Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Sites and Promotion:
Is anyone making money?
webster

Posted: 07/26/11 09:33 
I can say that direct advertising for ad placement is very good on my end.

Basically, you have to know your audience and know what you can offer them. You also have to research and check out competition.

If your goal is getting subscriptions, like they say you have to sell the benefits of why visitors/members should become a subscription member. Is your subscriptions unique? Are you offering some extras with your subscriptions (resources, downloads, etc)? The list can go on. Just to give you an idea. There is money to be made online, but you just have to figure out what will work for you and your audience. Research + trial and error.

Quote:
My members also tend to be intimidated by having to learn yet "another" control panel. Jamroom is easy but still it's a fact that it's differently laid out from any other type of site or cms I've used or seen. That ranges from phpFox to Dolphin and a few other no name experimental scripts.

If you're worried about users being intimidated by the control panel and learning a new one, you can also make video tutorials using the free software camstudio to teach them how to use it. There are so many options on what you can do such as making an alternative template page to look like phpFox and sending them to it after they login. Use the jr_logged_in around the html section so it only shows to logged in users. If they click a link on that page it takes them to the actual control area. Think simple and you can accomplish what you're wanting to do.

And I agree with you ILoveHouseMusic, sometimes less is better and then start gradually adding.

Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/26/11 18:39 
@webster Have you made some jamroom how-to videos? Would you mind putting them up for sale on earner.net as a downloadable file? You pick the price and keep the profit. That is somthing i have been thinking about making and selling as a service, but if you already have them, I don't need to.

webster

Posted: 07/28/11 15:35 
@ussher I did have some how-to videos for one of my sites at one time which was designed around the skin back then. When I clear off my long list of to-dos I plan to make some new ones. I was just giving examples to help others in the JR community. Go ahead and take a stab!

Posted: 08/02/11 10:48 
its great for bands but it sucks for fans...thats what i get told and what I experience when using my own site as a fan..it really is that simple..

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/02/11 13:47 

Prawn:
its great for bands but it sucks for fans...thats what i get told and what I experience when using my own site as a fan..it really is that simple..

I know that the "friending" process (going into the control panel, accepting) is a bit cumbersome, but can you provide some feedback on what exactly sucks? I'd love to get some details and feedback that can actually be worked on.

- Brian

iLoveHouseMusic

Posted: 08/02/11 14:56 

bigguy:

Prawn:

I know that the "friending" process (going into the control panel, accepting) is a bit cumbersome, but can you provide some feedback on what exactly sucks? I'd love to get some details and feedback that can actually be worked on.

- Brian

I think you should be able to friend without having to enter a note (maybe make it an option), ie 1-click, "your request has been sent".

On the accept side - well, unfortunately I feel like most of our "accept a friend" experience is coming from facebook. Meaning 1-click accept, (from the top nav menu dropdown)... ie no need to even go into a control panel.

So from a UI perspective in JR - Having to go CONTROL PANEL > FRIENDS > ACCEPT is visually 2 pages too many. If that makes sense.

I'm hoping that was helpful - wasn't trying to pour salt on the wound.

jamesd116

Posted: 08/02/11 15:41 
Maybe a quick link that shows up on all pages that says friend. Requests answer shows a (1) when u have a request like fb u click on it and it shows your friend requests all on one page and you click accept or declining.e

Posted: 08/03/11 08:26 

bigguy:

Prawn:

- Brian

How many people who work at or with Jamroom are actual fans of a jamroom site and use it DAILY...... Choose any of the member site, Spend 1 hour on any Jamroom site as a fan and you will see its plain boring..If you can find something to do for an hour that is.. ( i personally have visited EVERY listed member site thats link still works..same story everywhere..

I have been mentioning ideas and changes since i joined, the lack of affordable skins (yes they are disgracefully overpriced and you should get exclusivity if you pay that kind of money for a skin) is only one of the issues, modules that should be default but are for sale..COMPLICATED COMPLICATED....

But to be honest, it is obvious that no one at Jamroom runs a Jamroom site or USES a jamroom site, which is why its great for bands and sucks for fans.. almost all jamrooms have no problem getting bands, but they have no fans..Fans may join up, but thats it, participation is pretty dead...

Running a DEMO site is NOT the same as a real site...

The whole way JR runs and does stuff is old school....

I think establish what the purpose of Jamroom is first and what its future is.. then it can move forward and make changes to join the rest of the social world in the 21st century.
Cause it cant run with the same GOALS it had when starting, thats just not evolutionary...

BJ Walters

Posted: 08/03/11 08:59 
What I like to know is how all the other sites that are not jamroom sites, make it. Reverberation,purevolume etc. These guys seem to make big money. For you example prawn, your site has many many users. If you charged a $1 an ad per artist you could make some money man. I just dunno.

BJ
iLoveHouseMusic

Posted: 08/03/11 13:38 
Reverbnation is a Jamroom site???

BJ Walters

Posted: 08/03/11 13:48 
ILHM do your saying reverberation is a jamroom site? Or are you asking that?

BJ
iLoveHouseMusic

Posted: 08/03/11 13:50 
I'm asking.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/04/11 12:37 

iLoveHouseMusic:

I think you should be able to friend without having to enter a note (maybe make it an option), ie 1-click, "your request has been sent".

Make sure and check out the "jr_skip_fan_comment" advacned key:

http://www.jamroom.net/Jamroom4_Advanced_Settings#jr_skip_fan_comment

Hope this helps!

- Brian

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/04/11 12:39 

Prawn:

I think establish what the purpose of Jamroom is first and what its future is.. then it can move forward and make changes to join the rest of the social world in the 21st century.
Cause it cant run with the same GOALS it had when starting, thats just not evolutionary...

You'll be seeing an announcement in the near future that directly addresses this.

Thanks!

- Brian

Prawn

Posted: 08/05/11 11:09 

iLoveHouseMusic:
Reverbnation is a Jamroom site???

NO

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Sites and Promotion

< Previous123456Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform