Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization:
Multiple CSS
Dazed

Posted: 05/18/12 05:24 
Has anyone found an easy way to allow a user to choose a skin layout?

Basically I want to copy the existing CSS and then create a custom firm field for them to chooses. I tried this in the header file but was unable to get it to work before I needed to head out. I will look at it again tonight but thought I would see if anyone had any luck.

I have seen the switcher.js version and suppose I could do a drop down menu on the index page but would really prefer it tied to the user so it changes on login.

Thanks!!

boplive

Posted: 05/18/12 06:18 
I tried the switcher .js along time ago..in one of my sites...and it worked well..with the help of SteveX.

NOW REGARDING THE BOTTOM

Arrow I have seen the switcher.js version and suppose I could do a drop down menu on the index page but would really prefer it tied to the user so it changes on login.

are you looking to have a different background on each page as you switch pages or like you mentioned in the beginning of your post...skin switcher...
its kind of 2 different things that your asking for. Wink

Dazed

Posted: 05/18/12 06:37 
Thanks for the reply. Consider having multiple themes. The user can change themes in the control panel. What I want is the same thing but at a site level. When I said "skin" I mean layout not JR skins.

So right now I have projam2.css. I want to mark that up with different images and colors and say call it projam2-blue.css. I want the user to be able to go in to the control panel and choose default or blue from a drop down custom form field. Either from a user level or artist level. So I could write a conditional statement in the header file based on the custom form field. I tried that this morning but had to run to work so I did not get a chance to finish.

Douglas
Jamroom Team

Posted: 05/19/12 04:08 
Check out Nova Dazed, it uses a skin config setting to change the different CSS files, but could easily be changed to use a custom form field variable.

Hope this helps,
Douglas

Dazed

Posted: 05/19/12 12:33 

SixString:
Check out Nova Dazed, it uses a skin config setting to change the different CSS files, but could easily be changed to use a custom form field variable.

Hope this helps,
Douglas

cool thanks Douglas. Every time I think my master css is done, I change something. Always the way isn't it? Once I get that done, it should be pretty easy. Right now I setup the switcher and it works but I would really prefer they set it at an account level so it is permanent.

Dazed

Posted: 05/19/12 19:16 
Douglas where is this in Nova?

Douglas
Jamroom Team

Posted: 05/20/12 06:02 
Its in the jr_header.tpl file...

Code

{if $smarty.config.site_style == 'Cocoon'}
<link href="{jr_css_src skin="Nova" config="css_cocoon.php"}" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen">
{elseif $smarty.config.site_style == 'Diamond'}
<link href="{jr_css_src skin="Nova" config="css_diamond.php"}" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen">
{elseif $smarty.config.site_style == 'Red_Nebula'}
<link href="{jr_css_src skin="Nova" config="css_red_nebula.php"}" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen">
{else}
<link href="{jr_css_src skin="Nova"}" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen">
{/if}

instead of checking the smarty config variable, check your custom form field variable...

Code
{if $YOUR_VARIABLE == 'name_of_css_style'}
<link href="{jr_css_src skin="Nova" config="css_cocoon.php"}" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen">

etc...

Hope this helps,
Douglas

Dazed

Posted: 05/20/12 06:42 
Hey Douglas! That was actually what I tried first since ProJam2 has the same setup. The problem I had was that when using a custom form field, it did not change anything. I tried a band and user custom form field with no luck. I am assuming it can't be changed at that level?

Douglas
Jamroom Team

Posted: 05/21/12 05:49 
Most likely the custom form field variable is not available in the header template. You could always do a ranking call in the header to get the variable though... maybe something like:

{jr_ranking mode="user" user_id=$_USER.user_id row_template="user_css_row.tpl" assign="USER_CSS"}

then in the user_css_row.tpl add your custom USER form field variable... then you should be able to check the variable {$USER_CSS} for the css style.

Hope this helps,
Douglas

Dazed

Posted: 05/21/12 06:58 
Awesome! I will give it a shot!

Dazed

Posted: 05/21/12 19:10 
Well it seems like it should work! It will display Black but blue does not get displayed. Anything you see missing?

user_css_row.tpl

Quote:
{$USER_CSS}

I ran a debug on it and it reads "Blue" or "Black" so that is good.
ie. user_css => "Blue"
user_css => "Black"

index_header.tpl

Quote:
{if $USER_CSS == 'Blue'}
<link href="{jr_css_src skin="ProJam2" config="css_light.php"}" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all">
{else}
<link href="{jr_css_src skin="ProJam2" config="css_dark.php"}" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all">
{/if}

css_light.php - my css is ProJam2_Blue.css

Quote:
<?php
// css.php - Skin CSS definitions
defined('IN_JAMROOM') or exit();

// Full path to CSS file => minify/no_minify/code
$_css["{$jamroom['jm_dir']}/skins/ProJam2/ProJam2_Blue.css"] = 'minify';
$_css["{$jamroom['jm_dir']}/skins/ProJam2/js/lightbox/lightbox.css"] = 'minify';
// No closing PHP tag is needed!

Michael
Jamroom Team

Posted: 05/21/12 21:08 
are you sure that {$USER_CSS} is sometimes equal to 'Blue'?

Try outputting:

Code
User Css is : {$USER_CSS}

to see what is in that value.

-- edit --
my guess is that the var you want is {$_USER.user_css}
{if $_USER.user_css == 'Blue'}......

Dazed

Posted: 05/21/12 21:26 
That did it!

Thanks All!!!

Dazed

Posted: 05/22/12 04:36 
Now for hopefully my last question. The conditional statement seems to be pretty straight forward and not much different from the old one. Why is it when using the 'Blue' template does my site come to a grinding halt? I checked the logs and nothing was there. The page loads are will into the 30-60 sec range where on 'Dark' they are a few seconds. I know building cache could be part of it but even when I refresh it is the same slowness.

Thanks!

Dazed

Posted: 05/23/12 17:28 
Thanks again for the help guys. I played with it a bit more and it just ran so slow on my site. I am not sure what the real difference was between the existing call and new call but it was not feasible. The dev site ran great but there was only one user there.

Appreciate the help!

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Site Design, Integration and Customization

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules