jrAudio_1089_audio_file.mp3.original.mp3

alt=
@andrusito
3 years ago
302 posts
Hi! I'm on JR Version: 6.1.7 and I need to free up space on my server.

I noticed I have 2 versions for the same song.

By searching here I found Brian recommends this: "Yes - don't delete the "original" files. Jamroom 5 works a little differently in this regards than JR4, as it always keeps the original file for selling, as well as for the ability to re-convert to new formats or bit rates if needed..." but that was 8 years ago.

The thing is I do not use the lo fi versions anymore so I would like to keep the original files. Is there a way to mass delete these duplicate files? will doing so break the site?
Screenshot (270).png
Screenshot (270).png  •  230KB

updated by @andrusito: 09/18/21 01:56:04AM
michael
@michael
3 years ago
7,692 posts
.mp3 files are the only ones that will play over the web so files like .wav need to be converted after uploading so they can play in the audio players.

If someone then went and purchased that file they'd want to get the good copy so the .wav would be delivered. That's why there are 2 versions of files.

From a quick check here if I delete the .original. version the download still works and the player version still works, but if i delete the other one the one without the .orignal. in the file name then the player does not play and the download button does not work.
michael
@michael
3 years ago
7,692 posts
If after that I go to: ACP -> PROFILES -> AUDIO -> TOOLS -> CONVERT AUDIO FILES -> "Force Reconversion" -> SUBMIT

Then the non .original. version is rebuilt from the original version and the player works again and the download works again.

so the .original. version is the one any required formats are built from.
alt=
@andrusito
3 years ago
302 posts
thanks Michael!

In my case there are no wav files and no purchase options on my site :)

you say: "if I delete the .original. version the download still works and the player version still works" so in my case it would be safe to delete the ".original" file, right? Do you know about a mass way to do this?
michael
@michael
3 years ago
7,692 posts
I'm don't feel comfortable saying "Yes, its fine to delete the .original. files" because I have not done enough research on it to know the consequences for sure. Don't like the thought of a week from now you saying "You told me it was fine to delete the files now.............. has happened."

If I was going to delete the original files from my server I think something like a recursive delete function with a wild card would probably work, something like

rm -rf /path/to/the/data/directory/data/*.original.*
Something like that probably works, need to find the right syntax, 'rm -rf' can wipe out the whole server if used wrong. Careful.
alt=
@andrusito
3 years ago
302 posts
Thanks, Michael! I understand what you are saying... Is there any chance Brian could see this? I see he's not been active here for a while... although I understand those original files are copies of what's been uploaded, but if I could get his input just to be sure.
alt=
@andrusito
3 years ago
302 posts
ok I guess Brian is not around... I also noticed .zip files inside every data/media/ folder, what are those? are they safe to delete?
michael
@michael
3 years ago
7,692 posts
Not sure, download one, unzip it. Whats in it?

--edit--
Guess is its probably a 'Bundle' of some separate items that have been grouped for sale.
updated by @michael: 06/15/21 07:50:01PM
alt=
@andrusito
3 years ago
302 posts
hey Michael, yes, you are right!

All the mp3s from that folder are bundled into a zip. And this without me having the shop enabled, terrible waste of space... so not only I have duplicate mp3 files, but another zip with more duplicate files :) - This option was back from the 2000s, when we used to buy mp3s.

Anyway, guess I will delete all those... thank your for wonderful help, man!

Tags