Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help:
SPAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
blackvault

Posted: 11/25/11 13:28 
Can anyone tell me where the 4.2.6 change set is? I still only see the 4.2.5 options.. and am getting hammered hard by these SpamBots.

Any help is appreciated!

bigguy:
I've just uploaded an updated Jamroom 4.2.6 Change Set for the Jamroom Bonus Pack that addresses the ability for a user to signup to a quota that has signups disabled:

http://www.jamroom.net/index.php?m=td_tracker&o=view&id=1897

The check was being enforced but only for Invitations to the quota, not direct signups.

I would recommend upgrading to the latest signup.php in the change set, and please let me know if you see any issues. I wanted to get this out as quickly as possible so did not put this change through the normal testing process, but being a relatively minor change it should be good.

Thanks!

- Brian

smith.kyle
CodeSmith

Posted: 11/25/11 13:30 
They are here:

http://www.jamroom.net/Downloads4_Test

Kyle

Yes...that's a soda machine...

I get bored when no one's posting...
blackvault

Posted: 11/25/11 13:51 
Still getting new spam accounts and new messages for approval after upgrading. Is there anythign else I can do? Yes, I am using RECAPTCHA as well.

Michael
Jamroom Team

Posted: 11/25/11 17:16 

djmerlyn:
.....moving signup.php to signup.php.bad and well I'll be damned if that doesn't solve the problem lol

Thats a really important piece of info DJ. If that does solve the problem it means they are using that to file to sign up (as opposed to direct database injection or something else.).

--edit--
And this is interesting:
http://foswiki.2555947.n2.nabble.com/How-to-stop-fake-registrations-lavabit-com-accounts-tt4185986.html#a4237395

from foswiki discussion that also were having the same problem.

Lynnwood Brown:
On some of the sites that I manage there are custom required fields in the registration form. These sites have experienced zero fake registrations. The only explanation I can come up with is that the fake registrations are mostly generated by scripts that presume standard registration pages.

So this suggest one immediate strategy for stopping these registrations is simply to add a custom required registration field. It might be something as simple as a checkbox that says the user has read the terms of use or a drop down of how the user found the site.

This obviously isn't all that sophisticated but from my experience it works.

rickallen

Posted: 11/25/11 18:38 
Getting hammered again after doing the signup.php 4.26 fix and going to recapta. No good. Had to disable my signups by renaming the signup.php file.

Once this is fixed we really need a way to safely remove these users.

Rick

kdh

Posted: 11/25/11 20:15 
you guys need to get to a shell and run the script i posted up a few days ago/posts back with the ban lists I have.

We have zero issues and zero spam at this time.

if you can't get command line root and or sudo access to your box, then you need to get a new webhosting provider.

musilo

Posted: 11/26/11 02:40 
Excuse me can you resume what is the definitive resolution to this spam problem?
Thank you.

rickallen

Posted: 11/26/11 10:17 
Kdh, thanks for the offer and I may have to take you up on it. I'm trying to avoid ip blocking since these attacks seem to be coming from all over the world including the US. Think I will set it out for a while to see what the team comes up with.

Whatever it is I hope it includes "deny all" on signups and "reject all" on messages. Better yet some checkboxes to select stuff to delete would be a good addition to some future release. Got to clear this stuff out.

BTW, anyone with this issue might want to set messages to admin approval. I see the spam bot us flooding my message system too.

Elder

Posted: 11/26/11 10:52 
What about implementing a Paypal verification fee for signups. Something like a nickle (you can note to them that you will refund the real member instantly by Paypal later) after the payment is paid they would get redirected to a verified signup page. I mean this would probably weed out most of the spammers and bots out there since they would have to pay a verification fee everytime they wanted to signup with fake accounts.

kdh

Posted: 11/26/11 14:40 

rickallen:
Kdh, thanks for the offer and I may have to take you up on it. I'm trying to avoid ip blocking since these attacks seem to be coming from all over the world including the US. Think I will set it out for a while to see what the team comes up with.

Whatever it is I hope it includes "deny all" on signups and "reject all" on messages. Better yet some checkboxes to select stuff to delete would be a good addition to some future release. Got to clear this stuff out.

BTW, anyone with this issue might want to set messages to admin approval. I see the spam bot us flooding my message system too.

the neat thing about my script is if you reboot the host, all the deny rules go away. So in the short term, it works out really well. when the storm clears up, you just reboot the host a few weeks later and your rule set is back to default.

kdh

Posted: 11/26/11 14:43 

Elder:
What about implementing a Paypal verification fee for signups. Something like a nickle (you can note to them that you will refund the real member instantly by Paypal later) after the payment is paid they would get redirected to a verified signup page. I mean this would probably weed out most of the spammers and bots out there since they would have to pay a verification fee everytime they wanted to signup with fake accounts.

not really a spammer could be swift enough to have one account with enough money to cover his fake accounts, and just script that. also, i know my users would revolt if i had a 5 cent paypal sign up fee. so as long as its optional, id be ok with it.

kdh

Posted: 11/26/11 14:46 
im down to banning 2 ip addresses an hour now...

if you want to stop your spam problem, i suggest you use the script i wrote on page 3. it stops your spam problem dead in its tracks.

henryjimdix

Posted: 11/27/11 05:20 
The recaptcha change seems to have worked. Phew!

Posted: 11/27/11 09:52 
It looks like my registrations have stopped... but is there an easy way to get rid of the thousands of spam accounts? I am still getting quite a bit of messages coming in, presumably from those spam accounts.

cmpnetwork

Posted: 11/27/11 10:04 
Well i been going through the database itself and removing new user tables in the jamroom_user table i am only going to remove records until a certain date or time. i already secured my system again and disabled blogs for music fans for the time being. But on the flip side its actually knocking up rankings in alexa lol. not really sure how that working out.

blackvault:
It looks like my registrations have stopped... but is there an easy way to get rid of the thousands of spam accounts? I am still getting quite a bit of messages coming in, presumably from those spam accounts.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help

< Previous12345678Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules