Why does the text sometimes stretch over the border?

Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
2 years ago
823 posts
When posting text links inside a bordered module like the blog, sometimes it stretches over the border? Why is this? I even copied and posted the text as plain text but still it is stretching over?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG  •  663KB

updated by @zachary-moonshine: 06/08/22 02:48:01PM
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
2 years ago
823 posts
I just changed it to a hotlink and shortened the visible text. Just wasn't sure if the skin was supposed to automatically make the contents responsive inside the box. All the other links are resized automatically except that one.
michael
@michael
2 years ago
7,692 posts
Whats the URL? The problem is what nate said. The default browser settings do not know where to wrap the word so its being treated as non-wrappable. There are some css options to try to request a break location. 'word-wrap'
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
2 years ago
823 posts
I posted the same text on Facebook and Instagram and those sites kept it contained within the box, so I'm not sure what it is about the jr site that lets it do this. it's not isolated to only this blog article, it happens in other modules as well. I often modify the text myself after seeing it and change it to a shortened hotlink
michael
@michael
2 years ago
7,692 posts
Zachary Moonshine:...so I'm not sure what it is about the jr site that lets it do this....

Its the CSS rules.

--edit--

https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_word-wrap.asp

https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_word-break.asp
updated by @michael: 03/09/22 02:03:56PM
nate
@nate
2 years ago
911 posts
Zachary Moonshine:
I posted the same text on Facebook and Instagram and those sites kept it contained within the box, so I'm not sure what it is about the jr site that lets it do this. it's not isolated to only this blog article, it happens in other modules as well. I often modify the text myself after seeing it and change it to a shortened hotlink

I know our software is pretty dope, but when you compare us to a multi billion dollar website, it might be a tad unfair.

Why you see the problem is because it doesn't happen very often, although we see it occasionally.. It's really just a simple CSS fix. It is included in some of our skins.
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
2 years ago
823 posts
nate:
Zachary Moonshine:

I know our software is pretty dope, but when you compare us to a multi billion dollar website, it might be a tad unfair.

Why you see the problem is because it doesn't happen very often, although we see it occasionally.. It's really just a simple CSS fix. It is included in some of our skins.

Fair enough. I also never noticed anything like this on competitor sites Ning or Social Engine. It is not a dealbreaker for me since I am primarily the only one posting on my site and I can usually find a workaround to fix things like this with some editing. If I was using this site as it is intended to be used and allowing my community to post it would be a problem though. I figured you guys would want to know in case it is causing issues for others.
nate
@nate
2 years ago
911 posts
I was wondering if UrlScan would be a good solution. That way you only see just the page title and it's clickable. Just an idea.
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
2 years ago
823 posts
Kind of like how it works if you don't paste as plain text? Sometimes that does work. I usually go back and forth depending on what is sent to me to post.