is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Ultrabubble:
JR5, Foxycart, Paypal... Stripe?
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/01/13 15:59 

perfectgamestudios:
I would say go with it I also been developing paypal solution using restful it does not actually take much editing up the foxycart code to work with paypal.

Just want to be sure you know the foxycart modules are licensed under the JCL, so you would not be able to redistribute your changes - however we're working on a special developers license that would allow you to use a JCL module as the basis for another module that you can distribute - more details coming down the road.

Thanks!

- Brian

cmpnetwork

Posted: 08/19/13 19:32 
i think you should have a option for paypal, foxycart and whatever else you are working on. I am working on a JR site for someone and well frankly i think paypal should be reinstalled back into the core honestly.

Paul
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/20/13 04:39 

Quote:
i think you should have a option for paypal, foxycart and whatever else you are working on

FoxyCart supports PayPal, as well as a ton of other payment gateways. We don't need to work on any others.
Checkout all the other forum threads on this topic.
Pa

ukdenny

Posted: 08/20/13 08:54 

Quote:
So, back to the original point of this thread. If I were to develop an alternative payment module for the people who do not want to use foxycart, would you prefer it to be a less capable module using paypal, or a more capable module using stripe?

I personally would be interested in a paypal module for JR5 similar to JR4.
I will not under any circumstance use JR5 with just foxycart.
I have purchased mods and skins for JR4 from developers and would continue to do so if JR5 has a paypal option. (Not one included with Foxycart)
After purchasing the JR5 bundle I have now reverted to JR4 because of this issue.

cmpnetwork

Posted: 08/20/13 10:05 
but from what i gather you have to "pay" foxycart a monthly fee just to use there service. What i was saying was have it like how you all did in JR4. either way i will just tell the client to get the merchant account at foxycart.

Paul:

Quote:
i think you should have a option for paypal, foxycart and whatever else you are working on

FoxyCart supports PayPal, as well as a ton of other payment gateways. We don't need to work on any others.
Checkout all the other forum threads on this topic.
Pa

ktb1025

Posted: 08/20/13 16:00 
I'm quite sure that there isn't going to be a paypal option that is not tied into foxycart. For that reason and that reason alone I'm sticking with JR4. Since I run the risk of being admonished for stating the obvious, I'll end it there.

Home of TTF-TV!!!
SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 08/20/13 16:06 
Difficult to tell whether to count you as interested in a Paypal module, or a Stripe module, or not interested in any modules at all Kevin.

Could you clarify please.

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

Ultrabubble create things.
ktb1025

Posted: 08/20/13 16:40 
Hi Steve, as much as I'm the kind of guy that goes with the flow, in a nutshell I'd be interested in the functionality of a paypal only module. Of course, my personal feeling is that it should have been an integral part of the JR5 upgrade, but since we're not headed in that direction, I suppose that if one was created I would have to evaluate whether or not to pay for it or just stay behind like I've been doing. After all, I paid once already for that functionality with JR4.

It's kind of sad to think that I spent the better part of 7 years enjoying what I thought was the best CMR on the market for what I do. Things change, I get it. I'd never bash the JR team or the direction they took things with the advent of JR5.

I'm kind of intrigued with JR5, and even bought the package. But after evaluating what's best for me right now, I'm still content with what I got, strictly due to the paypal functionality when selling tickets.

Home of TTF-TV!!!
SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 08/20/13 17:09 
Ok, much clearer, thanks Kevin.

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

mattbrady

Posted: 08/31/13 06:24 
"emotional rather than logical/real issue?"

For what it's worth... I think the issue is simply financial.... I would not use JR5 or any cart system not based on Paypal. Like it or not PP is the defacto payment system for online users. Period!
And as for the branding "foxycart?" LOL! Keep it out of my chicken house!!

Ultrabubble

Posted: 10/03/13 17:21 
So, what do you guys think now that you have gotten over (or avoided entirely) the initial speed bump?

Is an alternative form of payment really necessary? Or have you been seduced by the obvious advantages?

I'm sure that Iz (and invizIz+, and invizIz++,...) will log in 27 times to say that he can never conceive of anything which might improve his business (and there are obvious reasons why).

But what do the rest of you think having tried it out? (if you haven't tried out / looked into foxycart and you just want to post your comment from last month all over again, please don't bother to post, I will delete it).

Fresh comments from people who have tried it out some, are really welcome - please tell me how it went for you, your experience as a consumer (owner/webmaster/dev), what you thought of the foxy docs/marketing (do you get it or not), and where you are at with it all now (sold,deciding,wanting,hating,Iz).

harleychicks

Posted: 10/03/13 17:37 
I bin reading all the post on this issue and taught foxy cart would produce more sales but it did not , and I will be discontinueing foxy cart's $20 monthly fees until the pay pal module is ready ....

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 10/03/13 17:48 

harleychicks:
I bin reading all the post on this issue and taught foxy cart would produce more sales but it did not , and I will be discontinueing foxy cart's $20 monthly fees until the pay pal module is ready ....

Iz dat u Iz?

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 10/03/13 17:49 
I mean, what can I say?

b360

Posted: 10/03/13 20:57 
I have given foxy cart a trial on my beta site. I have not launched yet but I have gone through all the features and am really impressed with what the Jamroom team has done by intergrating FoxyCart.

However in my case im still looking turning to alternatives. Since im coming from a C# background im not as stong in smarty or php yet but im working on it. So its a little harder for me to turn out a solution here but I haven't given up just yet and theres always outsourcing to someone who does this better..

I feel that Jamroom 5 desperately needs a basic shopping cart system with out monthly fees as a key to success. With all the other social networking script sites out on the net these days (some are currently offering a better alternatives then FoxyCart) It would make sense to move forward to make Jamroom conquer all and be the best solution.

My website is as close as I can get to a non profit and im turned away from adding monthly fees to my expenses where ever I can avoid them.

But the FoxyCart experience is a great one. It does what its supposed to. Had great functionality. However in my opinion its potentially going to drive away Jamroom existing and new customers if they don't/can't use it and can not find an alternative. They will have to find an alternative way to run their site with out using FoxyCart or choosing other media platform all together.

I cant say that theres really much to hate about the FoxyCart Services. In fact they are great! And their $20 a month fees are not too expensive for a large commercial site. However a good customer base Is the amature and non-profit websites running Jamroom and these customers do buy a lot of modules, however honestly some can not afford to use this kind of shopping system. I believe an alternative is deffinatly needed and keeping foxycart as an option for folks running large commercial websites will insure success for different clients needs running Jamroom.

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Ultrabubble

< Previous1234Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules