:06 
This is a good question. Can we see an answer? Maybe a list of the sites that are most succesful would help?

BJ Walters:
Is there any Jamroom site that is actually making enough money that they do not have to work a primary job? Sad What would you consider making enough money to keep a Jr website from working for the other man Question hmmmmmmmmmm. I make money but its not enough to keep me staying home and working and promoting my jamroom site full time. I see some of these jamroom sites with 2,000 or more artist. I wonder if they are making money? I have noticed a lot of the websites that have many, many users on there site are mainly stocked jamroom skins. Nothing extra, Just the basic look. Then I go to some of the really fancy looking sites and maybe only see 35, 65, maybe a 100 or so users. With a finger pointing at me, I'm so guilty. I spend more time trying to make my site look good. I went from Cobalt, to flashback, to nova, to Proton 2 and then Proton 2 failed me. Then I had to go back to Nova. Well I need to quit spending all my time tinkering with my site rather than just keeping it like it is, and promoting the website with all its tools to offer. Just yacking thats all......... Laughing Any feedback would be appreciated.

Prawn

Posted: 12/28/10 10:16 
biggest i ever heard of was hxcmp3.com

emdiamond

Posted: 12/28/10 13:42 
Looks like it's called stereokiller.com now.

Good to see. thanks

Prawn:
biggest i ever heard of was hxcmp3.com

chorton581

Posted: 12/29/10 21:43 
I think that maybe reverbnation.com

I had a 14k member jr site and it just paid the hosting bills.
Adsense and text links.

I am curious if anyone has been successful with a subscription service.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Sites and Promotion

123456Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules