Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Documentation and How To's:
Making "audio" "soundcloud" profile defa
ouviste

Posted: 08/14/13 04:11 
How can I make the "audio" or "soundcloud" page the default profile page if the artist has files on it? But leave the timeline as it is now, if the artist has no sound files? Is this possible?

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
ouviste

Posted: 08/14/13 13:45 
Any ideas out there? When going to any music based site, the main artist profile page by default is the one with the music on it, I like the way JR4 was setup when it came to this, JR5 profiles look boring.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 08/14/13 17:10 
In the skin profile_index.tpl you can check if there are any audio files for the profile:

{if $profile_jrAudio_item_count > 0}
do this (redirect or show a jrCore_list of audio files)
{else}
show the timeline
{/if}

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

Ultrabubble create things.
ouviste

Posted: 08/14/13 17:42 
Awesome SteveX, thank you, but where exactly do I place that code on the template?

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 08/14/13 17:47 
You'd have to look at the template to see. There are two main sections, one for if it is the profile owner looking at the page, and another for if it is someone else.

It's pretty basic, so if you don't understand the html or the smarty, you'd need to get someone else to do it for you.

"Stranger from another planet, welcome to our hole. Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll"

ouviste

Posted: 08/14/13 18:02 
Is that the exact code I have to place on the template? Cause I did and saved it but I see this on the profile,

SteveX
Ultrabubble

Posted: 08/15/13 01:23 
You will definitely need to get someone else to do this for you then.

ouviste

Posted: 08/15/13 05:04 
Thanks SteveX, any idea Brian?

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/15/13 08:24 

ouviste:
Thanks SteveX, any idea Brian?

The "do this (redirect or show a jrCore_list of audio files)" is where you would place your HTML and smarty code.

If you are not familiar with HTML or Smarty, you want to do some reading - search for "learn HTML" in Google and make sure you know at least the basics of what you want to do, and to understand what you are doing. For smarty you can check it out here:

http://www.smarty.net/docs/en/

Without having a basic understanding of these things you are going to be stuck asking for cut-and-paste text for every little thing you want to do, which is not a good idea (since you don't understand why you are doing it) and it is not what the forum is designed for.

If you'd like help on customizing your site, let me know and we can hook you up with a designer.

Thanks!

- Brian

Dazed

Posted: 08/19/13 17:27 
excellent! Thanks all Smile

ouviste

Posted: 08/19/13 17:40 
Dazed, if you get it to work, could you possibly post a sample here? Not very good with codes Sad.

Dazed

Posted: 08/19/13 17:50 
I will try and take a look at it this week. What I am questioning is this. Some artists only want video while others want audio. Listeners may want a blog. You get the idea. So I debatrd on adding a custom form field to allow them to choose audio or timeline but then others may want something else. So there is no happy medium. I also do not want to make this difficult and just cause more bloat.

Now if Brian is reading this, you know that sort you just added? How do you feel about doing that with the menu tabs? Mr. Green Just let them drag the order?

ba9801

Posted: 08/27/13 07:31 

ouviste:
Dazed, if you get it to work, could you possibly post a sample here? Not very good with codes Sad.

I am a bit amazed that I have to agree with ouviste here.
Now I have been working with forums, Html and css for years. But when you ask for an EXAMPLE code they say go learn? A bit hard without any docs on the new version as JR5 to me looks like smf and mybb in build but works completely different and I am yet to find one of the designers/coders to give any examples to expedite our learning process???
Any example code for any question can lead designers a lot faster on the way than a simple answer like go learn smarty or html. I know html, I have looked at smarty but still ( for the life of me ) can't understand the calls and execution.
If we were provided ( ANYWHERE ) some real world/life examples it would make a lot of users understand how it is built but I am still yet to find any example with JR5 that shows anything.

So please provide us with the simplest edits so we can get our head around doing more edits as most people already know html, PHP but we need to know how your coding works, The calls and the execution.

phdemaret

Posted: 08/27/13 07:44 

ba9801:

I am a bit amazed that I have to agree with ouviste here.
Now I have been working with forums, Html and css for years. But when you ask for an EXAMPLE code they say go learn? A bit hard without any docs on the new version as JR5 to me looks like smf and mybb in build but works completely different and I am yet to find one of the designers/coders to give any examples to expedite our learning process???
Any example code for any question can lead designers a lot faster on the way than a simple answer like go learn smarty or html. I know html, I have looked at smarty but still ( for the life of me ) can't understand the calls and execution.
If we were provided ( ANYWHERE ) some real world/life examples it would make a lot of users understand how it is built but I am still yet to find any example with JR5 that shows anything.

So please provide us with the simplest edits so we can get our head around doing more edits as most people already know html, PHP but we need to know how your coding works, The calls and the execution.

+1
Me too i think the call and execution you make stay a little mistery, even after 20 years of coding on multiple plateform...
JR5 is a GREAT product, but... a small technical documentation will be a ++++++ !
Ph.

Michael
Jamroom Team

Posted: 08/27/13 20:36 
The documentation is coming. A lot has been done. Just need to get jamroom.net moved over to running JR5 and it will all come online.

As for how stuff works, heres a quick overview:
* pretty much everything is a module.
* modules are stored in the /modules/ folder

Things that are not modules are skins or data.

Data you wont be fiddling with, so making the site look and work how you want it to work will probably be done via a skin or a module.

The skins use smarty3. Smarty is like HTML except it also allows you to do server side includes and run functions.

One example of one of those functions is:

Code
{jrCore_include template="header.tpl"}

You will see this at the top of the index.tpl file in the jrElastic skins folder. jrElastic is the default skin.
/skins/jrElastic/index.tpl

Start from here to understand skins. The code above includes a separate file (the header.tpl file) into index.tpl so you can re-use that code without having to re-write and update in many locations.

Styling of the HTML elements is done the same as any .html file would be, ie: with css and style sheets.

Take a look at how the existing skins are done to understand what is going on.

If no module is assigned to a particular URL, then creating a .tpl file with that name will show that page, eg:
http://your-site.com/hello_there_everybody

will look for the template hello_there_everybody.tpl and display whatever is in that file.

So when steve posted his example of:

Code
{if $profile_jrAudio_item_count > 0}
{else}
show the timeline
{/if}

The part that read, do this (redirect or show a jrCore_list of audio files) else show the timeline was assuming that the reader understood that code syntax.

Code

{if $something}
// put something in here
{else}
// otherwise do this
{/if}

Is quite a common structure. hence if that is not understood, the scope of trying to explain much further could require a lot of effort.

Docs will be coming shortly. Smile

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
User Documentation and How To's

12Next >

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons