PHP 8.0

TiG
TiG
@tig
2 years ago
184 posts
Do we need to do something special to have PHP 8.0 support on JR hosted servers? I ask because in our development site (alpha) PHP 8.0 does not seem to be active. The function str_contains() for example is not found.

--
TiG

updated by @tig: 04/26/22 02:56:56PM
douglas
@douglas
2 years ago
2,767 posts
Hey TiG,

Brian knows about this but I know he has been busy so he may not have remembered.

I'll remind him again.

Thanks!

--

Douglas Hackney
Jamroom Team - Designer/Developer/Support
FAQ-Docs-Help Videos
brian
@brian
2 years ago
10,136 posts
Yep sorry about this - have been out this last week and forgot to follow up on this when I got back.

Right now we do not support PHP 8 on existing servers - we can migrate your existing site to a NEW server that would support PHP 8 if that sounds good.

Just an FYI that in my testing here however, 7.4 is more performant than 8 - I would not upgrade to 8 just for str_contains() (you can always use strpos).

Shoot an email to support if you'd like to move servers.

Thanks!

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
TiG
TiG
@tig
2 years ago
184 posts
Brian and Douglas

Thanks for the response. I was asking because of the PHP 8 support changes I noticed in JR updates. I figured this meant that JR was PHP 8 ready and that the JR hosted servers would naturally follow.

I have no need to move to PHP 8. We (NewsTalkers) will be happy to wait until JR officially recommends PHP 8.

Thanks much,
TiG

--
TiG

Tags