Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Sites and Promotion:
Is anyone making money?
BJ Walters

Posted: 12/29/10 22:12 
@ carton581 you had a 14k member Jr site . Wow. You could have charged $1 banner ads a month and made good money. It seems like there is no success in a subscription site. I don't know how these other websites do it. What's the trick. I think the whole music websites are way too swamped. I thought about taking a jamroom site into another direction as in a business directory. People always wants to push there business. But hey who am I to say what's good. I bummed out. It seems. I would love to make money. I have threw away so much money on my jamroom site. But can't get no where. Don't get me wrong,jamroom is addicted. Nothing against jamroom. I love this site.

BJ
Michael
Jamroom Team

Posted: 12/29/10 23:34 
If the plan is to put up a website then instantly start making money, the plan needs a rethink.

http://money.cnn.com/2002/01/22/technology/amazon/

Amazon Posts first-ever profits:
Amazon ..... posted a net profit of $5 million ..... with a net loss of $545 million a year earlier

They didn't start off making money. but they did have a plan.

Prawn

Posted: 12/29/10 23:58 

chorton581:
I think that maybe reverbnation.com

I had a 14k member jr site and it just paid the hosting bills.
Adsense and text links.

I am curious if anyone has been successful with a subscription service.

no way re verb is a JR system.....

i never made money on mine ...break even at best on costs on hosting, but not on what i have spent Smile

My stats since switching to JR

¤ Profiles
Artists: 2,513
Fans: 4,683
Comedians: 8 - just added
Record Labels: 59
Venues: 20- just added
Festivals: 13- just added

¤ Content
Gallery Images: 3,028
User Blogs: 2,034
Artist Reviews: 2,248
Events: 1,137

¤ Music
Total Plays: 112,029
Total Streams: 108,612
Total Downloads: 3,417

¤ Video
Total Plays: 12,551
Total Streams: 12,462
Total Downloads: 89

¤ Site Stats
Radio Plays: 2,300- just added no longer use main admin station
TV Views: 318- just added no longer use main admin station
Current Viewers: 10
Newsletter: 4,222
Page Views: 1,813,805

BJ Walters

Posted: 12/30/10 08:25 
@ Prawn what is your website address! Man sounds like you are doing well! Very Happy

Great Success! Laughing

BJ
emdiamond

Posted: 12/30/10 21:41 
What happened to your site?

chorton581:
I think that maybe reverbnation.com

I had a 14k member jr site and it just paid the hosting bills.
Adsense and text links.

I am curious if anyone has been successful with a subscription service.

mymusic

Posted: 01/04/11 04:20 

ussher:
If the plan is to put up a website then instantly start making money, the plan needs a rethink.
http://money.cnn.com/2002/01/22/technology/amazon/

Amazon Posts first-ever profits:
Amazon ..... posted a net profit of $5 million ..... with a net loss of $545 million a year earlier

They didn't start off making money. but they did have a plan.

Amazon had changed their plan many times by 2002 (and after) doing much of what they originally said they would never do, which was touted as the reasons why they would be better.
Amazon was also had ~$6B carried over losses at one stage.
What they do excel at is raising capital by selling at loss and convincing investors that one day they will make a profit.
The reasoning being as long as they sell below cost, sales will keep growing and one day they will make a profit. Which of course can come by putting up prices, or by commissions and services as per their current plan.
Amazon was paying 5-6 dollars every book it sold.

kacoblack

Posted: 01/10/11 09:38 
also, not every new artist out there wants to pay to advertise his/her career. same goes for users(fans), subscriptions to a nobody knows website when f***book is so out there and free join and use.

how about record labels? No.

it is better to keep this as a hobby that does not charge more than $50 a month to your wallet!

ktb1025

Posted: 01/10/11 14:50 
You got to get creative if you want to make money. Not that I'm making money off of JR, but as a live music venue owner, I find JR immeasurably useful.

1) I recruit artists using JR. If you want to play here, you must create a profile.
2) I host their music & videos, and encourage them to use offsite links, facebook, etc. I even have a twitter app on every participating band page that scrolls their recent posts.
3) I host LIVE concerts online. We stream all of our shows.

I do all of this using my JR site, excluding the live stream, but that's embedded on my main page anyway.

I guess the point is... You can utilize any CMS software out there, you just gotta have a plan!

BTW... I'm not making jack off of the JR site per se, but it is without a doubt, the most useful tool I've ever encountered when it comes to booking shows and promoting the bands that play them.

Home of TTF-TV!!!
cmpnetwork

Posted: 02/08/11 22:48 
I make some revenue on my site since i started doing a total subscription base i got about 22 subscribers paying anywhere from 20 Per Year to 50 Per year its a good start since the new prices to be on my site i would rather charge per year then per month for access to my site and i am going to be doing some more stuff where there will be a budget package for 5 per year but it will be really restricted on what the talent can do.

sonpol

Posted: 02/10/11 04:18 
Hello, I made money with Jamroom - this is really good script .
Now I'm working on site with NOVA theme (switched from ProJam Dark) . One of the most interesting for my users section is now "wall" (as facebook wall) - www.musicbox24.pl/wall .

My site: www.musicbox24.pl is now one of the most popular social music sites in Poland. Next day I want to start mass mailing, with more than million e-mail addresses from my few last projects , with users which give me pemission for mailing .

Stats now:

Online now 462
Accounts 20,084
Streams 511,239
Downloads 3,093
Video 4,535
Station Plays 50,940
Page Views 1,237,731

I'm a partner with many recorders - Sony, Universal, Warner , EMI and more .
This site with my radio on demand- www.rf24.pl - give me a solid option for money every month ...Smile

Posted: 02/10/11 09:24 
Im actually taking the time to rethink my strategy and create a master plan for my site here are my stats so far

Current Stats
5,720 Users And Counting!
978 Gallery Images!
744 Producer Reviews!
307 Blogs!
6,026 Fans!
Beats
Plays (307,901)
Streams (306,659)
Downloads (1,242)
Videos
Plays (4,067)
Streams (4,049)
Downloads (1Cool

Prawn

Posted: 06/06/11 10:47 
In my honest opinion JR just needs some changes to the way it handles users - profiles - quotas -members etc, thus enabling it to be more user friendly and less complicated.
You need to know code to run a JR..But you also have have users who are willing to do the work as well as the system and its complications make it very unfriendly for daily use of a user.
If you look you will see the vast majority of jamrooms have no problem obtaining Artists, but they battle to maintain users and have proper user interaction.

I have a list of things i believe could make it better for the user, as its pretty decent for the artist at present. Those would be my ideas and not necessarily what the JR community or the developers want..So it is what it is and you have to use it for that..

I been running my system forever now and i still see them same issues, i honestly think they are what hold us back as true competitor to the big CMS system..yes i know it is a MCMS Very Happy

Prawn

Posted: 06/14/11 08:15 
I am selling all my jamroom sites, skins, modules and everything i own.. if you interested, let me know as i have two rather large sites with a bunch of domains..

Thanks

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 06/14/11 08:37 

Prawn:
In my honest opinion JR just needs some changes to the way it handles users - profiles - quotas -members etc, thus enabling it to be more user friendly and less complicated.
You need to know code to run a JR..But you also have have users who are willing to do the work as well as the system and its complications make it very unfriendly for daily use of a user.
If you look you will see the vast majority of jamrooms have no problem obtaining Artists, but they battle to maintain users and have proper user interaction.

I have a list of things i believe could make it better for the user, as its pretty decent for the artist at present. Those would be my ideas and not necessarily what the JR community or the developers want..So it is what it is and you have to use it for that..

I been running my system forever now and i still see them same issues, i honestly think they are what hold us back as true competitor to the big CMS system..yes i know it is a MCMS Very Happy

I agree with you on this. Over the years Jamroom has basically grown "organically" - i.e. new features and items have been added in mostly as they have been requested, and in my opinion there is just too much going on inside at this time. I'm already working towards simplifying and streamlining quite a bit of the Jamroom back end - there are quite a number of features that simply need to be moved out to a module, or done away with all together.

For many years the focus in Jamroom has been on providing features as users have requested them, but it ultimately has simply created a more complex program - you need to be fairly technical to have a good understanding of how Jamroom runs/works. If you do have that type of technical ability, you can really do anything with Jamroom - in fact we sell A LOT of Jamroom systems to sites that are migrating off of other systems because they need the flexibility that Jamroom provides. So the trick is to find a better "balance" of options that are going to be useful for the site owner, yet that the same time those options can't make it too complicated for the user.

Now I know that doesn't help the situation RIGHT NOW, but I would love to have your feedback on what you think could be improved to help the USER (i.e. your artist's fans).

Thanks!

- Brian

Luis456

Posted: 06/14/11 16:11 
What I've seen on my sites is that Artists or fans hate going to control panel and once they go there they get lost or make some mistakes, or they don't know how to ad a song, pictures, music, etc. Even though I have the help section, they just don't like doing the extra steps. After that they got angry because of the complexity to use and never comeback. In my opinion that it really will help jamroom exceed is to not to have control panel exempt for the Administrator, similar to phpfox, boonex, which have done some great improvements on their newest release and social engine which are very simple for the users to use. For example on face book on your profile picture, you have to option to edit the profile, change pictures, photos, with out having to go the control panel. It is all in the user front page.

Any ways I hope that it makes sense.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Sites and Promotion

< Previous123456Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons