Not working right

Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
8 years ago
926 posts
When I type location or search Corner Brook, NL, Canada it only uses the first word Corner and gives me the wrong location.

There used to be a drop down list showing as you typed. So Corner Brook, NL, Canada was an option I could click but not anymore.

Also, as admin I can see Google Maps embed as an option in the editor but if I log in as a normal member the option is unavailable even though it is enabled for all quotas.

Is anyone else seeing these problems? Could it be settings?

--

Ken Rich
indiegospel.net

updated by @ken-rich: 06/04/16 09:15:29AM
Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
8 years ago
926 posts
Hi Steve,

I've been through the docs and I've checked my key ay Google but I can't get it working in the editor embed.

It works in events where you set it up for me along time ago.

However, in the embed tool I see the tab, everything appears to be there but it doesn't work right.

Is there anything you can do to help me get this working?

--

Ken Rich
indiegospel.net
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
8 years ago
2,583 posts
Hi Ken

Initial test of the embed seems to be working:
A location:
http://xdev4.ultrajam.co.uk/stevex/blog/8/embed-map-test

A search:
http://xdev4.ultrajam.co.uk/stevex/page/1/map-embed-on-page-test

Do you have a link to a page where the embed is failing? Are you entering a search or location that Google can actually respond to?

Thanks

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)

updated by @ultrajam: 06/06/16 06:12:04AM
Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
8 years ago
926 posts
Hi Steve,

I can get it to show HappyRaft too, but it is an invalid test for the problem I am reporting. It's all one word - HappyRaft.

Try displaying Corner Brook, NL, Canada - it won't work. Instead, it will take just the first word "Corner" and go to the wrong location, a corner bakery that is not even in the same country.

Not only that, the drop down list of names doesn't show when typing like it used to.

Here is what putting Corner Brook in the location yields - http://kenrich.me/page/249/test-map

My guess is, it's only using the first word. So a single word location like let's say Toronto should work, but a double word location like Corner Brook obviously doesn't.

--

Ken Rich
indiegospel.net

updated by @ken-rich: 06/06/16 06:25:39AM
Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
8 years ago
926 posts
Hi Steve,

It is a location or search that Google can actually respond to because if I go over to my events section where you installed Google Maps in the form (thanks) as soon as I start typing Corner Brook it shows Corner Brook, NL, Canada in the drop down list. I can click it. Then it will properly display the map. Same on the Google site.

Not so in my editor embed of Google Maps.

--

Ken Rich
indiegospel.net

updated by @ken-rich: 06/06/16 06:30:01AM
Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
8 years ago
926 posts
If this is any help, the actual code that the editor is using is:

[jrEmbed module="ujGoogleMaps" mode="place" location="Corner Brook, NL, Canada" zoom="18" maptype="roadmap" width="100%" height="300" ]

--

Ken Rich
indiegospel.net
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
8 years ago
2,583 posts
Thanks for that Ken, I can see the problem.

The address needs the spaces to be replaced by a +

I'm not sure if it is the Google Embed API, TinyMCE or Jamroom which has changed but I will look into finding a fix soon.

Meantime you can get that working by adding the + manually:
[jrEmbed module="ujGoogleMaps" mode="place" location="Corner+Brook,+NL,+Canada" zoom="18" maptype="roadmap" width="100%" height="300" ]
http://xdev4.ultrajam.co.uk/stevex/page/3/corner-brook-map-test

The embed doesn't have a preview or searchahead dropdown on the field. You need to use the main googlemaps form field for that as it uses a different API with those features.

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)

updated by @ultrajam: 06/06/16 06:59:48AM
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
8 years ago
2,583 posts
This is happening due to a change in the latest jrEmbed update to 1.3.8

I've posted a query on the developers forum here:
https://www.jamroom.net/the-jamroom-network/forum/jamroom-developers/40642/jrembed-136-to-137-update-breaks-parameter-value-into-array

--
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
8 years ago
2,583 posts
Hi Ken

Brian has this fixed for the next version of jrEmbed.

Thanks for letting me know about it :)

--
Ken Rich
Ken Rich
@ken-rich
8 years ago
926 posts
Awesome. Man, I hate being the one finding stuff because then I'm questioning whether I screwed something up and end up second guessing myself - lol. Good to see I wasn't wasting your time.

--

Ken Rich
indiegospel.net
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
8 years ago
2,583 posts
I know that feeling as well!

Currently, the sites I work on daily don't use maps at all, so it would have taken some time for me to spot that something was breaking. So thanks again for noticing the problem and posting about it so quickly. :)

--

Tags