Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help:
folderĀ“s names
cabaz777

Posted: 09/14/03 09:28 
Hi Brian, this is just a suggestion:

It should be a good idea to give the users and band folders a custom name instead of 1,2,3.....
Why?: Using folder names as this will allow admin and users to have a url like www.domain.com/jamroom/bands/myband instead of bands/1 so you can add the free redirection script that uses wildcards DNS to have myband.domain.com ponting to the bands folder giving the admin a professional look when giving a 3rd party service.

Surely, you have this free script, if not let me know and I will send it to you. Is a GPL one. Requeriments: Hosting server must allow wildcards DNS

By the way, Do admin need to add folders manually when the 10 default ones are used?

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/14/03 10:26 
cabaz,

Thanks for the suggestion. Initially I HAD started with the band name as the sub folder, but unfortunately not all of the chartacters that a band could use in its name are valid file system characters. I DO have a function that will strip the wierd characters from the band name for its use, but ended up going with the band ID as a directory.

couldn't you have the "myband.domain.com" just point to the bands folder even though it is a number? or for some reason does the directory the DNS wildcard points to have to be the same name as the DNS entry?

As for the folders - no, Jamroom will create them for you UNLESS you are running in PHP Safe Mode, then you will need to manually add them.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

cabaz777

Posted: 09/14/03 13:54 
hi

the script i have running redirects to a folder containing specific folders inside, as a example

mydomain.com/folder1/folder2/myband

so the script located as index.php do the foll:
when someone visits myband.mydomain.com it redirects the visitor to mydomain/folder1/folder2/myband. If no folder exists, it redirects to any other file (like mydomain.com/main.html)

But they need the same folder or file name. Got it?

Of course we can add a subdomain, that redirects to a specific folder/file, but it needs to be done manually.

keep in touch

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons
• Jamroom Modules