user tip search engines and system names | what now seems to be ignored

soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
6 years ago
3,304 posts
there seems to have been updates to how title tags are handled, at least by the big 3 search engines (google bing yahoo)

this may get a bit confusing, because you may see unpredictable results when you make changes.

lets take a hypothetical example:
index page has following title tag
<title>my cool page | my very cool site</title>
my cool page is the page title my very cool site system name.

a month ago your site would e listed in each search engine with title

my cool page | my very cool site

not so anymore. now this is where things get confusing.
change either element, and you get an unpredictable result

your listing will show only the page title, or the system name, but not both.
to make matters more confusing, these will switch back and forth several times, sometimes showing only system name or only page title. then eventually settle down to only show page title.

the | divide between the 2 title elements seem to now be interpreted as an "or" as in use this, or that. and search engines then have to figure out which to use.

it is unclear to me at this time what effect this has on seo. if part that is no longer listed is even taken into consideration or not.

It may be simply aesthetics now that many sites just use the domain as the system name portion? it did seem all 3 engines began adopting this practice around the same timeframe.. within weeks of eachother.

at the very least, it changes how the total title is displayed in listings. so this might be something to consider when choosing page titles and system names.
oddly, at least on the index page facebook seems to favor the system name longer. but that too only displays 1 not the other. and also switches between the 2 if 1 or the other is changed

--
soaringeagle
head dreadhead at dreadlocks site
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities

updated by @soaringeagle: 08/24/18 07:21:24AM
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
6 years ago
2,583 posts
Nothing seems to have changed on other sites:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:jamroom.net

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
michael
@michael
6 years ago
7,692 posts
jamroom.net doesnt use the pipe symbol though. It maybe a keyword term thing |

this | that | other | take | your | pick

??
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
6 years ago
2,583 posts
It does use pipe, filter out the archive pages and it's easier to see:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ajamroom.net+-archive&oq=site%3Ajamroom.net+-archive

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
6 years ago
3,304 posts
very weird then
maybe its only when you make a change? maybe it will take a month to recombine them/?
i changed the page title and thats what i saw but i swear i saw it on other pages too
i'll investigate more
might be since those pages wernt updated recently the listins cached and unchanged till content changes?

--
soaringeagle
head dreadhead at dreadlocks site
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities

Tags