Follow up about Audio Genres imported

iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
Hi Steve, so just wanted to follow up from this:https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/forum/jamroom-developers/6614/ujcategories

Wanted to get a better understanding. I have all my audio imported from the JR4 side. They have existing values in the audio_genre field.

I have recreated these values (in pulldown format) in the audio form designer. Meaning, the value exists in the database, and displays on the item details page. But if the artist goes to edit that audio, they are presented with a pull-down for the audio_genre field and prompted to re-select the audio genre.

If they do that, select from the pulldown, then save - I noticed the ujCategories pics up the category.

So, could the problem be that I've recreated the method of entering that value as a pull down (instead of a text)?

Or, is the root cause of the problem that ujCategories doesn't pickup that field from imported audio on the JR4 side.

If the latter, can anything be done about that? I would really see this module useful on my site, as I've got maybe 16 audio genres and hundreds of audio files I'd like to linkify the audio_genre field.

Last piece, If you want to try to support this using ujTogether we could coordinate that. I'm at bcabalic at gmail dot com. I'm on San Francisco time -0800. Thank you kindly!

Brian
updated by @ilovehousemusic: 04/13/17 08:22:29AM
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
10 years ago
2,583 posts
It being imported audio shouldn't make any difference, but... maybe it does.

Check that the artists audio_genre looks correct in the database, and that the module is named jrAudio (you can change that by changing the module name in the function if you need to).

Why is it that you are getting the artists to re-select the genre? Is there something wrong with their existing genre? Is there any difference between the imported value in the audio_genre field and the new value after reselecting?

Do the categories not appear in the categories menu on the site? Or is it that the auto linkify isn't working? Or both?

If it is just the linkify, I;ve only checked that for jrElastic - which skin are you using? A link to the page would be useful.

I'm not in a place where I can talk easily today, but I am around so I'm sure we can get this sorted out for you.

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
Responses:

jrAudio module name has not been changed.

In my previous JR4 site, the values existed as a pull down also (song_genre i believe). So the behaviuor is for the user to add a song, then select the value from a pull down. When migrated, they only come over as that single text value. So, on the JR5 side, I mimic the same look of how they select genre by adding the pulldown again. There could be a slight difference now that I think about it, some of the values might have been capitalized (eg "Deep" instead of "deep")

The categories appear on the JR5 site, but only if I edit the audio, reselect the genre, and save. OR upload a new audio file. The linkify works, but only for the categories that ujCategories detects - in this scenario (so far) it's just the ones that have been new audio, or audio where I have re-selected the audio_genre. Hope that make sense.

I am using jrMediaPro - I can send you the skin if you like. Assuming that's OK, I dont see why not if you're developing modules for JR.

No problem about availability - I just wanted to get that back on my radar.

Everyone here at Jamroom has a been a big help answering all my questions and fixing bugs, So I'm just happy that the workflow on JR5 is moving much faster then when I was on JR4!

Talk soon,
Brian
updated by @ilovehousemusic: 02/27/14 08:26:35AM
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
Sucks you can't add attachments in forum replies. But here's what I'm seeing.

The 1 "tech" category is from an audio file that I editted and selected from the pulldown mentioned.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/118859663@N07/12816724175/
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
10 years ago
2,583 posts
iLoveHouseMusic:Sucks you can't add attachments in forum replies.

You can! You need to post the reply, and then edit it - the attachment button appears on the update form.

It's likely that there is a bug in the categories links in the acp unless it is a Main Category Set (accessed at /categories) - I have noticed that with using categories in magic views. Is it only Tech which appears in the categories menu on the front end, or do all categories appear there?

iLoveHouseMusic:In my previous JR4 site, the values existed as a pull down also (song_genre i believe)
But the field is definitely created in jr5 as audio_genre? Is there also an audio_genre_url in a freshly imported audio?

Could be that audio_genre_url is not being created on import, only when the item is updated. Can you check that in the db on an un-updated audio? Does the value for audio_genre_url look ok?

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)

updated by @ultrajam: 02/27/14 09:03:11AM
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
I need to step away for a few hours but I will check that for you!
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
On the front end, it linkify any audio_genre (so tech, funky, deep, soulful, etc). However, when I click on them, it doesn't take me to another page with those listings.

For instance, it just stays on /audio/categories/

It doesn't go to /audio/categories/tech
or /audio/categories/deep

Should it?

There doesn't appear to be a listing at all for audio_genre_url on imported tracks. See attached. Let me try a fresh track...standby
updated by @ilovehousemusic: 02/27/14 12:56:02PM
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
A newly uploaded audio file will create the category URL, but no data in the page.
updated by @ilovehousemusic: 02/27/14 01:03:58PM
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
A newly uploaded audio DOES contain the audio_genre_url field. So maybe that's the problem? or part of it?
updated by @ilovehousemusic: 02/27/14 01:08:12PM
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
I'm signing off for a bit - but i'll check this thread again tomorrow. Let me know what you think!
Brian
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
10 years ago
2,583 posts
Quote: There doesn't appear to be a listing at all for audio_genre_url on imported tracks.
Yes, that will be it. If an audio_genre exists, an audio_genre_url is needed and should probably have been created during the import. jrAudio will make the audio_genre_url from the audio_genre on audio create save and on audio update save, so there is never an audio_genre without an audio_genre_url. I'll let Paul know that it isn't happening.

Quote: A newly uploaded audio file will create the category URL, but no data in the page.
That must be soemthing else then, possibly the skin, although it could also be due to the missing category urls in other categories, not sure on that.

--
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
Do you think he would be able to run a SQL update on my site's audio? He was the one that did my JR4 import.

OK maybe if we get that fixed things will look better. I'll wait to hear back.
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
Do you need a copy of MediaPro?
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
I also noticed that the Genre rankings on the side_Music.tpl and side_charts.tpl of jrMediaPro breaks when I activate the ujCategories module. I'm assuming you want this module working for as many skins as possible. I'm willing to help out just let me know! =)

I have some time today to shoot a YouTube video for you to show you what I've got going on.

Thanks!
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
10 years ago
2,583 posts
It needs to work with as many category setups as possible. Audio genres is not it's focus at all, and the genre function is only included as an easy example (because the audio_genre_url field exists already), specifically for jrElastic. If there are already audio genres in MediaPro, why do you need ujCategories to make them again - could it be that which is making this not work for you?

Don't worry about a youtube video, I don't really have the bandwidth to watch them without endless buffering.

--
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
Well, that's a good point. I suppose I would just have to manually linkify the Audio_genre field... and maybe a separate ranking page for each for the genres (eg www.domain.com/funky) which is how I had it on my JR4 site.

Did I just say "ranking"??
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
10 years ago
2,583 posts
Yep, ujCategories won't be helpful with that.

It creates a category section (and all the pages) at a url like www.domain.com/funky using the main category set.

Or a category section (and all the pages) at www.domain.com/funky where you put the smarty function into a template named funky and have a category set named funky.

Or a category section for any module (eg audio at www.domain.com/audio/funky)

You can create as many sets as you like, but only one magic view per module and only one main category set.

It's really fast to use, it takes about 2 minutes for each different category set.

--

updated by @ultrajam: 03/01/14 03:38:22AM
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
No problem - I understand. What I mean is - if someone tries to use your module w/ jrMediaPro the will likely experience the same issue with how that skin uses it's genre selector. Worth a look at some point.

Cheers!
iLoveHouseMusic
iLoveHouseMusic
@ilovehousemusic
10 years ago
517 posts
Hey @SteveX - just as a follow up, I started another Jamroom site from scratch and I think the ujCategories module will play will with it since I have zero audio uploaded and we can get this tested. Can I release the license from my current site and xfer it over to the new site?
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
10 years ago
2,583 posts
Yes, just click the "release license" button. That will releae all licenses on the site.

Or delete the module to release the license and reinstall on the new site.

--

updated by @ultrajam: 03/09/14 03:23:59AM

Tags