live streaming

soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
i know this is a huuuuge request
(and would likely require a single dedicated api.jamroom type server)
or could 1 of the existing (like youtube) live stream apis be supported to stream (and optionaly keep the live stream available after stream) live content to the site?
this would be so helpful for all my sites but for band type sites it could be a real game changer.

--
soaringeagle
head dreadhead at dreadlocks site
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities

updated by @soaringeagle: 07/26/17 07:47:41AM
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,697 posts
you can use this software:
https://obsproject.com/

To stream live to youtube. Then can probably use the youtube module to show the video on your profile.

Not sure if youtube allows embedding of currently streaming videos.... might work.
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
yea was using that for streaming to fb and you can embed that in posts
you might be able to embed or use the live yt links ..havent tried
just thought it would be awesome if you could use the same server calls from obs to stream direct to the sites
you can set obs up with custom services instead of 1 of the predefined ones (yt fb etc)
i figured it was a long shot and probably easier to just use existing services somehow
but i also know jr is flexible enough to be able to somehow make it work direct
unless it required a jr side api
i thought maybe that was all taken care of n the obs side since that functions as a streaming server

--
soaringeagle
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,697 posts
jamroom runs on apache so is delivered over http but the streaming stuff uses a different protocol. If you look at
PREFERENCES -> STREAM you can see the urls it goes to, they look like this:
rtmp://a.rtmp.youtube.com/live2
so the server would need to be running whatever system 'rtmp' is to receive the stream.
alt=
Lunar54
@lunar54
7 years ago
10 posts
nginx&rtmp you can run your own stream server even on a Raspberry Pi then push your stream to whoever
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,697 posts
yeah, might be possible. Still think using youtube to receive the stream, and host the video, then embed the youtube via Embedded Media Module into whereever you want on your jamroom site seams easiest.
alt=
Lunar54
@lunar54
7 years ago
10 posts
Yes hosted service is easier but if you want 100% control of ads then you need to run your own. depending on desktop could even be done in virtualbox and obs.
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
kinda why i thought streamming from a centralized service like a jr stream server
so be like a monthly service fee or a per data streammed fee type thing (if you were using alotta streams)

--
soaringeagle
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
ive built my own servers long ago just for running net radio back in the day..
didn't take a real powerful server r anything but that wasnt vid

--
soaringeagle
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,697 posts
The thing with youtube is they have servers all over the place. Closer you are to the receiver server, the better your upload results are going to be.

I don't think we will be setting up a realtime streaming network anytime soon, but that doesn't mean you can't if you want to.
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
thats true... knew it was a long shot and a big project ..but when it popped to mind i thought it would be a absolutely awesome tool for certain sites. sites that have live events , do live lessons or shows..could have a wide range of uses

ah well no need for further discussion

--
soaringeagle
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,697 posts
totally agree, its a great idea for those that need it.
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
keep it in mind for jr version 8 9 or 10..somewhere way down the road when jr has really advanced (and hired a few more folks)
i'm blown away but how few of you do so much more then other companies with teams of engineers and tens of millions in funding
you guys deserve to be 1 of the top platforms

--
soaringeagle
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,697 posts
Point any contacts in the Venture Capital funding field our way ;)
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
we desperately need them for freedoms wings too we might not be able to meet our operating budget this season ..and that's like minimal operating budget let alone the goals i hope to reach (even went out on a limb and reached out to nasa to see if they'd be interested in contributing)
(just cause they have such wide reach in all things aeronautical)

--
soaringeagle
alt=
Lunar54
@lunar54
7 years ago
10 posts
I do not think you would need to create a jr real time streaming network service just have a player that also supports rtmp links if the person wants to use there own stream server
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,697 posts
Got an example of one of those players?
alt=
Lunar54
@lunar54
7 years ago
10 posts
Open Standard Media (OSM) Player
michael
@michael
7 years ago
7,697 posts
Looks to me like you still need an RTMP server to receive the feed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-Time_Messaging_Protocol
alt=
Lunar54
@lunar54
7 years ago
10 posts
Think you miss read what i said Yes you would need a stream link to use that player but you asked for of an example of one that supported rtmp links not supported with service. as for jr if it had a player supporting rtmp wouldn't it be just like adding a youtube link if the user has there own stream server
derrickhand300
@derrickhand300
7 years ago
1,353 posts
You can stream live from iphone using a free iphone app ( I cant recall the name...can be found by searching app store... but I did use it a few times and it worked good)- then embed the youtube video in your page...so what happens is everytime you go "Live" your YT player starts( YT Has LIVE streaming now)
I actually purchased this streaming unit then purchased a BIG Sony battery and attached so i could get several hours of streaming...used it for kids football games but only a few times.
This unit also streams to your YT player so its all free ( I ended up with around $850 in it) I use it with a Sony Handicam- which screws into top..

https://teradek.com/products/vidiu?variant=29318729997
updated by @derrickhand300: 04/25/17 11:47:56AM
alt=
Lunar54
@lunar54
7 years ago
10 posts
Interesting device but wow on the price tag
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
7 years ago
2,583 posts
It does look interesting, and seems fairly cheap to me for what it says it does.

Is it any good? Do you rate it?

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
more then i could afford.
the iphone option sounds interesting if theres an andriod version (i have no mobile period but have access to a few androids)

if i did have 1 with unlimited data i should be able to stream from the air except in remote and mountainous locations right?
that might be the easiest solution a suction mount right to the canopy.... kinda hate using smartphones though

--
soaringeagle
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
7 years ago
2,583 posts
If the only camera you need is a phone you probably don't require anything similar to that box.

Affordability? Just stick a suction cup to the canopy and upload the footage after you have landed.

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
derrickhand300
@derrickhand300
7 years ago
1,353 posts
soaringeagle:
the iphone option sounds interesting if theres an andriod version (i have no mobile period but have access to a few androids)

if i did have 1 with unlimited data i should be able to stream from the air except in remote and mountainous locations right?
that might be the easiest solution a suction mount right to the canopy.... kinda hate using smartphones though

Actually with Verizon the "unlimited" does not apply to their routers or devices that use a personal hotspot- those are limited to 10GB transfer each month- then they slow you down to a max of 3g...I figure keyword is "max.." probably most of it at 2g...found that out when i got an email from them first month of the unlimited plan telling me Im using to much data...they are all rip-offs in my opinion
derrickhand300
@derrickhand300
7 years ago
1,353 posts
SteveX:
If the only camera you need is a phone you probably don't require anything similar to that box.

Affordability? Just stick a suction cup to the canopy and upload the footage after you have landed.

Found the phone app AFTER buying the box...but you get the better camera functions using the Sony Handicam than you do using iphone ( zoom..etc) and now it will actually stream to your facebook LICE timeline- and apparently even to facebook groups-facebook pages etc...but Ive not figured out how to do that yet
derrickhand300
@derrickhand300
7 years ago
1,353 posts
soaringeagle:

Well something comes to mind- when you are in the air you actually have no service unless you use the airlines wifi and i doubt you can stream from it
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
yea we upload alot but we do big events that would be great to have on the site live
plus competitions record attempts etc

oh and had no intention of going with verizon or anything starting with an i or featuring 1/2 eaten fruit

--
soaringeagle
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
derrickhand300:

Well something comes to mind- when you are in the air you actually have no service unless you use the airlines wifi and i doubt you can stream from it
well except we are not in an airliner but a tiny glider
Freedoms Wings Soaring For People With Disabilities
we don't often fly as high as jets (usually under 5,000 but can get as high as jets in wave) no vulnerable electronics and except in rare cross country flights in remote locations should have service no problem..

--
soaringeagle
derrickhand300
@derrickhand300
7 years ago
1,353 posts
soaringeagle:
derrickhand300:

well except we are not in an airliner but a tiny glider
Freedoms Wings Soaring For People With Disabilities
we don't often fly as high as jets (usually under 5,000 but can get as high as jets in wave) no vulnerable electronics and except in rare cross country flights in remote locations should have service no problem..

Ok that sounds cool..I always thought the reason we couldnt get signal on airlines was because we were to far above the towers- I just assumed this because even when they would announce it was ok to use cell phones i could never get a signal..Hopefully 5000 ft works better.
updated by @derrickhand300: 04/26/17 05:16:05PM
derrickhand300
@derrickhand300
7 years ago
1,353 posts
Here is the set up I have rigged up now- if I ever figure out how to get it to go to Facebook Live I will use it here to broadcast some tornado chases to my page..:) When I quit using it a year ago the firmware was really buggy- after this post the other day i got it all out and installed the latest updates- hopefully it will be a little smoother
Cool part of it is you can control everything from a iphone app and you just open the view finder on the camera- no need to press RECORD and waste battery- it transmits whats on the screen without recording
They need to simplify it though
camera-set-up.jpg
camera-set-up.jpg  •  158KB

updated by @derrickhand300: 04/26/17 05:24:25PM
derrickhand300
@derrickhand300
7 years ago
1,353 posts
I think if I had it all to do over again I would start with LIVE AIR SOLO
https://teradek.com/pages/liveair-solo
( I think thats the app I played with)
Allows you to stream to a YT live event and have that player embedded on a page for pretty much no cost..just open the app on your iphone and start streaming from anywhere as long as you have the YT side configured..
It may have FB Live now also-it didnt a year ago but neither did the vidiu...but I noticed it was added after updating the firmware a few days ago..
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
hmmm whats that run ya? i swore i would never have an iphone but the ability to switch cams and such might be worthwhile
he ideal situation would be 1 or 2 in cockpit cams wing and 1 tail "lipstick cams" small real compact cams that shouldnt affect performane severely (they are so finely tuned a squished bug on the wing affects performance)
ofcourse that probly is alot better setup for recording not streamming unless there were an app that could connect to them all and switch views
as far as airliners go ..it is likely-that hey might have some kinda sheilding to protect the elctronics cause they have lil vertical stabalizer shaped antenas atop the body that probly picks up the signals the aircraft bod blocks...just a guess however
5,000 feets just a mile up and usually we stay below the puffy white cumulous clouds jets fly about 35,000.. almost 7 miles up
though cell signal should travel a long way unless blocked by mountains
but since you also lose signal in elevators and tunnels it kinda wakes sense that ..at least in heavies the fuselage might block the signal.. gliders are fiberglass invisible to radar, nothing to block the signal and only a thin plexiglass canopy to block the wind noise (which can be pretty loud at the top speeds)

--
soaringeagle
derrickhand300
@derrickhand300
7 years ago
1,353 posts
If I remember correctly the app was free-kinda shocked me also.

Tags