solved Open PDF on page?

Ylva Trollstierna
Ylva Trollstierna
@ylva-trollstierna
8 years ago
6 posts
I have looked everywhere to find if its possible to open a linked PDF on the page (or in a new window) instead of downloading it. but I cant find any answers.

I have created workshops, and it would be so nice if my students could click on the link on the page for an PDF and open it in a new window. The only thing I have found is to upload it in "file" and then to take it down to the computer.

Grateful for any hints or guidance. /Ylva
updated by @ylva-trollstierna: 01/17/17 05:53:46AM
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
Thats a setting in your browser. Firefox and chrome try to open PDF's in the browser. Personally I hate it when they do that. My objection is: "Its not a web page, its a file, let me open it in a PDF file reader (while cursing my browser for changing default options)"

You can probably change the settings of YOUR browser, but you cant force those settings on other peoples browsers.
Ylva Trollstierna
Ylva Trollstierna
@ylva-trollstierna
8 years ago
6 posts
Im so grateful for your answer but that didnt help. I have done the changes in Chrome, even checked it in Explorer and everytime I click on the PDF link I get to the "file" and if I click on the PDF image I get it downloaded (the difference now after changing in chrome is that Im asked where to save it) and if I click on the link I get the same page reopened. What ever I do I get back to the page on "file" and the only way to open it is to download.
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
Try this howto:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/18948/view-docs-and-pdfs-directly-in-google-chrome/

There are lots of "How do I turn it ON" and "How do I turn it OFF" results:
https://www.google.co.jp/?q=chrome+open+pdf+in+browser

If the first doesnt work, try a second.
Ylva Trollstierna
Ylva Trollstierna
@ylva-trollstierna
8 years ago
6 posts
I do so appreciate your time and answer and that was what I was doing after your first answer. And still it doesnt work neither in chrome or Explorer so I think I just have to give that thought up. I had my website at ning before (terrible experience) and then I could open the PDF in the window. But I rather use jamroom and download, love this network. Thank you.

Tags