Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Announcements:
Jamroom 5 RC1 has been released!
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/14/13 07:47 
I have just updated the Jamroom 5 Downloads page with the first Release Candidate of Jamroom 5:

http://www.jamroom.net/Downloads5

This new version addresses the bugs and issues that have come up during the beta 9 release, and really solidifies a lot of the functionality. We're currently in a "feature freeze" for Jamroom 5, and we will have the "final" Jamroom 5 release out by the end of the month. This Release Candidate version of Jamroom 5 looks the same and contains the same functionality as the final Jamroom 5 release will, but we're hoping to get a bit more eyes on the package to help us iron out any last minute issues.

Changes in RC1 versus beta 9:

• Modules have been reorganized (meta data) and have new categories in the ACP that should make things a bit clearer.
  • Lots of new features in the eCommerce section including new shipping and handling features and new reporting tools.
  • New "browse" section for Followers where profile owners can approve (or delete) followers. There is also a notification in the drop down menu if there are followers awaiting approval.
  • Bug fixes in the core Queue system should have it working better with large queue depth and multiple processes.
  • Updated jPlayer (audio and video player) that should work a lot better on Firefox on Mac.
  • New User and Profile browsers available in the ACP drop down menu that makes it much easier to search and modify User and Profiles.
  • Lots of bug fixes

So we need your help over the next week or so in catching any last minute bugs you might see, so please update to RC1 and let us know if you see any issues.

The Super Pack is going away! - If you have not bought the JR5 Super Pack, this is your last chance - we'll be removing it very soon and moving the individual modules to their own packages, so get it while you can:

http://www.jamroom.net/Purchase/Licenses

I want to thank everyone for all the help during the Jamroom 5 beta - it's been a long time and I'm really excited about how the platform has evolved during this time - it's going to provide us a fantastic base to build on for years to come. I also want to thank all of you that have purchased the Super Pack - you're support and feedback is what we work for on a daily basis.

On behalf of the team, I hope you enjoy the new release!

- Brian

Last edited by Brian on 07/28/13 09:12; edited 1 time in total
RickStaRr

Posted: 07/14/13 10:05 
I like this new update. jamroom 5 is a very cool platform, its interface has a sleek design & user friendly layout. I hope to see more features such as direct playlist links for offsite streaming, advertisement modules for site index & playlist streams & most importantly, PayPal integrated shopping carts & subscriptions for those who choose to stick with PayPal's free checkout system. I don't disagree with nor intend on taking away from the foxy cart solution, but I feel like we as paying customers should maintain the right to choose the payment solution of our choosing. As a first time jamroom user, I see this project as a high potential solution that I will support for years to come. I will continue testing & if I encounter any issues, I will report them accordingly.

speaking of which, I think tht a error reporting tool should be included in the future. so if we encounter an error, a pop up box should pop up giving us an option to report the error automatically. which should include the effected module, nature of error, error code & what action triggered it. I believe that such a solution would save time reviewing forum posts, processing error reports & addressing solutions to the problem.

*suggested error reporting structure: errors from multiple submissions should increase the error priority. error priorities should be classified in categories (ie. minimal, moderate, severe & critical). error reporting system should be a dedicated system with its own database to process errors, determine it's priority & generate a work Que for developers to review, troubleshoot & address the error.

*disclaimer: a possibility is something that could happen vs. something thats destined to happen.
perfectgamestudios

Posted: 07/14/13 12:49 
Would you say being RC it's ok to use for live site now
And just update as you release them

ouviste

Posted: 07/14/13 17:38 
I don't see an installation readme file on the JR5.0 core, I already have JM4 running on the server and would like to know how I could install 5.0 and then convert the 4+ to the 5.0.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
RickStaRr

Posted: 07/14/13 18:24 

ouviste:
I don't see an installation readme file on the JR5.0 core, I already have JM4 running on the server and would like to know how I could install 5.0 and then convert the 4+ to the 5.0.

Based off the things that I have heard, it is not possible yet. jr4 & jr5 use two different language structures. If I'm not mistaken, the JR developers have not yet created a migration install for previous versions of JR. To be on the safe side, you may want to wait on Brain (or a JR team member) to give an official reply.

*disclaimer: a possibility is something that could happen vs. something thats destined to happen.
BiGD

Posted: 07/15/13 03:35 
I just purchased the RC1 5, what is the easiest way to upgrade or is that even possible, is the fresh install the best way? then import my db?

Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/15/13 04:04 
The jrImport module will be available when JR5 is fully released.
Here is its current documentation so that you can get an idea of what its all about -

Quote:
Jamroom5 jrImport Module

Revision History
V1.0.0 dd mmm yyyy - Initial release.

Description
Provides a Jamroom5 tool to import items (songs, videos, blogs etc.) from a Jamroom4 site into a Jamroom5 site.

Installation
Copy this module and all its files and folders to the Jamroom5 modules directory.
Jamroom4 database info and files are sourced via the custom module jrExport supplied with this module in the Jamroom4_jrExport_Module folder. Install this module on the Jamroom4 system in the normal way. If you have cluster servers, be sure to synchronise them so that the jrExport module is copied to all clusters.
Communication with the Jamroom4 module is verified via a key code. In jrExport settings, enter an alphanumeric key of your choice.
To configure this jrImport module, click on its Global Config tab. The help buttons against each field provides full information on what is required.
Note the quota selection field(s) that define how Jamroom4 quotas are mapped to Jamroom5 quotas. If you want your Jamroom4 artists and members to be imported to equivalent Jamroom5 quotas, you need to create them prior to import.
When saving this form, jrImport attempts a test communication with the Jamroom4 jrExport module and reports the result.

Usage
Click on the module's Tools tab, then the Import button.
There is an extensive list of checkbox options to control the importing of all Jamroom4 items. The help button against each checkbox gives more information.
All checkboxes are enabled by default. Leave them as such and run the import process. Hopefully all will go well and you shouldn't need to uncheck any of these options before retrying (see below).
Jamroom4 database tables for each item are read, looped through, tested for validity and the equivalent Jamroom5 items are created. Any associated media files are copied to the correct Jamroom5 profile folder.
Import progress is reported in a modal window. The same progress information is written to the /data/logs/jrImport_log file.
After successfully importing your Jamroom4 site, keep this module installed and enabled as it also provides a password listener that allows users to login to the new Jamroom5 site with their original password. You may now want to lock the module (Global Config) to prevent any accidental re-imports.

Troubleshooting
Transferring data and files (particularly large media files) over the internet is hazardous!! Its not uncommon to encounter timeouts and other errors that can cause this import process to hang. If there is no import progress for more than a few minutes, refresh the page and click the Reset Progress Table help button for what to do if/when this happens.

Caveats
It is highly recommended that Jamroom4 sites are only imported to new, freshly installed Jamroom5 sites so as to avoid profile, user and item conflicts
As all Jamroom4 media files are copied to the Jamroom5 system, please ensure that you have enough disk space for them all.
In addition to the above, Jamroom5 converts media to MP3 and FLV formats, saving the original files. Also, if media files are 'for sale', sample files are generated. The upshot is that its difficult to assess how much Jamroom5 disk space is needed for the import so maybe best to initially have twice as much of the Jamroom4 site usage available.
The whole of the import process takes time, particularly when copying media files. One hour per 10 Gigabytes of data is not uncommon. Please be patient.
A good knowledge of both Jamroom4 and Jamroom5 systems is essential for understanding and using this module.
MOST IMPORTANT: Please be aware that Jamroom4 and Jamroom5 systems are completely different and not 100% compatible. Not all Jamroom4 item data may be imported or be immediately visible in the Jamroom5 system. jrImport will import Jamroom4 items to compatible Jamroom5 modules, not necessarily equivalent, eg. Channels and Stations are converted to Playlists. Not all Jamroom4 media files are used by Jamroom5, eg. Playlists have no associated image, so Jamroom4 Channel and Station images are lost. Also, Jamroom4 user images are not imported, but copied from the Jamroom5 Profile image.
Jamroom4 song and video items for sale as vault items will have their price set in Jamroom5, but be aware that the download file upon sale is the original media file, not the optionally uploaded Jamroom4 vault file.
Store, photo and event (tickets) Jamroom4 vault items are not imported. Other Jamroom4 vault items are imported to the jrFile module and sold from there (please ensure that jrFile is configured to accept the required file extensions).
No Jamroom4 sales history is imported.
No Jamroom4 activity or error logs are imported.

Import Service
If all of this seems a bit daunting, Jamroom Network offers an import service. Please visit http://jamroomnetwork.com/xxxx for more information.

ouviste

Posted: 07/15/13 04:29 
Ok, will wait, thanks.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
ouviste

Posted: 07/18/13 08:35 
Perhaps a dumb question but here it goes, I can't find nothing on it anywhere on the superpack list of modules.

Is JR5 mobile friendly?

Paul
Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/18/13 08:42 

ouviste:
Perhaps a dumb question but here it goes, I can't find nothing on it anywhere on the superpack list of modules.

Is JR5 mobile friendly?

Yes. All JR5 skins are 'responsive' in that they will resize and re-format to suit the device that they are being viewed on. Also, uploaded media is converted to formats suitable for smartphone and tablet players.
hth
Pa

ouviste

Posted: 07/18/13 16:31 
Thank you Paul, great to know.

ouviste

Posted: 07/19/13 05:42 
My next question is, will it be possible to show mobile friendly ads ONLY in the mobile friendly version?

Paul
Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/19/13 05:52 

ouviste:
My next question is, will it be possible to show mobile friendly ads ONLY in the mobile friendly version?

With a bit of template work it should be. There are custom smarty conditional checks you could use -

Code
{if jrCore_is_mobile_device()}
    // Show a mobile ad
{elseif jrCore_is_tablet_device()}
    // Show a tablet ad
{/if}

RickStaRr

Posted: 07/19/13 15:24 

Brian:
I have just updated the Jamroom 5 Downloads page with the first Release Candidate of Jamroom 5:

http://www.jamroom.net/Downloads5

This new version addresses the bugs and issues that have come up during the beta 9 release, and really solidifies a lot of the functionality. We're currently in a "feature freeze" for Jamroom 5, and we will have the "final" Jamroom 5 release out by the end of the month. This Release Candidate version of Jamroom 5 looks the same and contains the same functionality as the final Jamroom 5 release will, but we're hoping to get a bit more eyes on the package to help us iron out any last minute issues.

Changes in RC1 versus beta 9:

• Modules have been reorganized (meta data) and have new categories in the ACP that should make things a bit clearer.
  • Lots of new features in the eCommerce section including new shipping and handling features and new reporting tools.
  • New "browse" section for Followers where profile owners can approve (or delete) followers. There is also a notification in the drop down menu if there are followers awaiting approval.
  • Bug fixes in the core Queue system should have it working better with large queue depth and multiple processes.
  • Updated jPlayer (audio and video player) that should work a lot better on Firefox on Mac.
  • New User and Profile browsers available in the ACP drop down menu that makes it much easier to search and modify User and Profiles.
  • Lots of bug fixes

So we need your help over the next week or so in catching any last minute bugs you might see, so please update to RC1 and let us know if you see any issues.

The Super Pack is going away! - If you have not bought the JR5 Super Pack, this is your last chance - we'll be removing it very soon and moving the individual modules to their own packages, so get it while you can:

http://www.jamroom.net/Purchase/Licenses

I want to thank everyone for all the help during the Jamroom 5 beta - it's been a long time and I'm really excited about how the platform has evolved during this time - it's going to provide us a fantastic base to build on for years to come. I also want to thank all of you that have purchased the Super Pack - you're support and feedback is what we work for on a daily basis.

On behalf of the team, I hope you enjoy the new release!

- Brian

Hey Brian,

Once JR5 become an official release & you guys end the feature freeze, are there any plans on releasing a PayPal based shopping cart & subscription module for membership & media? I don't have enough documentation nor freetime to develop (such) a dedicated module myself & I personally prefer PayPal only over a paid subscription to process payments on my website. -Thanks

Michael
Jamroom Team

Posted: 07/19/13 15:44 

RickStaRr:
...are there any plans on releasing a PayPal based shopping cart & subscription module for membership & media? I don't have enough documentation nor freetime to develop (such) a dedicated module myself & I personally prefer PayPal only over a paid subscription to process payments on my website....

The answer is no.

If there is demand, a 3rd party developer will need to build it.

You might like to comment on SteveX's thread here:
http://www.jamroom.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42464

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Announcements

12Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core