Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Ultrabubble:
JR5, Foxycart, Paypal... Stripe?
RickStaRr

Posted: 07/20/13 05:41 

SteveX:
Thanks for the feedback RickStarr. I can understand what you are saying, and exactly where you are coming from when saying it.

But there is something you are missing: The FoxyCart modules are the "super payment module"s that you suggest as a solution. It deals with more payment providers than any cms could build in itself (even ones with millions of users like joomla), so it does provide many options for a wider variety of business models. So far it seems to be very popular with the majority - even without allowing for the multiple forum accounts factor, only a few people have expressed any dissatisfaction with it, and most of them have become more comfortable with it once they have looked into what it is and what it will do for them.

There are not enough Jamroom developers, and not enough customers, not by a long way. Hopefully the new payment options will bring more new people on board, at least enough for Jamroom to survive, maybe enough to become viable/profitable. Sure some customers will be lost as jr5 will not be suitable for them, but that's no bad thing - there are a handful of jr customers that any cms would prefer to be without.

So, back to the original point of this thread. If I were to develop an alternative payment module for the people who do not want to use foxycart, would you prefer it to be a less capable module using paypal, or a more capable module using stripe?

honestly Steve, I prefer PayPal. it's free, I have been using it for 7yrs, my customers have confidence in it & Its all I know at this point. I haven't heard of foxycart nor stripe until now, no one where I'm from are talking about it. and lastly, there isn't anything that anyone can tell me to sell me anything other than PayPal. I already have a $50 monthly VPS bill, I spent $35 on a skeleton to develop a streaming android application that is powered by my website. the script for my website is/was the final piece of the puzzle, it cost me another $99. there is no way I'm going to inherit another bill, just to do something that I have been doing for free. I found Jr in the search engines, I came here to purchase j4 webmaster due to the features and familiarity but couldn't resist jr5 when all those features are listed for $99. compared to $199. now my project is officially on hold because PayPal & offsite m3u streaming is not supported in Jr5. I may end up scrapping my jr5 site & find another system

*disclaimer: a possibility is something that could happen vs. something thats destined to happen.
bodawg

Posted: 07/21/13 22:05 
As much as I hate to say it, I think the majority of people are far more comfortable with familiarity... especially online!

They click that "buy it now" or "check out now" button and the PayPal screen appears and in my opinion they feel like your site has some credibility to it. Even if only psychologically they feel that they are making a safe transaction, the name "PayPal" maybe the only reason they will follow through.

I think I'm personally aware of this because I've felt this way myself as a consumer!

I'd lean towards PayPal.

-Rob

Ultrabubble

Posted: 07/22/13 02:43 
Great feedback Rob.

Where are you regarding FoxyCart? Are you going to be using it on a live site (with paypal as the processor)?

Thanks

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

Ultrabubble create things.
bodawg

Posted: 07/22/13 11:06 
I have to admit Steve, I'm not as schooled at what FoxyCart is, does and costs as I should be! I looked into it briefly as time permitted.

I'd be using it more along the lines of selling physical goods and possibly subscriptions on a live site. My main feeling is that I like to pay for a solution once (I.e.- Jamroom payment pack) as opposed to Foxycart where you are making continuing payments for the use of the cart indefinitely.

It maybe a tough pill to swallow especially for those just starting a new site using FoxyCart and thinking "I'm spending more on the solution than I'm making off of it at this point". Where as the Jamroom 4x solution was basically free after what I thought was an extremely reasonable price for the paypack. And would gladly pay more for the same with a couple needed features.

Down the road, when and if your site starts making consistent money, the cost of the solution isn't as big of a deal even if it is a recurring cost.

I realize that Jamroom is not built to be a full fledged shopping cart solution but that's why I personally liked it- quick and simple for anyone to use. (That's the Craigslist side of me)

There were only 2 things I would have liked on the old system- multiple item images (which is supported by 5x now) and a way to manually edit combined shipping costs on multiple items purchased per individual customer. (That's the Ebay side of me)

I do like FoxyCart and it's flexibility! I'm just not sure if I want to continually pay for the service.

Thanks Steve,

-Rob

Posted: 07/24/13 14:09 
I also think PayPal is the better option. It was built into JR4 and would be a shame to loose it.

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 07/24/13 14:27 
It has been lost, which is why we are talking about possible alternative viable solutions here.

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 07/24/13 14:40 
Just to qualify that, you can still use paypal with foxycart and it will be a seamless transition. here, we are talking about alternatives to using the jrFoxyCart module.

If you haven't yet read about it, best to read the foxycart marketing stuff to get a handle on why it would work for you and why it's worth $15/month. If having read that the scenario doesn't work for you, I'm really interested in your feedback.

So far, almost everyone is won over by all the extra stuff that foxycart and jr5 provides. Some balk at the extra cost, but an alternative is unlikely to be cheaper given the numbers.

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 07/29/13 15:10 
b360 I have jsut deleted your post, it was interesting to read your views on how great and predominant paypal is, but that is not the point of this thread. Please try to keep any future posts here on topic.

b360

Posted: 07/29/13 15:14 
Sorry Brian directed me to post here based on my own post I created and that it was relevant ?!

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 07/29/13 15:17 
Thats great and your +1 for a paypal solution has been noted. However, a specific question has been asked because I am wondering if there will be enough customers to make doing the work worthwhile (at the moment clearly not).

So this isn't the place for general paypal love.

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 07/29/13 15:40 
Just a reminder of the question.

Quote:
So, at last, here is the question: If I switched current development to the Stripe API rather than the PayPal API, would people gain or lose interest in this particular possible alternative to FoxyCart? Stripe pricing is the same as Paypal, 2.9% +30 cents, no monthly fees, and I think works out cheaper when other charges are taken into account. It also has a future imo.

perfectgamestudios

Posted: 07/30/13 16:00 
I would say go with it I also been developing paypal solution using restful it does not actually take much editing up the foxycart code to work with paypal.

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 07/30/13 16:12 
Thanks perfectgamestudios, comment noted and much appreciated. Assuming that you wouldn't be a potential customer as you are creating your own solution, but let me know if that isn't the case.

Intro2Music

Posted: 08/01/13 15:22 
Steve, I've now had a chance to talk to some of my clients about using Stripe and most seem to like the idea of how it works. A few did show concern because they also use other online shopping baskets (booking calendars etc) where their own customers pay via Paypal but overall, they liked the idea of taking online payments and having them integrated into their company bank account without the hefty additional cost of using the bank's merchant facilities. Having online sales monies processed through their own bank accounts as simple deposits without the need for human interaction is very attractive to my clients, as is Stripe.

If you build the JR5/Stripe module Steve, I'll be the first one to buy it. Probably a few, actually.

btw, what's happening with the UK beta testing of Stripe API? Is there any word yet of when a stable Stripe can be expected?

Mick

Ultrabubble

Posted: 08/01/13 15:40 
Thanks Mick, valuable feedback.

No news as yet regarding uk stripe beta status, but I will post here as soon as I hear anything.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Ultrabubble

< Previous1234Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons