is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help:
Jamroom 5 and FoxyCart
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/02/13 07:18 

ukdenny:
There is also another scenario, revert to JR4.
In my business experience…..
When you do not address the customers requirements - you invariably loose the customer

Agree 100% - a "customer" means you are running (or trying to run) a business. The customer does not care how much you are spending each month - only that they get the service they want.

- Brian

Kim

Posted: 08/02/13 09:23 
To Brian, one 2 one:-)
I don't think you understood what my complaint is, so I'll say it another way.
It's NOT the $15 a month! It is NOT.
It's the principle of not being asked if I was prepared to go that road. I bought your product on good faith & the price (JR4) I was asked to. I paid for support. I even changed my hosting to your support/special Jamroom hosting. We have spent & do spend money. Even the module for payments for JR4 & now not working for JR5.
The point is that I, as your customer, was not asked if I was willing to take this extra payment on.
You did for what you though was best & 'bravo' to you. I would of done the same for what I thought was best for my business & my customers. I would have informed my customers that if we were to continue with JR5 it would have an extra added cost.
We paid for a Payment pack which is now obsolete - so, Brian we are not expecting to run a business for FREE.
I used to pay for servers in Hong Kong $2000 a month, but I knew I had to beforehand.
The point of it all here is that in the JR5 we cannot use it unless we pay the tarriff - a tarrif that YOUR customers cannot avoid, if, they do not want to lose all their hard work & previous investment.
Anyway, I can talk till I'm blue in the face - I really don't believe you care.
Foxycart is great, it's just being forced to use it. A similar catch of ''Download for FREE''. Yeh, & when you download you gotta pay for it to work. But there is no lying there because the ''download'' was FREE.
No more - this is tyring. All the Best Brian.

Dazed

Posted: 08/02/13 10:41 
I have been reading this thread and I am a bit confused. I have had my site for several years. When I started, everything was out of pocket expenses. At that time I think I spent $250 for an Oinkba Skin as well as having some modules developed and I bought a lot of Nate's flash players over the years. Then add hosting on top of it. End result, a lot of outgoing money. Also since when did any business advise us of pricing changes?

As your site grows, your hosting gets more expensive. Shared hosting will not allow you to use the amount of cpu usage that a larger JR site will eat up. My point to all of this? If you are worried about $15 now, be it principle or just cash flow, what are you going to do when your site grows and you have to upgrade servers?

FoxyCart has an extended test period where they do not charge a monthly fee. Test it out a few months and try and get some sales. Put a PayPal Donate button on your site. If you are counting on site ads to generate revenue, good luck. Do you click ads? You really need to think outside the box. We sell t-shirts and some other stuff. If I spend $500 on shirts, I may make $200-$400. That pays for one to two months of my fees.

I am actually excited about FoxyCart because I have people that will not use paypal. I was paying $120 a year just for a PO Box. I know this fee comes as a shock to most but in all seriousness, it is just another price you have to pay to do business. Also I hope you guys are using this as a write off expense also.

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/02/13 12:29 
You said this:

Kim:

If there is no solution to the Foxycart problem we will be forced to shut down

Now this..

Kim:

It's NOT the $15 a month! It is NOT.

I'm not sure which it is.

Quote:

The point is that I, as your customer, was not asked if I was willing to take this extra payment on.

I will take 100% full responsibility for this - contact us at support [at] jamroom [dot] net and we can refund your Super Pack purchase.

Thanks!

- Brian

Kim

Posted: 08/02/13 12:55 
This is the last I will say about the pointless going-ons.
Taking part quotes from what I said is not the full picture but it doesn't matter.
I repeat that Foxycart is good & never said it wasn't.

Your last sentence of offering a refund has softened my anger of not having a choice.
I don't want it & I will continue.
Time to move on & 'Let It Be'.

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 08/02/13 16:40 

Kim:
Taking part quotes from what I said is not the full picture but it doesn't matter.

The way I read it, taking part quotes is the polite way of extending a helpful hand in the face of insurmountable adversity. The alternative would be to read the picture in full, which is just laughable.

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

Ultrabubble create things.
Kim

Posted: 08/03/13 00:00 
Exactly SteveX or MalcolmX or XXX - It's the WAY ''YOU'' read it - & if your interpretation of things is how YOUR calculator works & all this biz from another Planet & according to your skills, Dude you lack a lot of human love. Perhaps you were not breast fed.
Let It Be.

b360

Posted: 08/03/13 03:00 
I don't know much about FoxyCart to be honest. This is my first experience with them. I wrote the company (FoxyCart) about this issue long before these posts. They care about how we feel on this issue and are watching and giving this topic some thought.

Like some of you I am also disappointed at the additional charges per month faced with Jamrooms decision to use them. I run multiple websites, online radio stations, and have multiple servers and fees. I have to avoid additional costs. I have enough to recoup each month.

Like many of you I prefer PayPal for micro sales resulting in no monthly payment and a .10 cent transaction fee. Im not concerned with multiple payment options outside of PayPals available ones because my history with my sites is that my users just don't use them. So to proceed at this time with micro sales with PayPal inside foxycart (as this is the only option) I would be charged a $20 service fee for services I do not want and will not be using.

I can see Brians point however the decision to use FoxyCart has solved tons of intergration in one swoop at the cost of Jamroom customers whom at the present time have to use this system.

However its not a solution for people whom are smart enough to sell music only using micro sales. Unless your selling over 30 songs a day 365 days a year. You will be loosing your money to pay for hosting and ecommerce.

If this is not something your able to compete with starting out or building up your Jamroom site then eather you can not offer to sell songs, or your going to loose your money. that's saying your paying at least $30 for a VPS and $20 to use FoxyCart.

Even a corperation would see this is not a solution as anything that takes a loss is a loss and the product will be dropped.

I would have to say id be more willing to donate my money to a developer who can bring in the PayPal API properly to Jamroom. Then I could move forward in a positive sales direction myself and only offer micro sales with PayPal, that way the folks whom want the benefits of this FoxyCart system could use it. And those wanting PayPal Micro Sales could choose that option. Im my opinion it feels like FoxyCart is taxing me for a really high service fee to use a shopping cart system that was already developed in previous Jamroom versions. That said soley because I do not want or need multiple payment systems at all other then PayPal.

FoxyCart has no solution for micro sales directly and in my case I need someone to develop a PayPal micro sales here as a solution.

Instead of people getting mad at Jamroom for going with FoxyCart I think to a point your all wrong and wasting your time. FoxyCart was a smart move for a lot of reasons. To solve everyones problems if your not going to use FoxyCart is to get the developers on deck to develop the solution! Create a PayPal Intergration to Jamroom to allow micro sales. Until then the only solution you have is the one provided at this time.

Last edited by b360 on 08/03/13 03:22; edited 1 time in total
Michael
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/03/13 03:11 

b360:
I would have to say id be more willing to donate my money to a developer who can bring in the PayPal API properly to Jamroom.

I think this is a fantastically positive thing to say. Thank you b360. Smile

I had a thought about something similar. A 'bounty' type system where users who wanted something built, but not necessarily exclusively for themselves could throw money in a pot to entice developers.

Something like:
* everyone who puts money in before it gets developed gets a copy of the module when its done.
* the module creator can then put the module in the marketplace for whatever they want to sell it for.

I think it would be a good way to help the 3rd party developers know what to build. Because it can really suck if you spend 3 months working on a module that you think will be popular, then only sell 5 copies and have to continue to support it.

Would that type of system be something you would like to see on jamroom.net?

b360

Posted: 08/03/13 03:27 

Michael:

Would that type of system be something you would like to see on jamroom.net?

Absolutely. I have $200 or 4-5 sales here ready to donate should you get this option official with Jamroom.net and im sure others would help. This could help Jamroom in many ways.

Intro2Music

Posted: 08/03/13 12:19 
A good idea, Michael. I vote 'Yes'

Mick

Posted: 08/05/13 11:36 
After purchasing the JR5 Bundle and then paying for the import from JR4 to JR5 I have now reverted back to JR4. It's no good moaning about the ups and downs of Jamroom. I am not prepared to payout an extra $20 a month when I don't have to. My JR4 has many modules from third party developers and I am happy with it. JR5 has other functions that I like but until a solution is found for Paypal micro payments I will stick with JR4 and write off to a bad experience the costs incurred so far with JR5.
I must add however that the import from JR4 to JR5 conducted by Paul Asher was very professional and conducted in a timely manner, just a pity I was unaware that Foxycart was the only payment system.

b360

Posted: 08/11/13 06:39 
http://www.opencart.com/

OpenCart is a turn-key ready "out of the box" shopping cart solution. You simply install, select your template, add products and you're ready to start accepting orders.

It has order management and multiple payment gateways already built in and it provides lifetime free support and free software updates.

• Open Source
• Documentation
• Unlimited Categories
• Unlimited Products
• Unlimited Manufacturers
• Templatable
• Multi-Language
• Multi-Currency
• Product Reviews
• Product Ratings
• Downloadable Products
• PCI Compliant
• Automatic Image Resizing
• Multiple Tax Rates
• Related Products
• Unlimited Information Pages
• Shipping Weight Calculation
• Discount Coupon System
• Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
• Unlimited Module Instance System
• Backup & Restore Tools
• Printable Invoices
• Sales Reports
• Error Logging

djmerlyn
Jamroom Ustad

Posted: 08/11/13 11:22 
For what its worth, fully integrated paypal would cost you $30/month to paypal plus transaction fees.

"more server and network power than any host, dedicated to your jamroom site"
Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/11/13 11:36 

djmerlyn:
For what its worth, fully integrated paypal would cost you $30/month to paypal plus transaction fees.

Good point DJ - I had forgot about the $30 per month charge for PayPal Pro. You could actually save money by using Foxycart instead, as they give you most of the advantages of PayPal pro (one touch billing, custom checkout forms) without having to be on PayPal Pro.

- Brian

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help

< Previous12345Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons