Testing the Wall Widget

michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
I'm building a wall feature right now and would like some people to test it out.

Its here:
http://iixxiicc.jamroomhosting.com/test-wall

Signup for an account and report back here the issues you encounter, there will likely be many, some known, some unknown to me, in either case your feedback will be appreciated.
updated by @michael: 12/22/16 11:55:59AM
boplive
@boplive
8 years ago
342 posts
This is interesting...will test it out..thnks
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
Thank you @boplive :)
boplive
@boplive
8 years ago
342 posts
I'm testing it on on a mobile platform first samsung galaxy 4. .on all my 3 browser - chrome, explorer and dolphin the embed local media popup is too much to the left of the screen that it's hard to see the content to choose as well as the other button too much to left not even sure wht that does yet..i know it mentions profile media on top..is there an red alert button under the logo..i see it on dolphin browser but not the other two browser. .but overall looks clean on a tablet..the comment worked and the reply worked and what I wrote showed on my profile
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
The two buttons are:
* the normal embed button that embeds stuff thats on your profile
* a create button that embeds stuff while also adding it to your profile.

Thanks for the info on the tablet, I haven't got one of those.

--edit--
I can see an issue that needs addressing, its how to locate the newer comments and stuff.

Whenever anything is commented on or replies added, that thing comes to the top, but in a busy system it could be hard to locate the new stuff you're interested in. I'll need to think about how to address that. Thanks.
updated by @michael: 01/12/16 04:54:55PM
boplive
@boplive
8 years ago
342 posts
Adding an update button right next to the delete button will be very helpful :)
boplive
@boplive
8 years ago
342 posts
Hi Michael. .are you planning to make this widget available any time soon after doing the testing
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
Want to get this one working a lot better than it is currently. As soon as others started using it I saw a whole host of issues.

The notification system needs the most work.
jimmyk
jimmyk
@jimmy
8 years ago
514 posts
Looks interesting!
boplive
@boplive
8 years ago
342 posts
Hi Michael, Any chance you been able to work on this module to get it closer to where it should be. I know you was away traveling...hope it was adventurous :)
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
Im in summertime now but also working. What I realized is its never going to be as good as I need it to be without more underlying technology. So working on that right now.

The notification system needs to be more instant.
boplive
@boplive
8 years ago
342 posts
I'm still tinkering around with the widget...i just learned something new on my phone with the create button that embed stuff..
Ceri
Ceri
@adolygwr
8 years ago
370 posts
Really looking forward to this release. When it comes out I plan to put it on my home page tab number 1. imho it is the one feature that has been missing in Jamroom so far and I KNOW it will be better implemented here than ever it was in that other place (shudder) :)

--
Ceri Shaw - AmeriCymru
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
The hold up on it is the notification system. Want to get a notification system that works to keep you informed. Thanks for helping me understand where the weak-points are.
Ceri
Ceri
@adolygwr
8 years ago
370 posts
My shopping list of features for the new wall widget (forgive me if I'm stating the obvious or being over ambitious/downright ridiculous)

ESSENTIAL

1. A notification icon with dropdown to show you what responses you have to your posts when you log in.

2. An email every time you get a response to a post so you know there's a reason to log in and reply.

HIGHLY DESIRABLE

3. The ability for ALL members to follow a thread so that even if you didn't initiate it OR haven't posted to it yet you can stay informed via email of the latest comments.

4. The ability to follow hashtags so you can stay informed via email about any new content on hashtags that interest you.

DESIRABLE

5. FB, Twitter and G+ share/like buttons on all threads. With these you can inform non site members about threads on your site by posting to those networks and perhaps encourage them to join. They have this on Ning 2 I believe and its very handy. The buttons need not be on every comment, just for the thread as a whole.

6. The ability to post content items to the wall. This should be a simple optional check box for blogs photos music etc. With this members can post their content, or snippets thereof, to the 'front page' if they so desire.

Just my twopence worth :)

--
Ceri Shaw - AmeriCymru

updated by @adolygwr: 03/07/16 12:56:24PM
Bandwerkstatt
Bandwerkstatt
@bandwerkstatt
8 years ago
224 posts
... wouw, that would be fantastic!!!
Ceri
Ceri
@adolygwr
8 years ago
370 posts
Another thing I was wondering....is there any chance of betaing this 'live' on a production site?

--
Ceri Shaw - AmeriCymru
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
When it gets to beta. its still in development right now, not even alpha status I reckon.
Once it gets to beta I'll let you know.

Thought it was closer than it is, but after having other actual live users using it I see many critical flaws.

Thanks for all the suggestions, nothing is ever obvious to me so stating it is very good. I quite often approach things from what I think is the 'normal' angle only to find out that's not how everyone else thinks. So thanks for stating anything obvious.
BigRussian
BigRussian
@bigrussian
8 years ago
12 posts
Nice mod... looking forward to its release!
DFN
DFN
@dfn
8 years ago
35 posts
This will be an awesome addition!
gary.moncrieff
gary.moncrieff
@garymoncrieff
8 years ago
865 posts
It may not be obvious to all but this isn't an updated timeline as such. If you post a blog for example it doesn't show in the wall, this is separate and you can have multiple instances of the wall, each with their own distinct content. IE an item posted on one wall wrong side on a different wall.
derrickhand300
@derrickhand300
8 years ago
1,353 posts
Could it BE USED as an activity timeleine?
Ceri
Ceri
@adolygwr
8 years ago
370 posts
gary.moncrieff:
It may not be obvious to all but this isn't an updated timeline as such. If you post a blog for example it doesn't show in the wall, this is separate and you can have multiple instances of the wall, each with their own distinct content. IE an item posted on one wall wrong side on a different wall.

True that...but supposing you post a blog, while it will not automatically appear (unless provision for that is built in) you can always drop a link to it on the Wall. Not disagreeing with what you are saying but just want to point out that IF admins were to use this as the key feature on the home page their sites it could STILL function as a site 'front page'. Most contributors know that the most visited page on a site is the home page and though they may be using share buttons to distribute their stuff on the major SN's they STILL want the added cache of being on the front page imho.

--
Ceri Shaw - AmeriCymru

updated by @adolygwr: 03/09/16 12:16:56PM
boplive
@boplive
8 years ago
342 posts
I think I can live with separating items between what shows in the profile timeline and what shows on the wall if it's on the home page..i know i can work something out to work around it..i believe Michael mentioned elsewhere that there are still things he is trying to sort out..especially the notification system..which is what he is long into making it how it supposed to work
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
It could be used as the central location to upload stuff. The normal flow right now is:
* user adds something to a profile (ie an audio file)
* lists are build of stuff from profiles

It could be used with the flow of:
* user clicks the 'create profile media' and adds media (ie an audio file)
* the audio file is added to their profiles AUDIO tab AND shows on the wall.

So its just a different flow.
derrickhand300
@derrickhand300
8 years ago
1,353 posts
What I am looking for is
USER ADDS NEW CONTENT TO WEBSITE
NEW CONTENT IS DISPLAYED ON WALL ON HOME PAGE IN CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER
options to like and share on facebook under each item..
content refreshes in real time using push notifications
:) Thats what I am talking about for MY needs
Ceri
Ceri
@adolygwr
8 years ago
370 posts
michael:
It could be used as the central location to upload stuff. The normal flow right now is:
* user adds something to a profile (ie an audio file)
* lists are build of stuff from profiles

It could be used with the flow of:
* user clicks the 'create profile media' and adds media (ie an audio file)
* the audio file is added to their profiles AUDIO tab AND shows on the wall.

So its just a different flow.

Perfect :)

On Ning stuff that got posted to the wall eventually disappeared as more stuff was added. I think Ning 3 allocates a dedicated url for each wall post which is handy but with the flow you describe above anything added to the wall will get a profile url anyway. Just wondering tho....if someone comments on something on the wall post does that go to the corresponding profile page as well?

--
Ceri Shaw - AmeriCymru

updated by @adolygwr: 03/10/16 01:39:05PM
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
yep, I just went here: http://iixxiicc.jamroomhosting.com/b360/wall and commented on the video post there.

Then went to the location that wall post was at originally: http://iixxiicc.jamroomhosting.com/test-wall

Before the comment it was down at #4 ish, then after the comment (that happened on the PROFILE) the post had moved to the top of the wall again.

comments that are added to the post make the post come to the top again because there is activity on them. Regardless of whether the comment post was made on the profile or on the wall.

The difference is the wall items that are displayed on the users PROFILE do not run in "last commented at top" order, they're in as-they-were-posted order.

So that screws it up for you naked mole rat, or sea pig, or whatever that image is of curtis. ;)

Because when a comment is made it brings the post back to the top.
derrickhand300
@derrickhand300
8 years ago
1,353 posts
haha like your new image-is it a caricature? :)
Ceri
Ceri
@adolygwr
8 years ago
370 posts
michael:
yep, I just went here: http://iixxiicc.jamroomhosting.com/b360/wall and commented on the video post there.
Then went to the location that wall post was at originally: http://iixxiicc.jamroomhosting.com/test-wall
Before the comment it was down at #4 ish, then after the comment (that happened on the PROFILE) the post had moved to the top of the wall again.
comments that are added to the post make the post come to the top again because there is activity on them. Regardless of whether the comment post was made on the profile or on the wall.
The difference is the wall items that are displayed on the users PROFILE do not run in "last commented at top" order, they're in as-they-were-posted order.
So that screws it up for you naked mole rat, or sea pig, or whatever that image is of curtis.
Because when a comment is made it brings the post back to the top.

Works for me :)

--
Ceri Shaw - AmeriCymru
Bandwerkstatt
Bandwerkstatt
@bandwerkstatt
8 years ago
224 posts
... any news or plan, when it´s final? :)
boplive
@boplive
8 years ago
342 posts
This topic has been very quiet
Ceri
Ceri
@adolygwr
8 years ago
370 posts
Toooooo quiet :) Waiting for news on this AND the new chat module mentioned elsewhere. Anything? :)

--
Ceri Shaw - AmeriCymru
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
Not working on this right now, other things are taking up my time. The chat will probably appear sooner.
PatriaCo
PatriaCo
@the-patria-company
8 years ago
349 posts
Hey @michael,

Can I take a look at your template code for this module please? I am working on a grid style - profile level - timeline template, that I can share with the JR community (so far it is working really nice). I would like to add images and video images, that pop out into a light box viewer/player.

I really like what you already have here so far. :) Good Job!

--
The Patria Company - patriaco.com / quality-trades.com / a-t.life - doing Jamroom since v3
michael
@michael
8 years ago
7,697 posts
The template code isn't going to help you any because each module produces their own variable names. You can take the outputted HTML directly from the site and use that in structuring your module.

Tags