Questions about simple chat

perrie
@perrie
7 years ago
435 posts
Hi Everyone,
I have a few questions about simple chat. At the present, I am trying it out in a test group that I have set up on the Jamroom server. It doesn't seem to be giving a notification sound of any sort when a new message comes in, which obviously it's supposed to do.

Also, is there a way to shrink the size of the chat module? Right now it is taking up the full right side of the page, and that is where all my advertising is. I would like to reduce it to about the size of CC chat. Is that possible?
Thanks!

updated by @perrie: 12/01/17 10:10:33PM
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
i only use it on 1 site and it hasn't been used much i use cometchat on my busy site
but why do you want a chat box on the page and not just the lil popout chat thingy?
i use it on www.freedomswings.org you see its just a lil tab bottom right corner unobstrusive entirely

--
soaringeagle
head dreadhead at dreadlocks site
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
srry can only see it when logged in
1.jpg
1.jpg  •  267KB

--
soaringeagle
glider pilot student and member/volunteer coordinator with freedoms wings international soaring for people with disabilities
perrie
@perrie
7 years ago
435 posts
I know it's like that when it isn't being used SE, but when it is being used it takes up the whole right side of the page.
soaringeagle
@soaringeagle
7 years ago
3,304 posts
true srry thought u had a chat on the page itself fwiw highest clickthroughs are top between menu and content and left side
or in content
right side gets significantly fewer ad clicks

options
1 adjust the size using css or with css add a lil background transparency

but reaslly by the time they click open the chat they would have seen the ads
you could maybe even limit its height to 400 px or something 1 sec
been experimenting
it doiesnt cover any content it pushes it over
i can adjust the chat room size but theres a grey background it sits in that i cannot find that div to adjust its size

--
soaringeagle
gary.moncrieff
gary.moncrieff
@garymoncrieff
7 years ago
865 posts
IIRC Simple Chat uses the web browser notifications systems, so you would first have to accept notifications for the site in the browser. You should have seen a popup asking you to allow this site to use notifications.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
7 years ago
3,602 posts
Perrie, the JrChat has little arrows near the bottom to enlarge or shrink the chat window when it's in use. Do you not see that? It also has a 'new window' option there with the arrows.

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015
perrie
@perrie
7 years ago
435 posts
Thanks everyone for your help!
SE, I think you have something there.. still messing around with it.
Gary, so far, no notifications yet. Not sure why.
Strumelia, we use chat differently than most sites. It's kind of used as a way to mitigate issues and not just chit chat, so I really do need it on every page.. hopefully I can get it to a more usable size. I'll let everyone know.