solved My test email failed - how can I find the source of this problem?

researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
4 years ago
694 posts
I have been trying to test send an email newsletter from the Newsletter module on my JR site. That failed to arrive.

So next I tried to send myself a test email using the email module. That also failed to arrive.

My own email address has not changed. The problem is not my address.

Does this depend on having an up-to-date paid account with Mailgun? As far as I know, I am a paid up subscriber for that service.

Looking back at messages sent from the site to me, the usual Daily Tracker Reports ceased arriving after the 1st May 2020.

Have all kinds of messaging from the site ceased?

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)

updated by @researchcooperative: 10/07/20 10:13:01AM
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
4 years ago
694 posts
ps I recently approved all the pending module updates

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
Migrated from Ning 2.0. Now at Jamroom 6 beta and using Jamroom Hosting for The Research Cooperative (researchcooperative.org)
douglas
@douglas
4 years ago
2,767 posts
You don't have any aliases set up for your email here:
EMail Aliases

--

Douglas Hackney
Jamroom Team - Designer/Developer/Support
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
4 years ago
694 posts
Thanks,

In both communication modules (Newsletter, Email), the destination address for email from the site is my gmail address. (My "JR site" is the site I have hosted at JR, not my account dashboard at jamroom.net)

Should the destination mail for communication from my JR hosted site be designated as both the incoming address and the forwarding address in the alias settings for my jamroom.net account? Or are our wires crossed?

Until May I was receiving the emails sent from support@mysite. Do I really need to set up an alias at jamroom.net now?

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
4 years ago
694 posts
In the email alias help note, we are told the following:

"Enter the Email Address that you want to create. Any email received for this address will be forwarded to the Forward Address."

Can this be clarified? I suppose this refers to an email address created with the suffix _______@yourdomain

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
michael
@michael
4 years ago
7,692 posts
Probably the issue is the changes at mailgun. About 3 months ago you probably started getting invoices from them each month for maybe $0.80 for emails.

they removed their free tier which included 10,000 emails for free and email aliases.

I can see your server is still setup with an mailgun key:
https://www.jamroom.net/researchcooperative/hosting/server_config/37

This means you're running on your own mailgun account. We've just built a system to get around this: What we've built is a way for you to run off of our mailgun account. We pay the $30 per month so that routing can be enabled.

If you'd like to be moved over to this new system we can delete your mailgun key from your account and you can use ours if you like.

ADVANTAGES:
* no fixed monthly fee

DISADVANTAGES:
* per 1000 emails are slightly higher than if you had your own mailgun account

-------
Email Delivery

Jamroom Hosting uses Mailgun for all email delivery.

The first 1,000 emails sent or received each month are free - additional email is charged at a rate of $1 per thousand sent or received.

You can also use your own Mailgun plan if you wish - contact support and we can set you up.
--------
https://www.jamroom.net/hosting

You WILL need to re-setup each of the email aliases again after I remove the mailgun api key though, so make sure you keep a record of the aliases you have.
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
4 years ago
694 posts
Hi.. I like this new option - it simplifies my operation and the slight extra cost is no problem. As far as I know I have no aliases that need to be recorded. Please go ahead. Thanks

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
michael
@michael
4 years ago
7,692 posts
Your server has been changed over to our mailgun account. See if its all working for you now.
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
4 years ago
694 posts
Thanks.

I tried to send a test newsletter and email, but nothing came through. Not even in my spam folder. I must be missing a basic setting somewhere

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
michael
@michael
4 years ago
7,692 posts
Can you delete your mailgun account, or delete all the sites from your mailgun account please. Could be that having the same domain registered at 2 mailgun accounts causes issues.
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
4 years ago
694 posts
Hi - thanks. I have just now cancelled the Mailgun account, and will try my site mail again tomorrow.

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
4 years ago
694 posts
Mail system is still not reaching me (and users of my site, according to one of my new members). I will set up a private support ticket for this. Thanks

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto
researchcooperative
@researchcooperative
4 years ago
694 posts
Hello world... the problem has been solved :-)

1. My credit card changed a few months ago and my mailgun account went into arrears.
2. My login details were hard to track down and I had to operate the 2 factor system to get in to my mailgun account.
3. I paid the arrears (almost nothing) and closed the account.
4. JR team has set up their management of mailgun servicing of my site, and that is now working.

Question - does mailgun keep logs of mail that are now accessible by JR. Are there privacy issues to be considered here?

(For my site, it matters little as the site is essentially meant for public communication. My members should assume that there is no real privacy, even if their communications are private 99.9% of the time.)

--
PJ Matthews, Kyoto

updated by @researchcooperative: 07/08/20 04:24:28AM
michael
@michael
4 years ago
7,692 posts
Nice one. Thanks for the update, I was running out of locations to check.

Yes there are privacy concerns, and yes it is possible for any of the JR staff to check the logs and see what emails go through your account. But since email is inherently insecure these concerns should register as no higher than google reading your mail, your internet service provider reading your mail, mailgun reading your mail.

Mail is not secure just by its nature. You can setup encryption but that involves sending the recipient a key in advance that syncs with your email client. Nobody does that. most just know not to put credit card details or sensitive data in emails.

If you're concerned about login info, turn on the Two Factor Authenitcation module that sends you an email every time you login.