solved How to add or edit Blog Categories?

pch
@pch
11 months ago
328 posts
Hello,

Please, can someone tell me how to add new Blog Categories to be used in the JR system or edit existing ones?

Thanks

updated by @pch: 09/12/23 07:59:16AM
michael
@michael
11 months ago
7,695 posts
Go to your profile then to the BLOG tab and click the + button. A form will open to create a new blog post. On that form is a field CATEGORY. you can choose from the existing list of blog post categories or add a new one. The list will be of all existing blog post categories. To delete a category move or delete all blog posts from that category and it will disappear.
blog.jpg
blog.jpg  •  728KB

pch
@pch
11 months ago
328 posts
Hi @michael,

Thanks a lot for the reply. Oh ok, got it now! I've thought that there was a place in the backend where the admin could create pre-defined categories to be used globally, instead of members creating them when adding a blog post.

Now what about how to edit an existing category name? Also, can blog categories be translated, in case of multilingual website?

Thanks
brian
@brian
11 months ago
10,139 posts
pch:
Now what about how to edit an existing category name?

Just modify the blog entry and change the category name to what you want it to be.

Quote:
Also, can blog categories be translated, in case of multilingual website?

You would have to do something custom there - blog categories are not part of the JR language system.

--
Brian Johnson
Founder and Lead Developer - Jamroom
https://www.jamroom.net
michael
@michael
11 months ago
7,695 posts
Multi lingual in the same site is hard to get right. Almost better to just let google do the translating. When I want to translate sites I use google chrome because I can right click on any page and select "Translate to english" and its done.

The problem you're going to run into with categories in different languages is the text thats uses IS the category, so
dog = dogs
cats = cats

change that to a different language and you get
inu = dogs
nekko = cats

and the dogs and cats of different languages aren't grouped together anymore.

Even with the translating the language strings its not great because some sentence structures just don't line up
button.jpg
button.jpg  •  1.1MB

not-images.jpg
not-images.jpg  •  1.6MB

updated by @michael: 06/11/23 11:27:25PM
pch
@pch
11 months ago
328 posts
brian:
pch:
Now what about how to edit an existing category name?

Just modify the blog entry and change the category name to what you want it to be.

Quote:
Also, can blog categories be translated, in case of multilingual website?

You would have to do something custom there - blog categories are not part of the JR language system.

Got it! Thanks @Brian
pch
@pch
11 months ago
328 posts
michael:
Multi lingual in the same site is hard to get right. Almost better to just let google do the translating. When I want to translate sites I use google chrome because I can right click on any page and select "Translate to english" and its done.

You are right @Michael. Working with a multilingual website is always challenging and tricky. It's difficult to get everything right. Thanks for the suppport.

Tags