solved Change Notifications To Private Notes?

Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
In the top of the menu on the right next to my picture are 3 small images that reflect different types of notifications is it possible to replace this with one simple alert icon and link it to my private notes?
notifications.PNG
notifications.PNG  •  5KB

updated by @zachary-moonshine: 07/23/18 05:39:51AM
nate
@nate
6 years ago
911 posts
No not really. You're basically wanting to replace the entire system.
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
this is what i would love to have something more like this.
nate
@nate
6 years ago
911 posts
You want to reduce it to one icon you can look at the JS. It won't be a simple job.
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
i added a menu item called inbox and linked it to private notes but it does not show a number on it to grab attention to new notes, is it possible to add a code to that then to make it show a number of notes ?
private notes.PNG
private notes.PNG  •  8KB

Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
I know we did this once before in the profile users menu but i think it would be better to have it at the very top so it can grab maximum attention, what do you suggest?
nate
@nate
6 years ago
911 posts
Look at the js and see how we're getting counts. You'll want to combine them.
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
not sure what you mean ?
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
Well what about this since you already have private notes as an alert system built in why not add it to the top of the pages instead of being hidden in the drop down ? It seems like that should be pretty simple to do ?
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
Zach, I'm hearing that you want to somehow make members more aware of when they have unread PMs... correct?

1) So far, like most of us you have the 'private messages' link in the user drop-down menu under their name along the top navigation bar links (visible on every page)... and that a number shows after that link when there are unread messages... correct?

2) I'm wondering if you also have in place the Profile Page TAB that also will show the current number of unread messages that I have on member profile pages. If not, you might like to add it as well. Not sure if that would be enough for your wants though, knowing you are hinting at something more aggressive to notify of unread messages.
See this screenshot from my site showing the profile page TAB with number:
PMS.jpg
PMS.jpg  •  228KB

--
...just another satisfied Jamroom customer.
Migrated from Ning to Jamroom June 2015

updated by @strumelia: 04/17/18 06:20:27AM
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
Yes I remember when we did that my old jr site had that as well and that is awesome but I keep thinking if we can put it there why not put it at the top so its seen no matter what page a user is on ya know.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
Yes I can understand that you might want that.

--
douglas
@douglas
6 years ago
2,767 posts
Zachary Moonshine"]
Yes I remember when we did that my old jr site had that as well and that is awesome but I keep thinking if we can put it there why not put it at the top so its seen no matter what page a user is on ya know.

No reason you can't do this for your skin.

MediaPro has this already, should look something like this:

{if isset($_user.user_jrPrivateNote_unread_count) && $_user.user_jrPrivateNote_unread_count > 0}
    <a href="{$jamroom_url}/note/notes">In Box</a> ({$_user.user_jrPrivateNote_unread_count})
{else}
    <a href="{$jamroom_url}/note/notes" target="_top">In Box (0)</a>
{/if}

Hope this helps!

--

Douglas Hackney
Jamroom Team - Designer/Developer/Support
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
Cool. Now I just need to know where exactly to past this code?
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
Paste I mean sorry
douglas
@douglas
6 years ago
2,767 posts
Zachary Moonshine:
Cool. Now I just need to know where exactly to past this code?

If you want it to show on every page, paste it somewhere in your header.tpl.

Hope this helps!

--

Douglas Hackney
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
Ok I will try it tonight when I get home
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
ok i played with it and it showed up but it was off to the far right at top of screen and kinda looked strange is it possible to modify this bit of code to make this icon target the private notes and show the number of unread notes?
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG  •  9KB

updated by @zachary-moonshine: 04/18/18 07:43:26PM
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
thanks @douglas that works sort of i have it in the menu but it splits apart the text in box went to the left of the menu and the numbers went to the right so i deleted the text and it has the numbers next to a menu button i already had linked to the private notes so it works sort of but on mobile all i see is the numbers no button since i deleted it to make it look right on desktop version .... If i could make the desktop menu resemble the mobile menu it would work perfectly i am not sure i think i saw someone else asking about that somewhere else in this forum?
updated by @zachary-moonshine: 04/20/18 03:46:42PM
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
see it looks awesome like this when you squeeze the page down to resemble mobile view but not soo much when its full desktop view i have to have 2 buttons saying inbox... so is it possible to make the site always have the mobile menu?
desktop.PNG
desktop.PNG  •  51KB

mobile view.PNG
mobile view.PNG  •  26KB

SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
6 years ago
2,583 posts
Alter your css to apply the rules from within the mobile breakpoint media query to apply to widescreen.

If you don't know about responsive css search css media query for a starting point.

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
Ok so its just a code I would add to the whole site?
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
is this what you are talking about @ultrajam
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG  •  23KB

updated by @zachary-moonshine: 04/21/18 08:09:47AM
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
6 years ago
2,583 posts
That is a media query, I have no idea if it is the one you are looking for to alter your site though.

--
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Education, learning resources, TEL, AR/VR/MR, CC licensed content, panoramas, interactive narrative, sectional modules (like jrDocs), lunch at Uni of Bristol. Get in touch if you share my current interests or can suggest better :)
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
would it be easier to just make the code he gave me for the inbox to only show on mobile view?
SteveX
SteveX
@ultrajam
6 years ago
2,583 posts
It depends what you want to do.
Zachary Moonshine:
so is it possible to make the site always have the mobile menu?
To make the site always have the mobile menu you would change the css.

--
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
ok i deleted one space after the > in his string of code and it did this so this is good i guess now i can just delete the menu button i created and it will look fine
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG  •  332KB

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
As per your other current 'mobile view'-related support threads- make sure you are testing this also on a mobile device that is not really old.

--
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
No i better not alter the css to make the menu disappear this is perfect now the way it is but i do have one question @douglas about the number of unread notes it only refreshes when you log out and back in, is it possible to make it refresh everytime the page is refreshed?
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
yes @strumelia now that i have that thing on firefox i will just test everything on that first and a new phone is on my list now hahahha
douglas
@douglas
6 years ago
2,767 posts
Zachary Moonshine:
No i better not alter the css to make the menu disappear this is perfect now the way it is but i do have one question @douglas about the number of unread notes it only refreshes when you log out and back in, is it possible to make it refresh everytime the page is refreshed?

You could reset your cache or wait for the cache timer to run out.
ACP > Core > System Core > General > Cache Seconds

Other than that, there isn't anything that will do what you want that I'm aware of.

Hope this helps!

--

Douglas Hackney
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
Zach- as Douglas points out... there is the cache seconds setting. The default on my site was at 300 seconds, but I changed it a while back to 235 and that seemed to help my site without ill effects. You don't want to go too low though, or that may create other unwanted issues, depending on your site. (the suggested defaults are usually for good reason)

--
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
@strumelia you did that and you can see your private notes unread number update as you refresh pages?
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
No, I did it for some other reason long ago, forgot why now. But it does make the set length of time when the site would normally refresh itself automatically shorter (without you manually resetting cache). I seem to recall that if you set that TOO low (seconds-wise) it would start slowing the whole site down. But 235 seconds seemed to work as a nice balance for me. I would not suggest going below 200.

I know you have in place more things to try and make refreshes more 'live' on your site than I do (probably to accommodate heavy metal users' attention deficit syndrome trauma..hahah just kidding, but hey my dulcimer site is for slow talking middle aged musicians) ...so you and I have slightly different needs. I don't need such instant refreshing stuff on my site, so I can't actually help you there specifically.

--

updated by @strumelia: 04/23/18 07:27:45AM
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
I vaguely remember facebook being like that when they first created that site. You had to refresh the page or log out n back in to see any activity or notifications but now days its pretty standard for everything to be instant on just about any site. I think any community or social media site would benefit from that.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
OTOH it's annoying and distracting if you are looking over the front page of a site like JR or Ning and suddenly the view refreshes and the the things you were looking over disappear ...like a chair getting pulled out from under you as you're about to sit down. ;)

--
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
Lmao not the whole page refreshing ... just the number next to the notification icon. Hahah I have never seen the whole page refresh like that on itself on anything. That would be crazy.
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
6 years ago
3,602 posts
Happens all the time on like Google News for instance.

--
Zachary Moonshine
Zachary Moonshine
@zachary-moonshine
6 years ago
823 posts
yeah that sounds like google hahhah But you know what i mean i am sure you have used or use FB, twitter or something else that gives u a little number up top. I changed my cache to what you have and it seems to be working so far.