Jamroom Logo Jamroom 5 Core
is now Open Source!
User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help:
a few question before i download
limpduck

Posted: 09/17/03 03:46 
hi just a couple of q's before i use your nice little program

1) is it easy to edit or alter the way a user signs up?
for eg, i want the user database to contain around 10 areas, covering various options, also can i have a search area for people to search this datbase so they can look for bands/artists?

2) everytime some one uploads a song/album i would also like them to enter details into another 'project' database with about 5-7 options, i would also like this to be searchable.

3) i would also like the admin to be able to link to various songs, from a news style section

are these allready in the program? will they be easy to implement?
thanks
dave

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/17/03 05:44 
Dave, thanks for writing - let me answer these one at a time...

limpduck:

1) is it easy to edit or alter the way a user signs up?
for eg, i want the user database to contain around 10 areas, covering various options, also can i have a search area for people to search this datbase so they can look for bands/artists?

Signing up users will get a lot eaasier with the Jamroom signup system, which I hope to have in beta form in the next 1-2 weeks or so. Currently I do not have a search engine in Jamroom, but it IS on the to do list. I'm thinking probably about 1 month or so away?

Currently you can use the "rank.php" script to create a master index of bands/songs, alphabetized, so you can provide a sort of "yelow pages" for your bands.

Let me know the "10 areas" you want the User Database to cover and I can let you know if Jamroom has the info.

limpduck:

2) everytime some one uploads a song/album i would also like them to enter details into another 'project' database with about 5-7 options, i would also like this to be searchable.

This would require a complete custom modification of Jamroom's entire database abstraction layer, and most likley wont happen - however, if you are using mysql you can look into "replication" - http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Replication.html
which can basically duplicate Jamroom's tables for you and keep them in-sync together.

limpduck:

3) i would also like the admin to be able to link to various songs, from a news style section

Jamroom has built in "messages" (news) and you can put HTML links in there if you want, just link to the "play.php" script and you can have it do most anything you want. Note that with Jamroom 1.1b2 there are several new things you can do with the play.php script, so I will also be putting a users guide online on using the features of play.php.

I hope this helps!

- Brian

limpduck

Posted: 09/17/03 07:27 
hi thanks for the reply, just another question when a user signs up do they get there own kind of webpage? ie somthing like www.musicstuff.com/imarealcoolband cause im thinking about the search section and was thinking if you search with different criteria (set out when the user signs up), so searching for music type would bring up a list of users/bands with a link to that page.

basicly the user info i want (not confermed as of yet) is

user name/or band
contact: email and phone if they want it (maybe just have a large field so they can enter what they want)
homepage links
style of music/instrument
samples/songs they have done
software
picture
curent projects/news (not sure about this as it would need to store alot of info and will need to be regually updated, i may try to intergrate a some kind of small cms if it not possible)

thats 9 but some may be added or taken away

what ar your thoughts?
thanks alot
dave

also sorry im sure i read this somwhere but can a band choose its own template when signing up?

Brian
Jamroom Team

Posted: 09/17/03 08:10 
Thanks for writing back Dave - see my comments inline below:

limpduck:
hi thanks for the reply, just another question when a user signs up do they get there own kind of webpage? ie somthing like www.musicstuff.com/imarealcoolband

Yes - they do get their own section - it ends up being jamroom/bands/<band id> - however you can use the JRS (Jamroom Ranking System) to generate a "master index" page with links to all of your bands by name, genre, etc. There is good documentation for the JRS in the Documentation section here.

limpduck:

cause im thinking about the search section and was thinking if you search with different criteria (set out when the user signs up), so searching for music type would bring up a list of users/bands with a link to that page.

When I implement the Search feature you will be able to search on almost anything, which will then bring up a list...

limpduck:

basicly the user info i want (not confermed as of yet) is

user name/or band
contact: email and phone if they want it (maybe just have a large field so they can enter what they want)
homepage links
style of music/instrument
samples/songs they have done
software
picture
curent projects/news (not sure about this as it would need to store alot of info and will need to be regually updated, i may try to intergrate a some kind of small cms if it not possible)

thats 9 but some may be added or taken away

what ar your thoughts?
thanks alot
dave

also sorry im sure i read this somwhere but can a band choose its own template when signing up?

Currently Jamroom stores (per band) :

band name
band members
band location
band story
band image
band theme (yes - each band gets to choose their own HTML theme)
band disk quota

PLUS each band gets their own "messages" (basically a blog-like CMS) where they can post news to their website.

ALSO, each band can have multiple users who each have this info:

user nicknamd
user full name
user web site
user instant messenger number

All of the user fields are just text fields and can contain anything you want

There is a lot of configurability in Jamroom, so it can probably be used for what you are thinking about. I would recommend downloading it and trying it out to see what it can do for you.

Hope this helps!

- Brian

User Support Forum Archive (Read Only)
Jamroom Help

Solutions
• Social Media Platform
• Social Networking Software
• Musician Website Manager
• Community Builder
Products
• Jamroom Core
• Jamroom Addons