alt=
@serin
10 years ago
38 posts
Hello I've tried to see your skype module in action but I can't seem to be able to put it right on prolife header.tpl

This is my code. Is it right?

<div class="col4 last">
                <div class="profile_actions">
                 {ujSkype_button skype_name="{$profile_ujSkype_skype_name}" type="icon+text" size="small" functions="call"}
                {jrCore_module_function function="jrFollower_button" profile_id=$_profile_id title="Follow This Profile"}
                {jrCore_item_update_button module="jrProfile" view="settings/profile_id=`$_profile_id`" profile_id=$_profile_id item_id=$_profile_id title="Update Profile"}

{if jrUser_is_admin()}
                    {jrCore_item_create_button module="jrProfile" view="create" profile_id=$_profile_id title="Create new Profile"}
                {/if}

{if jrUser_is_master()}
                    {jrCore_item_delete_button module="jrProfile" view="delete_save" profile_id=$_profile_id item_id=$_profile_id title="Delete this Profile" prompt="Are you sure you want to delete this profile?"}
                {/if}

</div> 

updated by @serin: 03/13/14 07:18:17AM
alt=
@serin
10 years ago
38 posts
Ok it was a cache issue.

But i tested with 2 users and we couldn't get the skype status right. It always said "offline"
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
10 years ago
2,583 posts
Have you set skype to show your online status? If not you will always show as offline.

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
10 years ago
2,583 posts
On a Mac you do that in the Skype app:
Preferences > Privacy > Show my status on the web

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
alt=
@serin
10 years ago
38 posts
Oh didn't knew skype had that! Thanks it works great! Hopefully the stable version will be ready soon, so I can buy it
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
10 years ago
2,583 posts
Glad it's working for you. I'm just leaving it the beta channel until a few more people have installed it, but it seems pretty stable.

It's going to remain a free module though, even when out of beta.

--
alt=
@serin
10 years ago
38 posts
I see. Then I'll cerntainly buy the Lifestream so I can support you! Thanks for the work and hopefully you will make more :)
updated by @serin: 03/13/14 11:13:59AM
Isleander
Isleander
@isleander
10 years ago
545 posts
The information on using the Skype module suggests to "Enter the user id who you want to use Skype with." This only appears to be available to Admins., and I am assuming I have to input the user ids of people I would like to use Skype with, not my own.

Where on user profiles should this be - do not see it?

How do other users use this module, or are thy not able to?

Thank you.
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
10 years ago
2,583 posts
It should allow you to put your skype button on a page, and then it will appear to the user_ids specified in config, even if they are not on quota which allows skype. So basically a temporary override - you wnat a particular user to skype you temporarily, just add their id into the collaborators config field.

--
Isleander
Isleander
@isleander
10 years ago
545 posts
Quote:
"put your skype button on a page"

I have already activated the Module and allowed quotas - yet no button appears on any user profiles, including my own.

Quote:
temporary override (?)

How does this actually work? It's not at all clear.
updated by @isleander: 12/19/14 04:35:58AM
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
10 years ago
2,583 posts
Quote: How does this actually work? It's not at all clear.
You put a user id in the box and save, and then they can see your skype button.

But it sounds like your skype button doesn't even appear to you. So,

1. Have you followed the instructions on this page?:
https://www.jamroom.net/ultrajam/documentation/modules/1546/skype

2. Have you entered your skype id correctly?

3. Have you set your Skype privacy settings to show your status publicly?

--
Isleander
Isleander
@isleander
10 years ago
545 posts
Seems very complicated if I have to add code to templates to make it work.
I was expecting it to just work having installed it.

Quote:
2. Have you entered your skype id correctly?
3. Have you set your Skype privacy settings to show your status publicly?

Yes to both above.
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
10 years ago
2,583 posts
The you just need to add the code to your templates wherever you need your skype buttons to appear.

--
Isleander
Isleander
@isleander
10 years ago
545 posts
ok
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
2 years ago
694 posts
Where do you recommend displaying skype buttons?

Can you show example screenshots of how we can expect them to look on a profile page?

It is hard to visualise how this is intended to work for all parties in a network (Admin and other).

Is it possible for the module to have a default display position on all profiles that correspond to each skype ID that is entered?

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)

updated by @researchcooperative: 02/02/22 12:29:56AM
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
2 years ago
2,583 posts
It depends on the layout of your site, it was originally used in the sidebar of a support profile page.

I don't have any screenshots - this module hasn't been in use for 8 years or so. It may not be in a working state.

It wasn't intended to be used on all profiles, but it does depend on your network.

Yes, but you would have to check each skype name in your smarty template. Probably easier to vary the position by quota rather than smarty name.

--
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
2 years ago
694 posts
Thanks.

Actually, I'm quite happy with the JR chatroom as it is. We don't really need to tangle with the outside providers.

Perhaps a text to audio (machine talking) plugin might be good as usability support, if it is possible. Just a thought.

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
2 years ago
2,583 posts
Text to audio would be a plugin forr the browser rather than a website function.

Safari has that built in, there are extensions for other browsers - ReadAloud and TTS Reader were recently suggested to a colleague as good options.

--
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
2 years ago
694 posts
The DeepL translation tool that I often use to handle Japanese work mails has a nice built in read aloud function.

I'll definitely check those extensions. Thanks for all.

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto

Tags